ESU Stay Alive

Poppa Bear18

Hi, I have a brand new ESU Loksound Decoder V5 p/n 58410 with NEM652 wiring. I want to connect a stay-alive circuitry to  it (Caps) but cant find any information on where to connect them. There are two loose leads  pink and green which exit the decoder. Are these for stay alive ? If not I'd like to know what they are for. Cant find ANY information anywhere, The ESU website doesnt tell me what I want. Can anybody help me ??

2 hours ago, Poppa Bear18 said:

Hi, I have a brand new ESU Loksound Decoder V5 p/n 58410 with NEM652 wiring. I want to connect a stay-alive circuitry to  it (Caps) but cant find any information on where to connect them. There are two loose leads  pink and green which exit the decoder. Are these for stay alive ? If not I'd like to know what they are for. Cant find ANY information anywhere, The ESU website doesnt tell me what I want. Can anybody help me ??

Did you look in the user manual? You can download it from the ESU website from the Downloads - Instruction Manuals - Digital Decoders section here. http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

See section 6.12 on pages 48-49 and the wiring diagrams - figures 40 & 41 on page 49 of the manual.

Thank you Guys. Yes I did look at the instruction manual, but the picture didnt look like my decoder. I see now that for some strange reason ESU have truncated the left hand side, making it look square rather than oblong. Anyway I now know what to do will give it a go tomorrow. Still dont know what the Pink and Green wires are for though ?? Many thanks anyway.  Clive

Having learnt the hard way recently, you will need to make an alteration to block AUX 7 and 9.

Here's the wording:

10.10. Configure the PowerPack
When you connect an external capacitor or PowerPack, you are
able to make the decoder switch off after a certain time. CV113 is
responsible for that, since you are able to determine at what time
the decoder is to switch off (as a multiple of 0.0328 seconds). You
should set a time between 0.3 and 1.0 seconds to prevent your
locos from driving too far during an emergency.
For the PowerPack to work, the function output responsible for
the charge (typically AUX9 for LokSound, AUX7 for LokSound
micro) must be configured to the „PowerPackControl” function.
Set CV 31 = 16, CV 32 = 0 first.
Then set CV339 = 31 for LokSound (AUX9)
Then set CV323 = 31 for LokSound micro (AUX7).

Best of luck.

Dave.

Hi with esu decoders I been told that you need the three wire type stayalive unit?

connections red white and black, you got positive negative and signal wire.

the signal wire is to turn the stayalive unit off when you programe the decoder or

it could damage the decoder

2 hours ago, gwrcollet said:

Hi with esu decoders I been told that you need the three wire type stayalive unit?

You were "told" wrongly.   The three-wire is an option, and has some advantages (don't need to disconnect when loading new sounds in a LokProgrammer) and disadvantages over a two-wire stay-alive.  Both are documented in ESU's decoder manuals ! 

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Gold

Maybe different with sound decoders or even V5's but the Lokpilot Micro v4 DCC I have in my J70 with a 2 wire LaisDCC stay alive programs fine on my Lokprogrammer although it does seem to take a full power cycle before it'll read it again.