Book on West Midland railway/canal interchange wharves

corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago I bought a very interesting book at a canal-side bookshop on the railway connected canal wharves in the West Midlands. Unfortunately, I lent it to a friend and never saw it again. Now I cannot remember, the author, the title or the publisher. An internet search has not turned up anything. Can anyone identify the book please?

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A good try, but longer ago than that, I think. I am trying to remember how old our son would have been, but he would have left home by 1998 and I am pretty sure he was with us. Probably the best part of a decade earlier - unless that is a reprint/revision of an earlier book. It does sound like the right topic.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth asking here: http://canalbookshop.uk/

However, the only reference I could find was in their list of secondhand books which had the book Gordon Connell mentioned indicating it was published in 1997.  So perhaps that was the first year of publication with a reprint in 1998?

• Thanks 1

I think that Gordon is correct,  and the book is very probably "The Industrial Canal: Volume 2 - The Railway Interchange Trade" by Tom Foxon. It was published in 1997 by Heartland Press, ISBN 0 9517755 6.1. Volume 1 covers "The Coal Trade" and was written by Ray Shill, published in 1996. Both are softbacks. Well worth contacting the Canal Bookshop at Audlem Mill, as Teaky suggests.