Peter's Spares Lima Diesel Replacement Wheelsets

Hello Everyone.     I was wondering if anyone can provide me with the wheel diameters of the above items.   I understand they come in two sizes (Large and Small).   I am asking so I may ascertain whether they will be suitable for Lima Australian outline diesels.   I did enquire of Peter's Spares and whilst I got a response, did not actually get an answer!   I am hoping the small sets will be suitable for the Aussie Locos (nominal diam of 11.3 - 11.4 mm).

Many Thanks

Col

Thanks Kevin for your response.   I am assuming the Aussie Loco Wheels would all be the same size.   42, 422, and VR B class.   I have measured the 42 class and they come in at 11.3-11.4 diam.   The Lima XPT should be the same as the Lima HST so no problems there.

Cheers

Col

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Seacat said:

Thanks Kevin for your response.   I am assuming the Aussie Loco Wheels would all be the same size.   42, 422, and VR B class.   I have measured the 42 class and they come in at 11.3-11.4 diam.   The Lima XPT should be the same as the Lima HST so no problems there.

Cheers

Col

The other Lima Australian classes were the VR S Class, SA 930 & GM32. All used the same bogies.

There was the Class 38 steam locos and the monstrosity of the HO 4F labelled as a NSW steam loco - the class 19 or something.

Thanks again Kevin, for responding, but I am still not any closer to an answer to my original question.    What are the diameters of the Peter's Spares Lima replacement wheelsets ?   Is the small size a viable replacement for the Lima Aussie Locos?   Peter's Spares informed me that the gear on the axle should be the same size, but the overall diameter of the wheel will determine correct ride height.

Cheers

Col

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Seacat said:

Thanks again Kevin, for responding, but I am still not any closer to an answer to my original question.    What are the diameters of the Peter's Spares Lima replacement wheelsets ?   Is the small size a viable replacement for the Lima Aussie Locos?   Peter's Spares informed me that the gear on the axle should be the same size, but the overall diameter of the wheel will determine correct ride height.

Cheers

Col

OK, I've had a look at Peter's website on the PC rather than the phone and I can see why you are confused!

There are 2 sizes on Lima locos. The larger ones being for classes 26/27/33/87 and Warship.

The smaller ones being for almost all the rest.

But I don't think the listing is correct. If you look at the Ultrascale website, you will find a different chart for each wheel size.

https://www.ultrascale.uk/eshop/products/CAT007#LDCP

Having said that, I believe all your Australian Lima models will take the smaller size of Peter's Spares replacement wheels. These are 12mm according to Peter's statements.

Thanks Kevin.     The magic number.... 12mm.   I will order a set just to be on the safe side, rather than ordering for all my diesels.   As I said before, the XPT/HST sets are a no brainer but I didn't want to commit to buying 5 sets for my other NSWGR locos before knowing for certain.

Thanks again

Cheers

Col

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Would the replacement wheelsets have the same large flange as the Lima originals or be somewhat smaller?

This early photo shows a much smaller flange. I suspect these made it into production like that.

• Thanks 1

The point of the new Peters Spares wheelsets is to eliminate both traction tyres and the pizza cutter flanges. I have some now at home, for fitting to a loco once I myself return home from sea.

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, MarkC said:

The point of the new Peters Spares wheelsets is to eliminate both traction tyres and the pizza cutter flanges. I have some now at home, for fitting to a loco once I myself return home from sea.

Mark

Well exactly, as it would be pointless replacing them with an identical product!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1