Which Bogies for a D98 Brake Third? Also, frame drawings for a 1366 Pannier tank?

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi folks!

A couple of questions if I may?

I am going to start building an Ian Kirk "kit" for a d98 soon. I want to do my best at it, so would like to use Slater's fully compensated bogies - it saves me having to sort this, the fiddliest bit! I think this coach has 8'6" wheelbase bogies?  So would Slaters' 

"GWR 8'6" Dean Bogie Kit complete with wheels and full independent sprung suspension" be the right set?

Also, does anyone know where I could find a GA drawing or, better yet, a frame drawing of a 1366 dock tank? I'm going to probably cut my own frames for my kit, and just use the kit bits as a guide for axle holes. 

All the best!

Amanda

• RMweb Premium

Have fun with the Slaters bogies. I got on all right until it came to the brakes. There just wasn't room to fit them. And the brackets supporting the lower footboards are very fragile. I ended up replacing a  lot of them with cut down staples even though I had strengthened the joints with solder. Of course if you are modelling s more modern vehicle (mine was for 1912) you can just remove them.

Jonathan

The NRM has GWR Drawing 98681, which is the GA for the 1366. Its scanned already, albeit in the rather messy ex microfilm black/white format a lot of them are in. Looking at it I don't reckon its as thoroughly dimensioned as would be ideal for your purposes. I don't know what else they have.

The catalogue is here.

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/sites/default/files/2018-03/Swindon Locomotive Drawings List.pdf?works=swindon

The D98 was built in two lots in 1927/8 (Lots 1377 &1389) and were fitted with the 7' single bolster bogies typical of the time.

Dave R.

Edit - Ms P beat me to it!

Edited by Devo63

Guest WM183

Dave you commented while I was replying to Ms. P, thank you also!

Anyone know of a decent kit for those type bogies in 7mm scale?

Amanda

Looking at the NRM list they also have 99885, which is catalogued as erecting plan frame only, and might be  bit better for you. Be careful if you order it though, because there's another one catalogued as 99885 which appears to be an attachment to the original just showing a step!

Hi Amanda,

When I built my Kirk Siphon G I made the mistake of dismissing the 7' bogies supplied as too crude and bought an overpriced pair of JLRT American bogies (dia.O22 Siphons had both types).  After a frustrating build due to ill fitting parts I decided that the 7' bogies actually suited it better and the ones supplied in the Kirk 'kit' were worth detailing.  The biggest improvement I made was to the secondary suspension.  I threw away the plastic 'donuts' that represented the coil springs and made new ones from sections of ball point pen springs, dog-bone shaped brass spring holders and brass wire. I used a close up photo of the real thing in Russell.  Although there are no brakes the bogies are quite acceptable from normal viewing distance IMO.   As you are building a D98 is the attached drawing any help?

Cheers,

Ray

GWR D98 Bk 3rd Drawing.jpg

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 12:06, WM183 said:

Also, does anyone know where I could find a GA drawing or, better yet, a frame drawing of a 1366 dock tank? I'm going to probably cut my own frames for my kit, and just use the kit bits as a guide for axle holes. 

All the best!

Amanda

There was an outline drawing of a 1366 on here back in 2014

Guest WM183

Thank you all so much! I dont suppose anyone knows where I could find a drawing of the underframe? I need to build the trusses and position things like the battery boxes, magneto, and brake cylinders. None of my books are much help =(

Thanks much!

Amanda

Guest WM183
On 30/04/2021 at 20:22, Marshall5 said:

Hi Amanda,

When I built my Kirk Siphon G I made the mistake of dismissing the 7' bogies supplied as too crude and bought an overpriced pair of JLRT American bogies (dia.O22 Siphons had both types).  After a frustrating build due to ill fitting parts I decided that the 7' bogies actually suited it better and the ones supplied in the Kirk 'kit' were worth detailing.  The biggest improvement I made was to the secondary suspension.  I threw away the plastic 'donuts' that represented the coil springs and made new ones from sections of ball point pen springs, dog-bone shaped brass spring holders and brass wire. I used a close up photo of the real thing in Russell.  Although there are no brakes the bogies are quite acceptable from normal viewing distance IMO.   As you are building a D98 is the attached drawing any help?

Cheers,

Ray

GWR D98 Bk 3rd Drawing.jpg

Hi Ray,

I'm gonna use the kit bogies, but I will add brake shoes and linkage, and better looking springs and stuff. The sideframes are actually pretty good looking and will be quite workable! Do you happen to know if there's a good GA diagram of the bogies anywhere? I want to add brake shoes, brake linkages, and so on.

Thanks much for the drawing above! It helps!

Amanda

Guest WM183

Hi Dave,

PM Received and replied to, thank you! Also TY for the diagram Ms P.

The seats were built today and the roof fitted, so we're off to the races!

Amanda

On 01/05/2021 at 21:52, Miss Prism said:

This is a Lionheart D109. which is similar to a D98

lionheart-d109.jpg.6a8b6b5f44947546d1069d386c44562a.jpg

Do you also have the E141 drawing please?  I’m still building a D110, E142, C61 set which has got me stumped for the battery boxes, magneto, and brake cylinders.  I know there are some GAs in York but I haven’t managed to get there.

PS D110 = D109 minus a compartment, E141 are E142 are very similar with the compartments in a different order.

27 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Do you also have the E141 drawing please?

No. I'm not sure that the E141 drawing was ever given in the Lionheart blurb, which I discovered rather late in the Lionheart process (in 2015). Since then, Chris Klein has unfortunately passed away, so is no longer available to consult. Possibly the documentation was passed on to Dapol, who acquired the 7mm E140, D109 and E141 Lionheart product.