Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

RTR locos and stock have made huge advances in terms of accuracy and detail ( though obviously not infallible } over the last ten or even five years. 

Rob - you already know that I am in complete agreement with your sentiments.

But to make matters worse, we now have at least one RTR manufacturer who, despite making beautifully accurate and detailed models, has opted to produce them in such a way as to render it almost unworthwhile for those of us who simply wish to take the body off and put a new chassis underneath, perhaps for EM or P4, or perhaps in utter exasperation that this beautiful-looking loco just doesn't run properly.

I won't name them yet again, but 'we know who they are!'

That's one thing that the cruel, unforgiving close-up lens of the digital camera cannot reveal (unless in video mode) - the actual movement of the model in question.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Never had any problems with my old Triang(-Hornby) models, running wise, with either the X04 or the superb "diesel bogie". In both cases, a single-start worm would have improved the controllability, as well as halving the top speed, but I didn't know about such things then! The running of my Ivatt class 2 mogul was so good, it showed the inability of my Hornby R900 controller to go all the way to zero volts!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Single start worms were available as a Triang spare part, back in the '60's and from memory about one shilling each. I still meddle with X04 motors and Triang gears, 1/4 Whitworth studding when machined makes a perfect single start worm.

Yeah: they used them on the turntable drives, I believe.

If course, I didn’t know any of that - or how to change it (nor have the required tools) - at the time, as I was only just out of short trousers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2021 at 18:18, mike morley said:

There was a mention of scribing a wall that was all headers, with each brick being 1mm by 1.5mm.

That's 4mm scale.

There is also a mention that he realises that his modelled buildings aren't in fact tall enough because he fell into the old trap of assuming that each row of bricks plus mortar rises 3 inches. Ignoring modern metric bricks, there is a useful, but not invariable, guide that whilst mortared bricks in the south-east of England do tend to rise in 3 inch courses, the further north-west one goes in the British Isles, the fatter the bricks become, so that four brick courses may rise 13½ inches or even more. If you are measuring up a brick-built building, always, always measure the height of, say, twenty brick courses. If you have failed to do this, comparing the brick coursing with doors and windows can help as joinery work tended to be produced in 3" multiples.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• 2 weeks later...

One of my best runners is an old Tri-Ang L1! 

OK its been tarted up a bit, fitted with Romfords (remember them) and tender pick up to boot, and to bring it into the 23rd century I splashed out on a polymolendenum (or some such rare earth type) magnet on flea bay.

For a couple of quid its given the old dog a new lease of life, perhaps I should try one myself.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2021 at 18:54, Not Jeremy said:

Now on my website but without description for the moment.

My description:

Edited by the legend that is Iain Rice, the very appealing cover picture features "Kenton", built by the recently departed John Watson who is fondly remembered inside the magazine by Barry Norman. Two Cameo Competition entry layouts are featured, Nick Salzmann's unusual period "Lananta Quay" in 3mm Society finescale standards, and the irrepressible Mick Simpson's small but exquisitely formed "Callaton" in 2mm scale, a tiny layout which is full of interest - caravanners take note, as Mick says! Simon De Souza makes a really beautiful and very well observed model of Dromod station building, using a range of techniques in Plastikard that would suit any number of brick structures. Iain reveals a near Pre War HO survivor, a beautiful model of "Claude Hamilton", and in "Classical Jazz" with friends John Chambers and Dave Doe the modelling options for creating Stratford's N7 class are explored and expounded. Trevor Pott illustrates how passenger goods traffic is handled at Churston, Roger Bird shares with us his Thomas Green built examples of the Irish narrow gauge while finally Iain extolls the virtues or otherwise of bad track. Plus small suppliers forum and an obituary to John Watson.

MRJ 283.jpg

Further edit required for spelling, it is Claud (without the 'e' at the end) Hamilton; hope you spelled it correctly in the magazine...

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Further edit required for spelling, it is Claud (without the 'e' at the end) Hamilton; hope you spelled it correctly in the magazine...

Spelt, surely ? 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Spelt, surely ? 

Rob. 

10 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Isn't that a kind of grain?

Jonathan

Yes. Spelt is a wheat species.  Beloved of organic types as it is full of extra dietary fibre!

8 hours ago, meil said:

Spelt is British and Spelled is American

spelt  /spɛlt/

verb  British

past and past participle of spell.

Its like Show/Shew and Showed/Shewed.  Its right, but you sometimes feel uncomfortable using it!

Then again, Spelled makes me feel that I'm describing something from the Harry Potter universe...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 06/09/2021 at 08:23, Hroth said:

Yes. Spelt is a wheat species.  Beloved of organic types as it is full of extra dietary fibre!

spelt  /spɛlt/

verb  British

past and past participle of spell.

Its like Show/Shew and Showed/Shewed.  Its right, but you sometimes feel uncomfortable using it!

Then again, Spelled makes me feel that I'm describing something from the Harry Potter universe...

The regular formation of the past participle is to add ed to the infinitive eg to call/ was called, but there are many irregular past participles, such as spelt, which don't follow that form. Of course the interesting one is to hang where was hung goes to hanging meat and was hanged goes to hanging people.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

In the theme of recent posts, perhaps this should have been written as:

Simon sells/sold the magazine/magazines, he does/did not write or edit it/them. :lol:

Indeed. He may or may not wish to confirm or deny that he is or is not involved or not involved in such or any other related or unrelated activities of this or any other nature.

• Funny 2

15 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Indeed. He may or may not wish to confirm or deny that he is or is not involved or not involved in such or any other related or unrelated activities of this or any other nature.

This would be completely sensible, but we're on RMweb...  :rolleyes:

• Funny 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Under oath, perhaps?

;-)