Moving sound functions: Zimo MX648R

philsandy

Have done a search for this and have the Zimo manual but can not find an answer.

I want to move some sound functions to different F keys.  eg. sound on F24 to F8  using the NCE Powercab controller.

I have tried two methods, 1.  altering the value of CV534 (F8 sound assignment) to that in CV 685 (F24 sound assignment), and   2. changing CV424 (input mapping for F24)  from 0 to 8. Both of these moved the sound on F24 to the required F8 key, but did not remove the original F8 sound, so have two sound effects when F8 is pressed. Can anyone help please.

It helps ounderstand the processes involved.

Method 1.

Only applicable to sound mapping, not functions,

Changing the value in CV534 actually assigns a specific sound sample to F key 8. (NOTE. It does not move the sound from elsewhere)

This, by definition, overwrites any value already there, so it should not be possible to have two sounds simultaneously on this, or any other F key, using this method.

Remember that you have made no change to values associated with F key 24, so that will also still play the same sample until you assign something different.

Method 2.

This method is unique to ZIMO as far as I know.

It is a completely non-destructive process. No changes are made to sounds or functions assigned to any F key.

Instead, the method instructs the decoder to treat inputs from the specified F key as if it were comming from a different (specified) F key.

There are several different useful features in this method, one of which is layering. If you are unaware of these it can cause several sounds to be played at the same time, unless you take the additional steps necessary to avoid it.

In simple terms, If there is already somethng 'on' the target F key, this will also operate with your input mapped new sound or function. So, if this is not what you wish to happen, you will need to 'clear' the target F key (F8 in this case) either by removing any resident assignments, or input mapping it to a different (free) F key.

In your case, CV424 to 8  has told the decoder 'When F 8 is engaged play whatever is on F 24'. That's fine, it's what you need. But there is no instruction given to not play whatever is already assigned to F 8, so both the assigned and mapped sounds play simultaneously.

In either case, CV8 = 8 will return all CVs to the state in which the sound project was loaded.

For moving sounds only, Method 1 is probably the best option for most users.

Take care when using both methods for the same sound project. They are not mutually exclusive, but it's easy to lose the big picture and get anomalous results.

To start from a known good state, it might be advantageous to perform a reset before trying to unpick what you have done so far. If the above does not enable you to fix the issue, please let us know which sound project you are adjusting, where sourced and version number if possible (try reading CVs 105 and 106 for this) and describe the sounds/functions initially found on F8 and F24 . A note of any 'free' F keys may be helpful too.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Thanks 1

Paul, thanks for your very detailed reply. I managed to move the sounds I wanted using method 1.

You are right, there were not 2 sounds operated from the one key, (F8), I was hearing the Safety valve, which was on F8, but this is a random sound, and it just happened to come in while the "moved" sound, Buffer Up was playing. Thanks again.