The 2nd Official APT-E Thread

rapidoandy

1408843862_APT-EPosterV4.jpg.7f1a42f9cdbbfd90d071ac866b423cb7.jpg

APT-E – back for another run!

·        TWO new 1:76 scale trainpacks

·        Extra Trailer Cars available too

·        Available from Rapido Trains UK stockists

·        Highly collectable!

We’re absolutely delighted to announce that the ‘OO’ gauge APT-E is back! Originally produced as part of the National Collection In Miniature range, the National Railway Museum has given us permission to produce another batch as a standalone Rapido Trains UK product.

The APT-E is an iconic four-car gas-turbine tilting train which set a British railway speed record of 152mph on August 10 1975. It marked the beginning of British Rail’s quest for faster trains, which ultimately led to the likes of the HST, Pendolino and Hitachi’s IEP. This importance of this revolutionary design was finally recognised in May 2013 when the APT-E won the prestigious Engineering Heritage Award.

Designed using laser 3D scanning with input from members of the original APT-E development team, this ‘OO’ gauge model is every bit as revolutionary as the real thing. It boasts an impressive specification:

• Two Power Cars, each with a five-pole, skew-wound motor and flywheel

• Two Trailer Cars with articulated Swinging Arm Trailer Bogies

• 3D scanned exterior for accurate body contours

• Working tilt mechanism 

• Close coupling system

• Full interior detail including illuminated test instrumentation

• Working headlamps, tail lamps and interior lighting

• Accurate sounds produced from archival footage

• Designed for drop-in wheelset conversion to ‘P4’ and ‘EM’ scale

Two four-car trainpacks are being produced - one with sound and one without. RRP is £379.95 (non-sound) and £479.95 (with sound).

We know that some modellers weren’t content to run their APT-Es with just four cars (even though that how the real thing ran). So we’re producing additional Trailer Cars with seats and one intermediate bogie - perfect for those that want to imagine what the APT-E might have looked like if it had entered service. RRP for an additional Trailer Car is £119.95

Please be aware that this new batch of APT-Es will not come with all the extras – commemorative booklet, limited edition packaging – that the first release had. But the model itself is just the same marvel of miniature engineering that we produced back in 2016.

APT-E is available through all Rapido Trains UK stockists, including Locomotion Models and the National Railway Museum as well as being available to order direct from www.rapidotrains.co.uk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

£130 price increase when the tooling costs were covered by the first batch? Ouch (no need for anyone to lecture me on why - I understand how economics, production fees, wages, transport fees, import fees etc have changed).

Glad I got mine in the first run. Still, even at this price it massively undercuts what people have been willing to pay second hand. What was the record for a sound fitted one on ebay? £1900-ish?

It's nice to see it reappear regardless. 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

• RMweb Premium

When is the estimated shipping date for this? 

In terms of price, it's about where I'd expect it to be given recent events. Hornby want £314.99 for their Midland Pullman HST which wasn't originally going to be a mild retool of their 2007 model when announced.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

1. Great!!!!! but how about shrinking it for us N Gaugers?? @rapidoandy

2. A lot of us N Gaugers would buy one in a heartbeat.

1. Keep up at the back - http://www.revolutiontrains.com/projects/expressions-of-interest/apt-e/

2. Maybe not as many as necessary*

*The latest updates were a while ago - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126155-revolution-opens-expressions-of-interest-for-an-apt-e/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-3804172

24 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

We can do it in-house :-)

Are you offering Mr Tilt an all expenses trip to Canada there :lol:.

If you need a model driver or someone making the tea at the brew station, I'm willing to accept the hardship of a flight to Canada, then a train over the Rockies and even a bus ride with Jason.

3 hours ago, 69843 said:

Can somebody please scan and 3D print @Mr_Tilt so we can add him inside the car?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Not the first time that's been suggested, and I chatted with the ModelU guys at Peterborough in 2019.

The problem is that the 2021 Mr. Tilt doesn't look all that much like the 1970s Mr. Tilt, apart from my face of course.

The 'model' would need to be slimmed down a bit and grow a LOT more hair to be 1970s authentic. Plus it would need to be wearing flares and a cravat or a kipper tie as well, and maybe an Inspector's Coat sometimes, depending if it was raining or not.

Oh, they're NOT including the 'Weather Option' in the DCC fitted versions? Such a pity. :(

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 60800 said:

£130 price increase when the tooling costs were covered by the first batch?

A bit more than that - wasn’t it £225 & £325 before, with the coach £49? It seems good value now, looking back from 2021, though I didn’t particularly think so at the time! I can’t buy both APTs in a year, can I? At least we know Rapido will deliver if we pre-order....

12 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Please be aware that this new batch of APT-Es will not come with all the extras – commemorative booklet, limited edition packaging – that the first release had. But the model itself is just the same marvel of miniature engineering that we produced back in 2016.

I infer the first one was "limited edition". 

Another run of the same thing surely invalidates that ?

Not that I have ever attached any value to one of those numbered certificates that accompany limited edition models.

11 hours ago, 60800 said:

£130 price increase when the tooling costs were covered by the first batch? Ouch (no need for anyone to lecture me on why - I understand how economics, production fees, wages, transport fees, import fees etc have changed).

It's not just the 7 years of changes that you note, but also that it is no longer an exclusive item but available through a retail network - thus the additional overhead of allowing for that.

And the prices at one online retailer show an increase of less than £100 on either the DC or DCC/Sound packs.

• RMweb Premium

Will this be available through Rapido's Canadian head office?  Tuck a few boxes in a container load of Royal Hudsons?

Very tempting, especially the sound fitted one. I’ve got a real soft spot for gas turbine-powered vehicles that aren’t aircraft (Rover-BRM, Lotus 56, etc). I could have it delivered to work, then sneak it into the house under my coat. Would have to be a big coat though...

On 30/04/2021 at 12:27, Mr_Tilt said:

The problem is that the 2021 Mr. Tilt doesn't look all that much like the 1970s Mr. Tilt, apart from my face of course.

The 'model' would need to be slimmed down a bit and grow a LOT more hair to be 1970s authentic. Plus it would need to be wearing flares and a cravat or a kipper tie as well, and maybe an Inspector's Coat sometimes, depending if it was raining or not.

Well, as Jason keeps saying during Rapido Q&A's he has a UK source for 70s clothing, and a reasonably talented computer artist could make the scan look like your dashing youthful self...

But can they re-grow my hair to the Marsha Hunt length it was back then? (Me on the left in the pic)

Actually I still have the Inspector's Coat, and a couple of the kipper ties, but not the flares. 

k10.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 01/05/2021 at 01:07, Michael Hodgson said:

I infer the first one was "limited edition". 

Another run of the same thing surely invalidates that ?

Not that I have ever attached any value to one of those numbered certificates that accompany limited edition models.

In today's world of batch production - all our models are "limited editions" to some extent.

• Agree 3

On 01/05/2021 at 22:02, Mr_Tilt said:

But can they re-grow my hair to the Marsha Hunt length it was back then? (Me on the left in the pic)

Actually I still have the Inspector's Coat, and a couple of the kipper ties, but not the flares. 

k10.jpg

I am quite sure Alan Buttler at Modelu could weave his magic Kit. He is really adept with his Ipad.  I was a "model" in a locomans jacket when he first started out scanning.  Not sure if it was Telford or Stafford. 

Perhaps he could use a slimmer "generic" stock body and style your face and hair from this photo.  Might costs as a deluxe item but worth an ask. 

• Like 2

On 30/04/2021 at 17:27, Mr_Tilt said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Not the first time that's been suggested, and I chatted with the ModelU guys at Peterborough in 2019.

Oh, they're NOT including the 'Weather Option' in the DCC fitted versions? Such a pity. :(

Rapido will know exactly where you can borrow a pair of flares!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...