Disabled (tetraplegic) former modeller seeks advice

Some 5 years ago, I suffered a spinal cord injury which rendered me a tetraplegic. Consequently, my wife and I had to move house and my extensive 00 gauge steam railway layout had to be dismantled and packed away and stored for some 3 years in a container. We are now in a bungalow which has a very large spare room, 19' x 19' in which I am considering having a new layout built for me. Prior to my injury I had amassed a massive collection of locos, carriages and wagons. The layout was operated by DC. It had 5 mainlines and one branch line and occupied the entire loft, size 24' x 10'.

The question which I would appreciate your answers to is 'how viable would it be for me in my wheelchair to operate a similar layout in my new room of 19' x 19'? 'I should add that I would always have a carer with me but he/she would not be up to speed on such matters as speed control and point switching, the latter being particularly extensive due to the large number of tracks in a fiddle yard (or rather, loops). On the latter topic, I have heard of the Cbus system which can switch all of the points necessary to select an entire route; such a system is perhaps worthy of consideration? Should I seriously consider converting possibly 300 locos to DCC? Or would the new Hornby 12 V DC system (I can't remember it's designation) do the job of starting up, running and then slowing to a stop (since I would never have 2 locos in the same section) ?

Please advise as you think fit. If you think that it is far too ambitious for me to run 4 trains on the mainlines and 2 trains on 2 branch lines, even with the help of a carer, then please say so. Obviously, I am looking for advice from any other wheelchair bound modeller, but I would welcome advice from able-bodied modellers also. Is a layout of 19' x 19' just far too big for one person to control, enjoy? Is it far too big for me to maintain (albeit I could call in the man who I would use to build a layout in the 1st place - but not instantaneously of course)? The same question applies to fault finding and fault correcting of course.

May I thank you in advance for all the advice you can offer me.

Alan

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

I think that DCC would be easier for you to control, you would not have to convert all of your locos as I think only the newest ones are worth doing as they will have lower less power hungry motors. With DCC you maybe able to have a joystick control linked through a computer or eye control is now possible.

I think that in a 19ft square room depending on the door position you could have a double dumbbells formation that would let you be in the middle of the layout and make access for maintenance easier, I’m sure that there must be others that are in a similar position as you and can give their experience. I hope that I have given you some ideas to think about.

regards Mike 

• RMweb Gold

4 trains running on 4 main running lines and another 2 on branches should not be a problem as long as they are running continuously once set up and left alone.  The problem, even if you were fully functioning, would be controlling them to start/stop, shunt, or switch tracks, operating in other words.  For continuous running on the 4 main lines, a degree of automation can be employed to start the trains from the fiddle yard, run them through at an acceptable-to-you speed, and stop them again in a specified fiddle yard road, and this could be randomised.  You would need someone more versed in such operation by computer than me to advise you on this but DCC Concepts sell 'auto shuttle' systems that would enable this in DC.

I am able bodied, btw, it's just the brain I have trouble with... I have just bought a Hornby HM600 app based system and think it is the mutt's wotsits; it would certainly be cheaper than providing DCC chips for 300 locos, a rough ball park cost of £15.000 and would, I reckon, fulfill many of what I think are probably your needs.  You can move your wheelchair (or have it moved by your carer, not sure what your exact abilities are or what technology you have available) around the layout room and control the trains from the phone screen without being tethered by wire to the layout.  But you would need to be able to slide your finger across the screen and tap on things; I'm making assumptions here from the fact that you have managed to compose and send this post, meaning you can work a keyboard in some form; please, excuse me if I've got this wrong.

I think some thought has to be given to what you want the railway to actually do.  Is shunting and intricate operation of that sort important to you, or are you happy to sit back and watch trains passing by, perhaps slowing or stopping one occasionally.  If you want to shunt, then you need to fit a large amount of stock (if you've got 300 locos, I cannot imagine how much stock you have, probably more than most real railways) with reliable automatic couplings, which I would suggest means Kaydees.  Not all, only such as is needed for the branch line operation.

Tbh I think that, if you want this sort of operation, you would be best advised to simplify the layout, perhaps 2 main lines on which trains can run in an automated form while you concentrate on running a single branch.  Your space is enough to give a sense of real distance between the junction and the branch terminus, and you can operate that as a separate railway in it's own right while the main line does it's own thing as a backdrop,  This would of course mean a redesign from scratch, the cost and time to build a completely new layout, but altering your existing layout to fit the different space you now have will mean some redesigning and chopping about anyway. 

The branch now becomes the focus of operation, and if the passenger service is an auto or push pull, then it is very easy.  The Hornby HM6000 system enables you to operate points and signals from the app on your phone, and may even be able to cope with the Kaydee uncoupling magnests as well, but you will need a number of power supply units, which have to be Hornby's proprietary product at 20 beer vouchers a pop, and running around/basic pickup shunting should be within your capabilities without stretching things uncomfortable; again, forgive me if I have made an insensitive and erroneous assessment of what you can comfortably do.  A manual override to the automated main lines would allow you to stop main line trains at the junction to connect with the branch service, or run a through passenger train out on to the main line. and to run goods trains in to a small exchange yard to leave traffic for the branch pickup and collect it later in the day.

I am still experimenting with my HM6000, only wired it up yesterday evening, but it is already very easy and intuitive to use and gives very good control; I'm delighted with it and recommend it.  It may well be fully suited to your requirements.  I am expecting to be able to perform 'easing up' movements for uncoupling with my shunting pole in one hand and the phone in the other, and be able to do this at the far ends of the layout away from the controller position.  The HM6000 is an additional controller, and I will retain my ancient by bombproof and very good Gaugemaster power controller.  You would need at least 3 HM6000s, each controlling two circuits, for the layout i've described, and at least 6 for 4 track main line with 2 branches (which I think will be a bit of a handful to operate anyway).  6x HM6000 at discount mail order plus the psus comes to about £320, and the point operation needs one dedicated HM6010 per point (these can each operate 4 accessories but only one point motor) at £29 a pop, so it'll cost a bit, but less than a DCC conversion for which not all of your locos may be suitable anyway; if you've built this collection up over time then some of the older ones will have been designed before DCC was a consideration.

Only you can make the cost-effectiveness decisions of course, and it may be that a smaller layout needing less stock reduces the bill for full DCC to the point where it becomes viable, but I know little of DCC and cannot advise you about it.

To summarise, my advice, FWIW which is probably what you are paying for it(!), a redesigned layout with up and down main running lines for automated operation with manual override, branch for intricate operation with Kaydee couplers, controlled by HM6000/6010 app based smartphone control from your chair.  Your carer can retrieve any derailments and perhaps in time be instructed in basic operation, but I contend that ii is important for you to be able to access the layout and operate it yourself as much as possible.  Fixed train formations for the main line and within the passenger rakes for the branch; the only wagons you need to couple and uncouple can be a selection for the branch pickup service.  The intention is a railway you can enjoy, interact with, and take interest in, and my guess is that your abilities are restricted but can be coped with with a sensible application of the available technology.  Check out the DCC Concepts website; they're not just DCC.  I've had some lighting systems from them and find them to be very good quality, so recommend them as a satisfied customer. 

I hope my opinions and advice are of use to you, and that you will soon be enjoying a rebuilt layout.  All the best...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Round of applause 4

Tetraplegia sounds extremely limiting, so my immediate and no doubt rather ignorant reaction was that your ambitions sound   seriously over-optimistic.  However I really don't have a feel for how much you  are still able to do for yourself  - are you able to operate a conventional controller ?  multiple controllers and switches on a control panel?   even typing your post above?

I do hope my negative remarks are unjustified, but it sounds as though you may need to pay somebody to do some of what you envisage - such as baseboard construction and track laying, and we have no idea what sort of a budget you may have or what other help is available.  Building a layout seems too much to expect of a carer who isn't into model railways but if another modeller (perhaps a member of your local club?) is willing to help that could be mutually beneficial.  Sorry but I strongly suspect you should be looking at something less ambitious.  However I would say though 19' x 19' is a very big space and many modellers would be envious of having so much room - so perhaps you might consider exploring whether it might make sense to offer your spare room as a venue for a local club? 

Cbus is a range of electronic kits by MERG - so not only would you need somebody to build a layout for you, but somebody will also have to assemble these kits.  As a MERG member myself I have a high opinion of Cbus, but I don't see it as a particular help in overcoming your physical limitations, more as a means of simplifying the wiring.  Converting 300 locos to DCC is another major exercise in itself, not to mention the cost of the decoders.  A collection that size has obviously taken years to amass, so realistically I would expect some percentage of the older ones to be difficult/impossible/not worth the trouble of converting. 

I agree that DCC would be a better option for you than DC, but it is expensive to fit decoders to large fleet of locos.  But if you sell whatever can't easily be converted you can put the funds towards DCC equipment.  I would add that you might want to look at whether a a software package like iTrain or TrainController interfacing to a DCC command station would help you.  It can drive trains automatically, setting routes so they don't conflict etc.  If you want to drive the trains manually it can be designed to make route setting easier to operate than individual switches.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Building a layout seems too much to expect of a carer who isn't into model railways but if another modeller (perhaps a member of your local club?) is willing to help that could be mutually beneficial.  Sorry but I strongly suspect you should be looking at something less ambitious.  However I would say though 19' x 19' is a very big space and many modellers would be envious of having so much room - so perhaps you might consider exploring whether it might make sense to offer your spare room as a venue for a local club? 

This sounds like a good suggestion, if it's feasible, but we have no idea where the OP lives, or if the idea is acceptable.  Whether such a large layout can be maintained easily will depend on how complex the layout is - fairly simple circuits with one or two major stations would seem doable, but with so much space, there is the temptation to incorporate lots of track - multiple stations, goods yards, loco sheds etc., which will increase the maintenance required, and add to the potential for faults developing.

Given the number of locos, and the likelihood that conversion of all to DCC is unlikely, I'd be inclined to have two separate set ups, suitably interlaced but not electrically connected. You could start with a double track mainline in DC, with perhaps a simple through station for interest, which could be "easily" automated using various proprietary electrical controls.  This would get something up and running, and allow all 300 locos to stretch their legs, and provide a back-drop for the more varied activity on the next, DCC controlled section. I don't know how many sets of coaches and wagons that you have to go with the locos (I suspect not 300) but I would keep the fiddle yards quite simple, with separate fans for up and down lines, with perhaps a single reversible siding for multiple units and/or pull-push trains. It may be necessary to introduce a location where it would be easy for someone to change over locos from time to time, perhaps using a Peco loco lift.

It would be useful to know if Alan has any particular favourite operations, as that would colour any suggestions; long fast trains, short slow trains, goods or passenger, shunting or shuffling locos in a yard. Advice from any other tetraplegic modellers as to baseboard height and maximum width would be helpful; with so much space there might be a temptation to have wide baseboards, which turn out to be access nightmares.

• RMweb Gold

The questions you ask are, by their very nature, difficult for most modellers to answer, even though many will be keen to give you support and guidance. The best help I think I could give is to say something very similar to what would probably apply to a novice modeller - that is, eat this elephant in bite size chunks. Although you have experience of modelling, in effect, you will be starting again. Even if seeking/gaining practical and/or skilled help, it will be a new experience of working in that way. Not least in the process of specifying what you wish, and evaluating the helpers’ responses.

I therefore suggest that, maybe only for starters, you begin with a small self-contained module (that possibly part of could be designed to fit into your grander aspirations at a later date), maybe a branch station, loco depot, etc. Even a simple roundy roundy on a 6x4 in the middle of your space, will prove a valuable learning experience - and fun for that matter - for both you and your helpers. In the scheme of things, compared to the total possible cost, it would be a good investment. 
It would also provide an opportunity to try DCC for the first time. I wouldn’t be without it, but not everyone feels the same. Especially when they have a huge loco fleet to either convert...... or ignore if conversion is overly tricky or costly.

Good luck.

• RMweb Premium

I do know that some of the very clever people at MERG have been working on a control system based on voice control, for a modeller who is in a similar situation. I don't know how far they have got but they told me that they were trying to combine the sort of software that is in everyday use for things like voice activated devices, with model railway control software. I wonder if that sort of thing might be worth investigating.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think a lot depends on what you want the railway to do.

Do you want to sit back and watch trains circuit the layout, maybe 4 tracks each with their own FY loops. No DCC required, just a system to select each loop in turn ( or even randomly).

Or do you want to build a complete railway, with a perhaps single line that runs from A to E via B, C and D. This would involve more manual control and possibly DCC.

Without knowing your capabilities it is difficult to advise on what would be suitable, but ultimately it is what you want the layout to do for you that will decide what it needs to be.

• RMweb Premium

For pure ease of operation I would suggest DCC. For the number of locos that you are talking about, I would see this as the way forward despite the expense. 

In terms of operation, have you considered how you are going to keep the track clean? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kris said:

For pure ease of operation I would suggest DCC. For the number of locos that you are talking about, I would see this as the way forward despite the expense. 

In terms of operation, have you considered how you are going to keep the track clean? 

I would agree about the DCC. Despite the cost of decoders, its much easier to install decoders into batches of locos. Why, because the wiring on a complex DC system is a nightmare,  especially if you have to get someone to set it up AND maintain it all.

An unskilled helper, wouldn't be that helpful on the running sessions. 

• Agree 1

Again, it comes down a lot to what you are able to do.

If you are able to push a button in some way (e.g. by using a stylus in your mouth) then perhaps analogue might be easier.

One example would be a fan of fiddle sidings on one side of the room. If this was regarded as a non-scenic area, and sudden starts and stops tolerated on that side, then a train could be released by setting a clear route (and stopped by setting the exit route against it), and  gradual platform stops on the 'scenic' part of the layout handled by Heathcote station stop units or similar), then this may be easier to operate than having to choose locos from a list on a DCC handset.

In terms of maintenance, the biggest job is going to be track cleaning. The two non-manual methods are either to use some sort of electronic unit (like those once made by Relco - I believe Gaugemaster still make something similar) or a track cleaning wagon.

Of the two, I'd say the first is preferable as it keeps the tracks clean during normal operation without having to run the cleaning unit down every loop of track, but electronic track cleaning is not compatible with DCC.

Hi Alan,  others have already covered many aspects. 

My preference is also DCC, it is more amenable to control by alternative methods, and easier to implement for such control. It is, of course, not necessary to convert all 300 locos in one go, converting a few at a time as the layout is built so that you can run trains might be a good way forwards.  I suspect all 300 would not fit on the layout at the same time anyway!  Some of your collection will be easier to convert than others, so, together with which are your favourites, that could perhaps guide which ones you have converted first.

DCC is also amenable to the fitting of keep alive units, which can be useful for short wheelbase locos that are more susceptible to stalling, for more reliable running.

A bus system for the layout, as well as simplifying the wiring, allows all the different elements, such as trains, points, signals, routes etc to be centrally controlled in a integrated way, which is what is needed for alternative control methods. I favour CBUS, because it is what I use and know very well.  Yes, the modules need building, but that is offset by a much cheaper purchase cost.

Once you have the layout up and running with a bus controlled system, then various control methods can be implemented, the use of one does not preclude others.  This could range from a conventional control panel with switches that have extended levers for ease of operation, right through to the voice control that I demonstrated to you a year or so ago. That could be developed so that voice commands can do anything from control the start/stop/speed of one loco, setting routes and running a train from A to B, right through to a voice command to run a train sequence. How far you would go with that is dependant on how you would like to control it.

A model railway bus can also be linked to any AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication) system, such as touch screen, Eyegaze, head tracking, remote switches etc.   A starting point would be which methods you are finding work best for you for environment control in the house (windows, curtains etc) or, indeed, how you operate your computer to send emails etc.

Multiple control methods could be installed, which you use depending on how your motor control is coming on, or indeed how you feel on a given day.  None of this precludes a visitor operating things the conventional way

My son, who is disabled, uses large round tactile push buttons to start and stop trains, via the CBUS system, whilst I simultaneously use the standard handsets.

By implementing such control methods, hopefully you could do most or all of the actual route setting and train control, the carer's role would be to deal with any derailments or trains that stall on the track (hopefully all rare events with a well built layout) and, as has already been alluded to, perhaps they could do track cleaning duties.  Track cleaning wagons can contribute, but are, IMHO, not a complete solution on their own.  I have found that once the track is clean (I use a proprietary track cleaning product) if the layout is used very regularly then I very rarely need to do more cleaning.  The worst thing for dirty track and loco pickups is not using the layout for some time.

Pete

I have a suggestion, perhaps you could open your room as a sort of home based club, inviting local modellers to build the layout under your supervision.....this could be beneficial both to you and other modellers who lack the space to realise their ambitions.

14 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I do know that some of the very clever people at MERG have been working on a control system based on voice control, for a modeller who is in a similar situation. I don't know how far they have got but they told me that they were trying to combine the sort of software that is in everyday use for things like voice activated devices, with model railway control software. I wonder if that sort of thing might be worth investigating.

If you want to buy any of the MERG kits you will need to be a member.  I am a member and past Treasurer of MERG and haven't read anything about that idea in the MERG journal but I don't spend much time on that forum so it may well have been discussed there.  I sometimes get the impression that certain members are more interested in the electronics and new ideas than they do in the railway and modelling side, it's certainly the type thing that some of them might explore.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If you want to buy any of the MERG kits you will need to be a member.  I am a member and past Treasurer of MERG and haven't read anything about that idea in the MERG journal but I don't spend much time on that forum so it may well have been discussed there.  I sometimes get the impression that certain members are more interested in the electronics and new ideas than they do in the railway and modelling side, it's certainly the type thing that some of them might explore.

It was more a case of it being looked at by some people who are in MERG rather than it being a project being looked at by MERG itself.

I have been in touch with them about it and it turns out that the chap they have been talking to and the chap starting the thread are one and the same, so it turns out that I wasn't telling him anything he didn't know already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sometimes get the impression that certain members are more interested in the electronics and new ideas than they do in the railway and modelling side, it's certainly the type thing that some of them might explore.

Michael, if you look back a few posts you will see that I mentioned that I have demonstrated the voice control to Alan, so he can decide whether or not such a thing might be useful to him.

I also demonstrated it during a MERG online Zoom area group meeting a while back. I'm very interested in both the electronics and the railway modelling.  My son is disabled, so I have a particular interest in the application of the technology to help disabled people access railway modelling.   I certainly wouldn't class myself as "more interested in the electronics and new ideas than in the railway and modelling side" - I found that comment a little insensitive and upsetting as all I'm trying to do here is help with some answers that might help Alan make his decisions.

I hope that my knowledge combination about model railways, electronics, computer control, AAC and adaptations to help disabled modellers might also be able to help Alan.

Pete

Edited by PeteB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Michael, if you look back a few posts you will see that I mentioned that I have demonstrated the voice control to Alan, so he can decide whether or not such a thing might be useful to him.

I also demonstrated it during a MERG online Zoom area group meeting a while back. I'm very interested in both the electronics and the railway modelling.  My son is disabled, so I have a particular interest in the application of the technology to help disabled people access railway modelling.   I certainly wouldn't class myself as "more interested in the electronics and new ideas than in the railway and modelling side" - I found that comment a little upsetting as all I'm trying to do here is help with some answers that might help Alan make his decisions.

I hope that my knowledge combination about model railways, electronics, computer control, AAC and adaptations to help disabled modellers might also be able to help Alan.

Pete

Yet so far, Alan has not responded with further information or questions on what has been provided so far. Indeed it appears he disconnected from RMweb, almost immediately he asked the question.

I do realise that not everyone sits on RMweb 24/7.

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yet so far, Alan has not responded with further information or questions on what has been provided so far. Indeed it appears he disconnected from RMweb, almost immediately he asked the question.

I do realise that not everyone sits on RMweb 24/7.

Kevin, it was only a day and a half ago that Alan posted his questions! You need to remember that Alan cannot just walk up to a computer and check his messages like you can, I'm sure he will be along in due course.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Kevin, it was only a day and a half ago that Alan posted his questions! You need to remember that Alan cannot just walk up to a computer and check his messages like you can, I'm sure he will be along in due course.

I understand that, no problem! I wasn't having a go at anyone.

@Alan Fryer as other have said the good news is that there are enough systems to allow you to control a layout from a wheelchair and there are answers to your specific questions.

I would start by asking what your budget is for this? A professionally build layout of any type will not come cheap and DCC will have a premium over DC, especially if you are converting old loco's.

If it was not for your remark about having two trains in a section, I would say go for DC using a control such as the new HM6000. The only reason I am going for DCC on my new layout is for that reason, I need engines at either end of a siding for shunting etc...

I would have recommend the Hornby Railmaster system, which has voice control, but Hornby seem to have stopped selling this, so I am doubtful about its long term future. Beware of buying the system second hand as the software is locked into a PC and has to be unlocked before transfer, if the seller has failed to do this you will have made a big mistake in buying it.

I would support you revealing some part of your address, say your county, as you could them get in touch with other modellers how might be able to help you out by demonstrating systems.  I could easily take a small Railmaster layout to someone's home to demonstrate running two trains and a couple of points and sidings.

My last suggestion to you is start small - "play" with a small layout first and then build on that. With the sort of budget you will require spending money on small layout and DCC loco's at the beginning will not be wasted money. You can still set the Hornby R1172 The Majestic With E-Link  new through the Internet for under £700.

My final comments - I presume your wife is happy with this proposal, also that you have checked any long term financial issues relating to you paying out a significant sum on a hobby, especially anything to do with long term care for wither you or your wife.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Alan.  My first advice is to speak with an Occupational Therapist. You may find one with a partner who is an enthusiast (like me!!!) They will assess the situation as they would with any other household situation to accommodate your needs and wishes. They are professionals and will tell you exactly what is what.

There is a friend I have on RMWeb who was a Nurse for much of their Career and has a lot of experience in working with folk with a different ability. He is also a hugely experienced modeller and a very good person.

I really recommend  that you seek the OT's advice first off. I do think the informal 'Club' idea sounds good if you enjoy company and there is the situation where a very keen modeller without a decent space may become a good friend? However, do you wish to have to deal with some of the dynamics that come with 'a Club'?

As far as operation goes there should be little problem except for 'incidents' such as derailments. That can be dealt with believe me.

Sincerely

Phil

• Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

My first advice is to speak with an Occupational Therapist.

Good advice.  Alan's excellent OT was indeed present when we did the demo of various control options, including extended handle switches, touch screen and voice control amongst others.

Edited by PeteB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

If it was not for your remark about having two trains in a section, I would say go for DC using a control such as the new HM6000. The only reason I am going for DCC on my new layout is for that reason, I need engines at either end of a siding for shunting etc..

It depends what is actually meant by 'having two trains in a section' to a large extent.  I have now had several days of using the HM6000 and am finding it very easy and intuitive, but you need to wire the layout for DC and have switching for isolating sections if what you want is to be able to have a locomotive in motion and another, or several others, standing still and not responding to the controller, if this is what is meant by 'having two trains in a section'.  If you want to have two or more moving trains under separate control within the confines of the same electrical circuit, then you need DCC. 

Each HM6000 unit will allow two separate circuits to be controlled, and the setting of the sliders allows trains to be 'handed over' seamlessly in motion between the circuits, by which I mean electrical circuits not continous run loops of track (it is easy to get confused with imprecise unexplained meanings here).  What I do not yet know, and I do not require for my particular BLT setup, is if the two HM6000 controlled electrical circuits, see my definition above, can be used to hand over a loco across an isolating gap for some shunting and possibly banking operations, but I am assuming that it can.

My view is that, assuming that OP Alun's ability to type a post indicates that he can control trains with a smartphone or tablet screen, because of the large number of locos some of which are probably from a pre-DCC era, then HM6000 type app based DC control is the preferable option in this case.  I accept that it is very new and not everyone will be familiar with it's capabilities; indeed, those of us who have taken a punt on it are probably not yet fully aware of the potential for untethered operation of points, signals, and, most pertinent to this discussion, isolating section switches by the HM6010 accessory unit from the phone/tablet screen user interface. 

That said, if the proposed layout is complex and requires a large number of HM6010s, each with it's own psu, costs will mount quickly, and we are not yet cogniscent of OP Alun's fiduciary position; even if he is a millionaire, it is in any case good sense not to advice him to adopt something that is going to cost more than a viable alternative without good reason.

I have been thinking a little about the operational difficulties that might arise if OP Alun is operating 'alone', by which I mean with only his carer present and no other person than himself aware of the intricacies of model railway operation.  His carer can no doubt be trained to rescue derailments, put stock on the track correctly, and even, under his instruction, the right order, and act as the occasional 'finger of god' whatever control system is used.  There is all sorts of technology that can help him operate the trains, and automatic couplings should mean that there is normally no need to handle the stock on the layout, but with the best will and most careful operation in the world there will still be derailments and trains out of reach that will not restart without a godfinger.  

He should, ideally, be able to access and operate the layout alone, if this can be done safely and he does not require 24/7 constant supervision or monitoring; it is, after all, his layout to enjoy in any way he sees fit.  I'm not cogniscent of the exact requirements of quadraplegic people, and suspect they may in any case differ in individual cases; if nothing else, this discussion has provked me to think seriously about what I think (possibly mistakenly) are the issues and possible practical problems, and how their solutions might be best implemented.  We can suggest, opinion, or advise, but ultimately it is Alun who must be the instigator and driver of the situation, and those helping him must do so to his requirements and instructions without imposing their own version of what they think is best for him (not suggesting this would happen, just pointing out what I think should be a basic principle, in effect doing exactly what I am suggesting should not be done of course, what I think is not relevant!).

The baseboard height is going to be a fairly critical element, as he needs to be able to both see what is going on and to get close enough to the models to enjoy the finer details from his chair.  The chair, I am assuming self propelled, is going to be his means of moving around the layout as well.  It would be interesting to hear from those who have fully automated coupling and uncoupling, especially if they frequently manage to conduct entire operating sessions without handling the models in any way.  The analogy would be the operation of a layout, including shunting, coupling, uncoupling, that was inaccessible behind a sealed glass screen; I would be willing to bet that few can actually achieve this if any degree of shunting complexity is needed.  A lot of equipment has to be 100% reliable 100% of the time, and this requires regular maintenance and cleaning.  There is no way of automating this; even the cleaning has to be done by hand though electronic or pad-in-a-vehicle cleaning may help. 

Locos need to be kept clean as well or pickup performance will deteriorate, and it is unlikely that OP Alun can do this easily; he does not have hands or that sort of dexterity.  It is therefore IMHO essential to the success of his layout project that a 'proper' modeller is available to support him in this way.  If he has any friends that are willing to perform this role, the problem is a large way to being solved, or a local club or perhaps even a dealer may be willing to take it on.  300 locos and the corresponding amount of stock is a fairly solid maintenance committment, perhaps some input form commercial display layout operators with permanent staff may be helpful in assessing the committment.  Of course, not all 300 locos will be in service at once and it might be practical for them to be collected in batches and seen to elsewhere.

But I'm pretty confident that a model railway can be devised that OP Alun can operate and enjoy!

May I say a belated but huge thank you to all you good folks who have taken the time and trouble to answer my questions. It will take me some time to digest all of the information which you have given me. I never expected such a lot of advice; RM web really is a great resource, I'm most impressed, having only registered last week!
The only answer I would give at the moment is to the person behind the username my rule 1 and it is simply seeking clarification, as follows. You say that "if it wasn't for the comment about having 2 trains in one section then I would recommend HM 6000". I actually said that I would never have 2 locos in the same section, so am I right in thinking that HM 6000 is a candidate control system for me to use?
Again, many thanks to you all; I am very grateful for you taking the time and trouble that you have done.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1