Before the Class 37

Flying Pig

• RMweb Premium

Recently in the very long-rambling Imaginary Locomotives thread, I've mused about an early version of the Type 3 built by EE in the mid 1950s and getting 1500hp-ish from the EE 12SVT without charge cooling.  I'm assuming that in other respects it would be similar to the 37s as built once the more powerful engine was available and am prepared to hand-wave the electrical equipment a bit to get useful axle loadings on the CoCo chassis.  EE built a number of similar types for export around this period, though several had significantly lower power ratings, possibly due to operation in warm climates.

I'd imagine the body styling to be very similar to a 37, with doors and discs on the nose end as per the early 40s.  Can anybody tell me what grilles would be absent, assuming an interior layout like a 37 with just the charge cooler deleted?  A heating boiler would be fitted.

The idea is obviously a simple bash from a 37 bodyshell to produce a what-if model.

Interesting concept. I can only think that the area around the turbo chargers would be without the 3 bodyside grilles by the engine room door but otherwise the rest are required. The class 40s are an SVT engine and they don't have those grilles.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 37114 said:

Interesting concept. I can only think that the area around the turbo chargers would be without the 3 bodyside grilles by the engine room door but otherwise the rest are required. The class 40s are an SVT engine and they don't have those grilles.

Thanks.  I've finally found an internal diagram of a 37 on a Russian forum of all places (here) and can to some extent answer my own question.  The three grilles you mention actually appear to be next to the main generator, so presumably provide additional cooling air for that.  They are absent on the 40 as you say.  It isn't clear from the diagram where the intercooler is placed but I'm guessing it was part of the main coolant circuit.

The 37 also has grilles behind the cab doors at the no.2 end, which seem to be for cooling the main equipment frame and field resistors.  The 40 again does not have them, though another 16SVT design for hotter conditions, the Rhodesian Railways DE2 (layout diagram), apparently does.

So I think I'd follow the pattern of the 40 and have just the shoulder grilles, the large main radiator grille and the nose grilles for the traction motor blowers, at least as built.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 01/05/2021 at 13:44, Flying Pig said:

Thanks.  I've finally found an internal diagram of a 37 on a Russian forum of all places (here) and can to some extent answer my own question.  The three grilles you mention actually appear to be next to the main generator, so presumably provide additional cooling air for that.  They are absent on the 40 as you say.  It isn't clear from the diagram where the intercooler is placed but I'm guessing it was part of the main coolant circuit.

The 37 also has grilles behind the cab doors at the no.2 end, which seem to be for cooling the main equipment frame and field resistors.  The 40 again does not have them, though another 16SVT design for hotter conditions, the Rhodesian Railways DE2 (layout diagram), apparently does.

So I think I'd follow the pattern of the 40 and have just the shoulder grilles, the large main radiator grille and the nose grilles for the traction motor blowers, at least as built.

This is a really interesting concept. Did you get to make a start on it?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Nothing stopping anyone else doing it.  I imagine it as bashed from a 40 body, but with the amount of cutting and shutting and extra bits required it might be easier to go the @Clive Mortimore route and scratch build.  Quite possibly he already has :)

Wot like this A1A-A1A with a 12 cylinder 1500hp EE engine?

D6407.jpg.240809df6c4f5442661350f9ec898746.jpg

With its broken buffer.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wot like this A1A-A1A with a 12 cylinder 1500hp EE engine?

Thought you might have, Clive, and indeed I think I've seen that one before. I like the short nose which makes it look a bit different from a 37 and obviously echoes the Baby Deltic. I hadn't thought of it as an A-1-A, but that sounds nicely different too. Triang kitbash?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Thought you might have, Clive, and indeed I think I've seen that one before. I like the short nose which makes it look a bit different from a 37 and obviously echoes the Baby Deltic. I hadn't thought of it as an A-1-A, but that sounds nicely different too. Triang kitbash?

Yeah a Tri-ang body, Hornby class 47 bogies.

494381681_D8709andD9402.jpg.b964777451d5a8ea89c0b07a92d4c5d7.jpg

Of course had the Deltic engine proved itself then these two type 3 single engined Deltics were on the drawingboard.

D6207.jpg.b2fc6b2f9ff1be849af5339fb48fcc3f.jpg

Then there was the type 2 with an uprated 8 cylinder engine.

D5912.jpg.e423076625e45ac02aa6be48173443aa.jpg

The rebuilt Baby Deltic with a 18 cylinder Deltic engine.

D700.png.4925cec4cba327f103cf7cb0113b9710.png

A Type 4 Co-Co using the same engine as DP2.

D1309.jpg.2163a54486eb034b4a6cee145f6c8409.jpg

Another type 4 with two 9 cylinder Deltic engines

D6001.jpg.54a41d282ca4bc90a3b48b67f070ab54.jpg

There was even talk of a B-B twin 9 cylinder Deltic engined diesel hydraulic for the Great Western Region.

• Like 2