Scrap metal owner of diesel shunters

• RMweb Gold

I think it would be safe to say that no rail connected scrapyards bought loco’s, both steam and diesel new, rather ones that were bought for scrapping and if they could get it to work, they would until either it broke down or something better was found.

Remember as well, a lot of yards used just a simple tractor with a steel buffering plate welded to the front.

• Like 1

I don't think any business would entirely rely on locos 'bought for scrapping' .......... you're probably right that few if any scrappers would have bought new - but there was normally a healthy second hand market they could purchase from ..... even if the locos weren't particularly healthy !

Edited by Wickham Green too
spilling

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure Ward's large yard at Inverkeithing used to have a couple, maybe cl.03-sized at most.

But this was looking down from a passing train on the elevated viaduct (between Inverkeithing & North Queensferry), so they looked small anyway!

(Cue Father Ted joke)

The old Mayer Parry site at Snailwell has a Ruston and a NBL. They have been clever over the years and had quite a few Paxman fitted locos which has helped them with spares even for the two still on site. In the past when they hired in a shunter it too was Paxman powered. They do seem to like 6RPHL units (275hp).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drjcontroller said:

Not the one you referred to, but here's one I took in Dublin Docks in 1994, posing alongside one of the Metropolitan Vickers "A" class locos on Alexandra Road tramway.

94.60.jpg

4 hours ago, 25901 said:

This is all very interesting, and it had me wondering about a large scale alternative shunting layout with a remote control tractor shoving wagons about (is there one in a reasonable scale? I only seem to be able to find them in 1:16, which is a bit big, and mostly they are models of fairly large, modern tractors which may also not be quite what’s needed). I’m trying to think whether such a layout would offer any interesting possibilities that wouldn’t work with normal locos. The obvious one is being able to run round without points but I’m not sure that’s actually particularly interesting on the sort of shunting puzzle layout I had in mind. Working around wagon turntables and traversers may be a possibility (this would only work with conventional motive power if capstans etc. were also used). Obviously some space would be saved but there would still need to be room for the tractor to get appropriately positioned in relation to the wagons.

8 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Try hunting down Laurie Adams' Yeovil Town layout.

Working Shunting Tractor in 2mm Finescale.

Regards

Ian

I did find that - very impressive. As far as I can understand from the video it uses magnets moved by equipment under the board with passive steering though, which may not work quite as well for the sort of small layout I had in mind. There are commercially available RC tractors in 1:32, but they are modern prototypes so I’m not sure how correct they would be.

• Agree 1

The previously-mentioned Crossley Evans scrapyard in Shipley, near Bradford, hasn't received inbound scrap metal trains for many years, but still have their fleet of diesel shunters.  When I went past a couple of months ago, the ex-Esholt Hunslet "Prince of Wales", the former MoD loco "Venom", and by the look of it, at least one of the Sentinels were still there, along with the derelict R&H 88DS locomotives "Beth" and the unknown example parked behind.  The 88's are pretty well buried in the trees and undergrowth, but seem to be permanent features of the yard!  The management must have a soft-spot for the locomotives, for them to have survived unused in a scrapyard for so long.

MC metals had an ex army diesel shunter but it didn't have enough brake force so they ended up using 20189 instead. It had been bought for scrap, but was put back into working order. Its still going strong out on the mainline to this day.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed an entry for T.W. Ward at Inverkeithing, on RAILSCOT:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/I/Inverkeithing_Shipbreaking_Yard/

Says there were two Fowler 0-4-0DM shunters (pics in linked page)

The yard was initially involved in ex-RN/Merchant vessel disposal inc. HMS Dreadnought & RMS Mauretania but later dealt with railway stock.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1