14 hours ago, 96701 said:

London Euston. I remember seeing it as a child when it was nearly new, and what a bright, clean open space the concourse seemed to be considering it was the mid to late sixties, and a lot of the railways where I was brought up were filthy and run down.

One day last year I was struck by what a clean and simple design the concourse area is, a mate and I had worked a couple of ballast trains down to Wembley during the first lockdown and making our way home via Euston we walked up the slope to a completely empty concourse, we were the only two people there, it was quite surreal in a way! My mate too ka few photos of the vast open space on his phone, we'll probably never see that again in out lifetime.

• Like 6
18 hours ago, w124bob said:

The best terminal stations were the ones where I could get decent fish n chips whilst on my PNB.

Definitely. As as a start I give you Hadleys at Whitby and The Cornerstone at Mallaig.

In June 2019 I did a 13 hour round trip from Glasgow just to visit the Cornerstone and then a ice cream (the trip was nice as well!).

7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

One day last year I was struck by what a clean and simple design the concourse area is, a mate and I had worked a couple of ballast trains down to Wembley during the first lockdown and making our way home via Euston we walked up the slope to a completely empty concourse, we were the only two people there, it was quite surreal in a way! My mate too ka few photos of the vast open space on his phone, we'll probably never see that again in out lifetime.

The cleanup/refurb a few years ago really spruced the place up no end. The ceiling of the concourse is actually lovely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have C.J. Gammell's book 'Scottish Branch Lines' (OPC 1999) and of the many picturesque termini on display the one which captivates me the most is an elevated overall view of Macduff, at the end of the 30-mile GNSR branch from Inveramsay. Two-road station building with single passenger platform, bay for fish vans and small goods shed built on the side; goods platform and cattle dock with additional siding alongside; turntable with kick-back into a compact two-road engine shed built into the hillside. All buildings apart from the wooden signalbox solidly built in stone as the sea was just a few hundred yards away, which probably explains the lack of trees! Just beyond the terminus was the fishing port. Despite passenger services being withdrawn on 1 October 1950 all of the infrastructure remained intact ten years later - the line remained open for freight until 1 August 1961. GNSR 4-4-0 No 49 'Gordon Highlander' worked railtours to Macduff in 1960 & 1962; the photo records the first tour on 13 June 1960. From a modelling viewpoint lots of operational interest in what looks like a compact site, and if tree-modelling isn't your thing.........:good:!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads original station.  Abroad - any Paris terminus.   How about the old Euston's Great Hall?

Birkenhead Woodside.

A two-company station which had a compact, interesting layout, plenty of atmosphere, and a ‘big station’ presence, in a ‘minories’ sort of way.

Tunnel one end, river ferry terminal at the other, plus a bus terminal one side, ship dry-dock the other. Fascinating to me as a child - I loved it, and treasure it’s memory.

• Like 1

Ventnor on the Isle of Wight - compact in an old quarry, with tunnel approach to act as scenic break busy service( in summer time).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
8 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

I have C.J. Gammell's book 'Scottish Branch Lines' (OPC 1999) and of the many picturesque termini on display the one which captivates me the most is an elevated overall view of Macduff, at the end of the 30-mile GNSR branch from Inveramsay. Two-road station building with single passenger platform, bay for fish vans and small goods shed built on the side; goods platform and cattle dock with additional siding alongside; turntable with kick-back into a compact two-road engine shed built into the hillside. All buildings apart from the wooden signalbox solidly built in stone as the sea was just a few hundred yards away, which probably explains the lack of trees! Just beyond the terminus was the fishing port. Despite passenger services being withdrawn on 1 October 1950 all of the infrastructure remained intact ten years later - the line remained open for freight until 1 August 1961. GNSR 4-4-0 No 49 'Gordon Highlander' worked railtours to Macduff in 1960 & 1962; the photo records the first tour on 13 June 1960. From a modelling viewpoint lots of operational interest in what looks like a compact site, and if tree-modelling isn't your thing.........:good:!

I have to agree on that one. I have always thought Macduff had the perfect track layout for a model terminus. Bay platforms are a bit of an anathema to me on model GWR termini as they were so rare in real life but fully half of GNSR branch termini had them. Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Macduff, Banff and Ballater had them. Lossiemouth, Alford, Oldmeldrum,  St Combs and Boddam did't.

Ballater was also a very nice terminus-  with added Royal trains. 

• Like 1
On 27/04/2021 at 12:56, APOLLO said:

Leeds City / Deltics / Short trains / compact.

May do one day !!!

Brit15

Do you mean Leeds Central? 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, swampy said:

Do you mean Leeds Central? 

Yes I do - my mistake, thanks.

Brit15

Lyon Saint-Paul (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gare+de+Lyon-St-Paul/@45.7662734,4.824702,160m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47f4eb00f98d66a1:0xccf3d2620d0d3439!8m2!3d45.7660445!4d4.8269702?hl=en-GB

Four platform faces, becoming two tracks before going into a tunnel. Behind the platforms is a very tall retaining wall. The flattened-out loop around the car park is a return loop for the trolley-bus- previously, it had been part of a small goods-depot. When I first visited it, in the late 1970s, It had overhead electrification, but all services were DMU-operated. Some electric services have now returned, with the conversion of the line to L'Arbresle and beyond, to St Foy L'Argentiere to tram-trains. Diesel services still run to Lozanne.

In short, it's one of the few main-line terminals of modelable size, with built-in scenic breaks behind, and to both sides.

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, clachnaharry said:

Ballater was also a very nice terminus-  with added Royal trains. 

.......and was also the original stamping ground for this interesting device - BEMU Sc79998/9 in a previous life!

2045484619_750913_RDB975003_4SwinWks.jpg.20df3b70386bf4693720086d3801eac4.jpg

(Photographed at Swindon Works on 13/9/75, the same day as the Works Open Day. Nice weather for it!)

• Like 5
On 27/04/2021 at 08:29, MyRule1 said:

How about three termini that are the end of the line for TOC services  but continue as links to preserved lines who also have termini, either the the same station or further on: Sheringham, Alton and East Grinstead.

Not forgetting Paignton!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I've liked a lot of those suggested so far. I'll add Brighton, simply because when I was writing my MA thesis on crime in Victorian Brighton I used to get the train to the research library and the station was being renovated. A fine Victorian terminal.

Terry

• Like 2

Interesting selections ...

There was a good '60s Ventnor photo taken from above the tunnel mouth entrance. Interesting track layout with sidings disappearing into weeds.

Which termini have the most interesting track layouts  ?

Who designed prototype station track layouts on first opening ?

Macduff had a very tall church in the background.

Some termini were originally designed as through stations e.g. Ballater, Fairford, Tetbury(?) but the line never progressed.

19 minutes ago, Piston said:

Which termini have the most interesting track layouts  ?

North Woolwich with its turntable for run rounds is one that would fit here.

• RMweb Gold

Kings Cross, although not just a terminus. With York Road & Hotel curve (Platform 16) it was also a through station.

The Napier hum at the buffer stops ......need I say more..

On 27/04/2021 at 16:19, w124bob said:

The best terminal stations were the ones where I could get decent fish n chips whilst on my PNB.

I would like to agree a lot more, but, for reasons, the powers that be  one day decided they did not like us having PNB at any of our terminii....

so we kind of had to make do and mend ;)

One really good one they couldn't stop was way down at Penzance, there was a great chippy just round the corner, and also one at the top of the hill