The 2nd Official APT-E Thread

rapidoandy

Further to the above, the Pendon guys came up with an even better idea!

They suggest we run an E-Train model across their Vale of the White Horse layout on the nearest weekend to the 50th anniversary of E-Train's Speed Record run on August 10th 2025! That gives us almost 18 months to produce an EM gauge E-Train.

Of course it'll be at scale speed too. 🙂

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 17:28, Mr_Tilt said:

Now here's an opportunity to 'show the E-Train flag'.

The Pendon Museum want to run demos of more modern trains through their amazing Vale of the White Horse scene as the scenery has hardly changed in the last 100 years or so. One of the periods they want to show is from 1971-1985, and of course E-Train did the High Speed runs in August 1975. The only problem is their track is EM gauge, and although I know the E-Train model is designed to take up to P4 gauge wheelsets I don't know anyone who has done it.

They want to do these demos in June next year, so does anyone have their E-Train converted to EM?

If not I may try and swap the wheelsets of mine around, but I haven't the FAINTEST idea what's available on that front as the wheels are so small compared to many other vehicles. 

I remember Andy York mentioning EM when the E train was first released.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the bogies were designed to take even P4 wheelsets, but the problem is where does one get them? The E-Train has unusually small diameter wheels compared to conventional stock.

I have yet to investigate if it's actually possible to re-gauge the existing 00 gauge wheelsets by sliding them along the axles, but when I get home early next week I'll be doing just that.

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2023 at 12:02, Mr_Tilt said:

They suggest we run an E-Train model across their Vale of the White Horse layout on the nearest weekend to the 50th anniversary of E-Train's Speed Record run on August 10th 2025! That gives us almost 18 months to produce an EM gauge E-Train.

Please please please get a video of that! It'd be truly fantastic to see.

• Moderators
On 06/10/2023 at 12:02, Mr_Tilt said:

On 06/10/2023 at 15:55, Pete the Elaner said:

I remember Andy York mentioning EM when the E train was first released.

On 06/10/2023 at 16:56, Mr_Tilt said:

Yes, the bogies were designed to take even P4 wheelsets, but the problem is where does one get them? The E-Train has unusually small diameter wheels compared to conventional stock.

I have yet to investigate if it's actually possible to re-gauge the existing 00 gauge wheelsets by sliding them along the axles, but when I get home early next week I'll be doing just that.

Yes, got one here; EM'd and weathered. I did offer it's services when they first did diesels but they didn't bite. 

It's a doddle to ease the wheels out and set with a back to back gauge.

On 06/10/2023 at 16:56, Mr_Tilt said:

Drop me an email - we would love to be involved!

• Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Yes, got one here; EM'd and weathered. I did offer it's services when they first did diesels but they didn't bite. 

It's a doddle to ease the wheels out and set with a back to back gauge.

That's good to know, thanks Andy. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, I have a first run E train with sound. I have been noticing recently that PC-1 is getting noisy when running trailing. I have run it with the body off and the noise seems to be coming from where the universal joint runs over the top of the bogie pivot. I have oiled the area and it's still quite noisy. Any thoughts or tips on what to try?

TIA

Neil.