Halifax (Town) Station operations pre-1969

csiedmo

Hello all!

Can anyone shed any light on any of the following operational questions about Halifax (Town) station in BR era before the 1969 redevelopment?

1. Was there any particular logic to determine which Up trains used platform 1 and which used platform 2?
2. In the 1961/2/4 WTTs there are instances of Up passenger trains from Leeds and Bradford combining at Halifax before continuing to their destination. There is no resulting LE movement given on the WTT. What would have been the shunting moves that would have formed such a train and was the resulting train indeed double headed?
3. Does anyone have information about platform use of parcels trains that terminated/originated at Halifax?
4. In photographs there is often a NPCCS vehicle in the short dock between platforms 3 and 4 at the west end. From/To what train was this attached/detached?
5. There was a short siding that branched at the west end of platform 3. Did this have a particular use? I have seen one photograph of it occupied with a coach, but was unable to ID it.
6. There was loop next to platform 1 that extended into a siding at the east end. I've never seen the siding occupied and there is no obvious purpose for the loop. Any know what that was for?
7. Pre-1954 how did locos run around their trains on the GNR platforms? 
8. Any info about the Sunday fish train that terminated at Halifax in the early 50s?
9. In 1953 the 4.12pm Su Halifax-Braford via Low Moor uses E.R. stock. Where did that come from? I would imagine it to be a left over from a terminating SO service from the GNR lines, but there seems to be no obvious candidate in the WTT.  
10. Any other interesting operational insights, including freight movements? 

Many thanks!

Ed

20 hours ago, csiedmo said:

. In the 1961/2/4 WTTs there are instances of Up passenger trains from Leeds and Bradford combining at Halifax before continuing to their destination. There is no resulting LE movement given on the WTT. What would have been the shunting moves that would have formed such a train and was the resulting train indeed double headed?

Your answer for this may be in the WTT are there any departing trains starting at the station subsequent to the combined trains?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Aire Head.

Looking at the 1962 WTT, there is a Down train to Kings Cross departing one minute after the Up train to Blackpool (It's the Blackpool train that combines).

However, I have assumed that the Kings Cross train would be headed by the loco that brought it's ECS, otherwise I have to question what happens to that loco. 

There are no other passenger departures starting a Halifax for several hours after that.

The passenger WTT seems quite thorough at accounting for LE movements (unlike the freight WTT which seems to mostly ignore them!)

Best wishes,

Ed