The 2nd Official APT-E Thread

rapidoandy

On 01/05/2021 at 02:07, Michael Hodgson said:

I infer the first one was "limited edition". 

Another run of the same thing surely invalidates that ?

The original was a NRM exclusive with booklet and gubbins. This one isn’t. So, no, it doesn’t invalidate the exclusivity of the original. If you’re into that (like you, I’m not, but I’m not into this either). 

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

That's me out of the running then :(

Not necessarily.

Anyone who orders by July 1st is guaranteed what they order.

But, some retailers may order extras to have to sell, and Rapido will likely include some extras in their order (using the pre-orders as a guide).

So even if you can't make the July 1st deadline you may still be able to get one - but try not to leave it too long because at some point they will sell out, and it may happen before arrival or it may happen a month after arrival.

The newsletter mentions they are expected 1Q2022, though may arrive late 2021.  So you still have several months to try and save up the money.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Not necessarily.

Anyone who orders by July 1st is guaranteed what they order.

But, some retailers may order extras to have to sell, and Rapido will likely include some extras in their order (using the pre-orders as a guide).

So even if you can't make the July 1st deadline you may still be able to get one - but try not to leave it too long because at some point they will sell out, and it may happen before arrival or it may happen a month after arrival.

The newsletter mentions they are expected 1Q2022, though may arrive late 2021.  So you still have several months to try and save up the money.

I don't do deposits, I have to pay it in one otherwise I get all panicky over owing money on things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I don't do deposits, I have to pay it in one otherwise I get all panicky over owing money on things.

Check with the various official Rapido retailers - they may not require a deposit.

Or alternatively they may be happy to take payment in full now (if you can afford it now, and are willing to pay now when arrival may not be until 1Q2022).

And if neither of those work, I see at least one retailer has an option on their website that they will email you when their stock arrives so you can try and buy it when it gets into stock, others might be willing to do the same.

Edited by mdvle

Afternoon,

I have responded to your email :-).

Simply we sell our products at the RRP we set. It is up to other retailers to decide what they want to do. We cannot tell them what price to sell it at. Likewise if we sold it at the lowest price we wouldn't have any retailers.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I got mine first batch, the sound is incredible, I was fortunate enough to see the real thing on occasion going through Didcot, and on its spectacular 150+ mph high speed run.

It is really a niche model but I love to collect (and run) the weird and wonderful that have graced our railways over the years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm SO glad you liked the sound track. :D

Legoman Biffo and I spent ages swapping various sound files back and forth with Ian asking 'Which one sounds the more authentic?' and me racking my brains to remember. 

The actual turbine startup track was from an SNCF RTG set on it's last run, but the sound of their Turbomeca Turmos was JUST like E-Train's Leylands, very handy. The tilt pack sound came from the P-Train at Crewe as the Mk V tilt packs there used the same pump (A Lucas PM125 for the techies....) as E-Train's Mk 2s etc. etc.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I've decided to take the plunge (before the 1st July) with the Sound option. As I'm needing DCC anyway to step up to sound cost wise wasn't much... ...yes still trying to justify as needing to very much be a rule 1 train!

On 07/06/2021 at 15:21, Philip Jackson said:

I placed my order with Rapido on april 30th. Today I see its £72.00 cheaper on Rails. I'm not a happy bunny. 

Rails of Sheffield wont be holding spares, sorting out technical questions or repairing your model under warranty.  But Rapido will.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...

Mentioned on the Rapido North America Facebook livestream tonight.

The APT-E has been complete for 2 weeks except for the DCC chips, DCC chips are still another 2 weeks away (not the only Rapido project to have delays waiting for chips).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any news from Rapido on progress with these? How long do we expect packaging and shipping to take. I'm assuming currently sometime around March/April? It'd just be useful to plan financially.

I emailed them the other day, but as it turned out I hadn't been reading or receiving the Rapido UK newsletters - archives here https://rapidotrains.co.uk/rapido-news-uk/

As per the newsletters, they're shipping out from the factory soon. They'd been waiting on ESU decoders by the looks of it.

Here's a portion from the email I got back

"However, just so you know, the APTs should leave the factory in the next few days. They’ll probably land in the UK mid-February but it’s here that it gets tricky because we’re then completely in the hands of the shipping companies and we won’t know when they’ll arrive until about 24 hours before they do."

I'd certainly take everything regarding supply chain predictions and delivery with a tub of salt. I work for a manufacturing company, and can honestly say it's a nightmare out there. Unplanned decommits, random delays, random shutdowns, random deprioritizations, lost consignments, split (and part lost) consignments... the list goes on. 

Afternoon,

They are all packed and ready to ship. Our shipping Agent is on the case and we hope they will be on their way soon. Its probably then about 5/6 weeks transit time, plus some time when they arrive at Felixstowe and some time for us to sort/check and send them out. We are ready to receive them and once they are here we will work flat out to get them out to customers.

Its possible it could be a little quicker but we shall have to see.

They are tantalisingly close...

Many thanks,

Andy

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 15:21, Philip Jackson said:

I placed my order with Rapido on april 30th. Today I see its £72.00 cheaper on Rails. I'm not a happy bunny. 

Thats how the trade works - Andy from Rapido has explained the situation very well.

Charlie has made a couple of good points too.

On 22/01/2022 at 11:45, marcusd666 said:

Can't wait will have to convert my DC layout to DCC now just for the APT-E well worth it.

The E-Train runs pretty well under DC too, it just doesn't have as many lighting and sound options that are available when running under DCC.

Mine ran slightly faster under DC as well. ;)

On 26/01/2022 at 21:57, Mr_Tilt said:

The E-Train runs pretty well under DC too, it just doesn't have as many lighting and sound options that are available when running under DCC.

Mine ran slightly faster under DC as well. ;)

That's good news there is no need to rush out a buy a new dcc setup :D

• RMweb Premium

I'm very glad to hear these may not make it till early March. Ideally if Rails of Sheffield could ship and charge after the 15th March that would be great as my February finances are still recovering from the Hornby APT outlay :laugh:

• 1 month later...