Royal Scotsman Advice

• RMweb Premium

Hi all. 

I’m in a bit of a quandary. I sprayed my royal Scotsman rake some time ago and it was far too brown a shade once it dried, I purchased a different maroon and it dried far too red. I should point out neither of these previous paints were specific model paint. 
Can anyone suggest a colour that closely matches Hattons Class 66? LMS Crimson Lake perhaps? 

cheers in advance 

• RMweb Premium

Anyone? I’ve tried asking Hattons what shade they use but they said they can’t release it due to confidentiality agreement in the contract and Belmond hasn’t even replied to emails. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2021 at 22:46, Hilux5972 said:

Anyone? I’ve tried asking Hattons what shade they use but they said they can’t release it due to confidentiality agreement in the contract and Belmond hasn’t even replied to emails. 

Have you got an image of the model you are trying to replicate?

The fact that Belmond haven't replied and Hattons have a confidentiality clause that prohibits them from stating the colour suggests that Belmond don't want to be making the information publicly available.  As such, it looks like it will have to be a trial and error exercise.

I'd agree that based on the images that you've posted, the Vallejo Red Violet looks more promising than the Gory Red, but I'm not sure either looks right as to my eye; the Royal Scotsman livery looks a bit more brown.  Looking at the Vallejo paint chart for the Model Colour range - https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/CC070-Model_Color-Rev17-baja.pdf, I'd be tempted to suggest 70.982 Marron Rojo / Cavalry Brown (bottom of the ninth column), but perhaps that's a little too brown. 

The problem with trying to select from a paint chart is that the paint, once dry, doesn't always match the ink on the colour chart.  Looking at the Game Colour chart (

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/vallejo-game-color-CC072_Rev17.pdf) it claims that 'Gory Red' in the Game Colour range is an equivalent of 'Cavalry Brown' in the Model Colour range, yet they don't really look the same to me.

Interestingly 72.711 Gory Red in the Game Air range (https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/vallejo-game-air-CC082-Rev02.pdf) which is also meant to be an equivalent, looks more brown than the Gory Red image that you've posted above.

Therefore unless someone is able to post a picture of their model of the Royal Scotsman and state what paint they used, I think you'll just need to pick another colour and give it a try.

• Agree 1