Not Jeremy

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Last call for the cats, MRJ 283 is in the World and copies will be with outlets and subscribers from early next week.

Currently awaiting delivery here in Bath..

About time the wait is enough to turn somebody to drink..

0D2B1655-2969-4B5E-A27D-0E6B7EF93044.jpeg.621d7584529c667ddd7f2a59fcf3dd94.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/05/2021 at 11:43, Not Jeremy said:

Last call for the cats, MRJ 283 is in the World and copies will be with outlets and subscribers from early next week.

Currently awaiting delivery here in Bath..

1-DSCN9677.JPG

Excellent news. Cat photo shows how necessary DCC Sound is on the modern railway...

On 27/05/2021 at 18:54, Not Jeremy said:

Now on my website but without description for the moment.

My description:

Edited by the legend that is Iain Rice, the very appealing cover picture features "Kenton", built by the recently departed John Watson who is fondly remembered inside the magazine by Barry Norman. Two Cameo Competition entry layouts are featured, Nick Salzmann's unusual period "Lananta Quay" in 3mm Society finescale standards, and the irrepressible Mick Simpson's small but exquisitely formed "Callaton" in 2mm scale, a tiny layout which is full of interest - caravanners take note, as Mick says! Simon De Souza makes a really beautiful and very well observed model of Dromod station building, using a range of techniques in Plastikard that would suit any number of brick structures. Iain reveals a near Pre War HO survivor, a beautiful model of "Claude Hamilton", and in "Classical Jazz" with friends John Chambers and Dave Doe the modelling options for creating Stratford's N7 class are explored and expounded. Trevor Pott illustrates how passenger goods traffic is handled at Churston, Roger Bird shares with us his Thomas Green built examples of the Irish narrow gauge while finally Iain extolls the virtues or otherwise of bad track. Plus small suppliers forum and an obituary to John Watson.

MRJ 283.jpg

Thanks for the magazine cover shot.  The issue number is too small to spot in the retail environment, but knowing what the cover photo looks like is helpful when scanning the shelves for the latest issue.

On 19/05/2021 at 15:29, queensquare said:

Well if you cant beat them.... workshop companions.

showed this posting to my wife as the two labs look like our two. Then I showed her Jerry’s article in May BRM. joanna’s comment, “there are no pictures of the dogs!”

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, philip-griffiths said:

showed this posting to my wife as the two labs look like our two. Then I showed her Jerry’s article in May BRM. joanna’s comment, “there are no pictures of the dogs!”

Here you go Philip, this is for your wife. Jelly and daughter Jazz in the workshop keeping an eye on the cut and shut job on the Highbury/Foxcote  backscene.

IMG_1461.JPG.0cc2784937d91d625cbf1204b6f01045.JPG

To get back on topic, today I had a haircut and picked up the latest MRJ. Its also Friday so I shall be cracking open a bottle later. New comic, new haircut and the sun is out - life is good!

Jerry

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, queensquare said:

To get back on topic, today I had a haircut and picked up the latest MRJ. Its also Friday so I shall be cracking open a bottle later. New comic, new haircut and the sun is out - life is good!

Jerry

I initially read that as "new comic haircut"....:lol:. Time to get away from the computer and track down the new MRJ I think.

Andy

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

I initially read that as "new comic haircut"....:lol:. Time to get away from the computer and track down the new MRJ I think.

Andy

Kim says I look very smart - mind you, the old haircut, or lack of, was indeed comic. That Simpson chap said I should be writing poetry!

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Subs copy received. A classic MRJ. Adverts for two finescale exhibitions in late May - fortunately as they were virtual, most of the content is still accessible. Ian Rice lambasts poor running then teaches us to build bad trackwork...

Filling in my subscription renewal form now!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

My subs copy came today too.  The advance publicity for an event that has already taken place evoked nostalgia which is not altogether ruined by the event being a virtual one.  MRJ would not be the same without such things!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

At least much of Expo EM is still available on-line, as is much of the virtual Scaleforum - though a couple of old films have disappeared.

Is this aspect of MRJ what one calls "an endearing habit"?

Jonathan

PS I didn't know I needed training on laying track badly.

• Like 1

In future I will not wince whenever a train lurches as it negotiates the crossover on my layout.

A Welsh light railway with chaired, bullheaded track on the running line and flimsy, spiked, flat-bottomed track in the sidings and loops.  Why did it never occur to me before that a train ought to lurch as it crosses from one to the other?

• Like 4

It was the inference that to be prototypical derailments are necessary (and therefore perhaps to be encouraged) that made me smile. To continue this line of thinking does this mean that 3rd rail or OHE layouts should have a certain number power failures or MAS signalled layouts a particular number of signal failures per exhibition?

D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, drduncan said:

To continue this line of thinking does this mean that 3rd rail or OHE layouts should have a certain number power failures or MAS signalled layouts a particular number of signal failures per exhibition?

For autumn exhibitions, scale leaves will be mandatory.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

PS I didn't know I needed training on laying track badly.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Laying it prototypically badly...

If you lay your track prototypically badly, and your locomotives and rolling stock are correctly sprung, then there is a possibility that things will stay on the rails, current will continue to be collected and the train will continue rocking and rolling,  serenely to its destination.

On the other hand an RTR loco on track that has been laid in a hamfisted manner will go cartwheeling across the countryside!   Wheee!!!!

Picked up my copy of 283 from the local pusher newsagent.  I shall keep it for a lazy Sunday afternoon.!  Just checked the weather for the day after tomorrow. Warm and sunny. Result!!!

Edited by Hroth
weather check...
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Having just moved to Todmorden, does anyone know of a local outlet for MRJ?

From where you are in Todmorden, your best bet heading further into West Yorkshire would be WH Smith in Halifax or Huddersfield.  I know from first hand experience that it’s available in Huddersfield.