Sound Decoder for EMU’s

Butler

Hi

Ive always thought that a sound decoder for a SR EMU seems a bit pointless, there’s not a lot to hear, but lately I’ve been curious as to what they sound like. Is anyone familiar with these. Is there a difference in sound chips in early emus 2Bil, 2Hal, BB etc to later EPBs and CEPs. And I’m also curious as to whether they include that noise from under the train whilst stopped, the brake compressor? and that POP whilst accelerating, was that an overload cutout?

if anyone can link me to a video i would appreciate it, and any comments as to whether it’s worthwhile.

Thank You

B

Not had a reply from anybody, so did bit of searching on You Tube , so far I’m not particularly impressed with any Emu Sound I heard. There only seems to be 1 sound Decoder available for SR EMUs which is generic for 1930’s units up to 4Veps. Surely there must be a discernible difference in such a vast difference of age. I guess there is nothing to record them from! 

Any comments welcome

B

• Agree 1

I have to agree with Butler's and Richard's comments: older style EMU sounds don't really cut it for me.

I have two class 450s with class 350 sounds from legomanbiffo and these are very good. I also have one class 319 with bif's sounds for a class 320/321, which at least has traction motor whine, something that seems to be lacking from any other EMU files I have tried in the past. I was dissatisfied enough with those other sounds to have reblown the decoders with completely different sounds for diesels or steam locos.

It seems to me that the main problem with EMU traction motor sounds is that they are difficult, if not impossible to synchronise directly with rail speed.

5 hours ago, SRman said:

I have to agree with Butler's and Richard's comments: older style EMU sounds don't really cut it for me.

I have two class 450s with class 350 sounds from legomanbiffo and these are very good. I also have one class 319 with bif's sounds for a class 320/321, which at least has traction motor whine, something that seems to be lacking from any other EMU files I have tried in the past. I was dissatisfied enough with those other sounds to have reblown the decoders with completely different sounds for diesels or steam locos.

It seems to me that the main problem with EMU traction motor sounds is that they are difficult, if not impossible to synchronise directly with rail speed.

<Pedant mode>

FWIW the 319 starting from rest sounds distinctly different from the 320/321 due to the GTO traction control of the former and the phase angle thyristor control of the latter.  The predominant sound on a 319 when starting is a constant pitch tone caused by the GTO pack which is gradually drowned out by the "normal" traction motor sound as speed increases.  It is a very distinctive 319 characteristic.  The predominant sound on the 321 family when starting is the "normal" traction motor sound.  You can't tell the difference once the speed has increased sufficiently such that track noise and the "normal" traction motor sound dominates but on starting they sound very different.  

</Pedant mode>

2 hours ago, DY444 said:

<Pedant mode>

FWIW the 319 starting from rest sounds distinctly different from the 320/321 due to the GTO traction control of the former and the phase angle thyristor control of the latter.  The predominant sound on a 319 when starting is a constant pitch tone caused by the GTO pack which is gradually drowned out by the "normal" traction motor sound as speed increases.  It is a very distinctive 319 characteristic.  The predominant sound on the 321 family when starting is the "normal" traction motor sound.  You can't tell the difference once the speed has increased sufficiently such that track noise and the "normal" traction motor sound dominates but on starting they sound very different.  

</Pedant mode>

I know, but there are no class 319 sounds available from anyone that I am aware of. I had to settle for the second best, so to speak. As soon as I can get true 319 sounds, I will reblow the decoder.

I have one of Legomanbiffo's projects on a Loksound v4 installed into my 2-EPB.

The traction motors make a fairly quiet whine. Horns sound a bit funny but I understand this is authentic because they rarely worked properly.

Spirax valves always add a sense of life to something which is stationary.

What really gave these units character was the compressor, which is faithfully reproduced & can be turned on/off whenever you like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I completely agree with Pete - the compressor sound is the main feature of Mark 1 EMU's, and is done very well on the few sound cards available. But also the braking sounds and flange squeal are pretty good, which are also key features in my memory of them. The motor noise is barely discernible, which is a pity, as the high pitched whine during acceleration was also a feature, but maybe more inside the train than out.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

The motor noise is barely discernible, which is a pity, as the high pitched whine during acceleration was also a feature, but maybe more inside the train than out.

Often quite discernible outside too from my recollection.

Hopefully this video which I took at Bournemouth on 1st November 2006 will give an aural flavour.

South West Trains Bournemouth, 1st November 2006

Class 423 4 Vep - Brake squeal at 1:15

Class 423 4 Vep - Traction motor whine 1:40 - 1:55, which ends with the 'pop' as the line breaker opens

Class 442 5 Wes - Traction motor whine 2:26 - 2:36

Class 442 5 Wes - Line breaker opening at 3:28 & 3:34 during an uncoupling manoeuvre, with the background of the compressor running.

A couple of other noises which, to me, were always typical of BR(S) EMUs was the ever present hum of the motor-generator set and also the loud hiss of escaping air when a driver vented the brake air when reaching the trains destination.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 3