Bachmann Bogie Well Wagons... Are they all the same??

Esmedune

Hello all,

I am looking to put together the train my dad drove at the Rocket 150 event at Rainhill in 1980, and the Branch-line series has has already delivered me the brake vans and 8T cattle vans. I think I will get the mineral wagon from the same range too.  However, no-one actually makes the actual well wagons used at the event, so I am looking for nearest looking to modify. Bachmann seem to have about 10 variations with different colours and loads, but are the platform all from the same mould? So far all my scouring has just brought up one the same thing, but a few variations on the actual bogies.  So I may have to buy one, purely on the bogie design and them modify the platform itself.  I just don't want to be missing anything that may be available that is more accurate to the real ones.

$_57 (1).JPG

$_57 (11).JPG

I would say in the first picture the well wagon is of GWR design going by the sloped connection between the platform and the 

well, and the plate bogies.

The well wagon in the second picture the well wagon could be of LMS origin similar to a wagon produced by Triang.

Gordon A

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

The second is BR WELTROL MC https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brweltrolmc I believe it is the one used by the NRM. 

The first is a more modern WELTROL WP - it has roller bearing plate back bogies. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspecialsother/eea724477 At least one is conserved by the MRT at Butterley.

Paul

Yes, it was all NRM stock, the whole train.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

That second wagon looks more like the Tri-ang Weltrol wagon.  The second image shows "Weltrol" on the side sill.

I looked at them, but being metal, they would be had to modify.  I do like the look of this one, but I'll hang on for a cheaper one, since I am going to brutalise it ;-)
image.png.b712ad3b150ea887613324455d0f0965.png

16 hours ago, Gordon A said:

I would say in the first picture the well wagon is of GWR design going by the sloped connection between the platform and the 

well, and the plate bogies.

The well wagon in the second picture the well wagon could be of LMS origin similar to a wagon produced by Triang.

Gordon A

My issue is that Bachmann do a GWR and an LMS and several others, but they all look the same, and the one pictured above have very sharp angles to the well, while Bachmann's have soft curves. Also the Bachmann has handles rather than 5 spoke valve wheels, to lock whatever they lock on a well wagon ;-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I looked at them, but being metal, they would be had to modify.  I do like the look of this one, but I'll hang on for a cheaper one, since I am going to brutalise it ;-)
image.png.b712ad3b150ea887613324455d0f0965.png

I am sure the later releases had plastic bodies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Esmedune said:

My issue is that Bachmann do a GWR and an LMS and several others, but they all look the same, and the one pictured above have very sharp angles to the well, while Bachmann's have soft curves. Also the Bachmann has handles rather than 5 spoke valve wheels, to lock whatever they lock on a well wagon ;-)

The Bachmann model is a GW Crocodile H / BR Weltrol WH which dates back to 1980 as it was originally made by Kader for Palitoys Mainline range.  LMS etc versions are not accurate models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I picked one up, and I also got the blueprint of the same, and the Tri-and is much shorter than it should be!  I am just on the look-out for the best Bachmann edition now.

I am still looking for 4 and 6 spoke valve wheels for these, but I will take that question elsewhere. Thanks all!

2021-04-29 16.54.46.jpg