PETROLEUM RAIL TANK WAGONS OF BRITAIN

paul 27

Having purchased the first edition by  R. Tourret  is it worth considering his latest 

edition,   is there a duplication of photos with more up to date wagons added  

or is it a completly different book.

Edited by paul 27

3 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Thanks more interested in the BR Steam Era is there much more added.

Yes- including quite a few drawings. It does, as did the first edition, have a fairly liberal interpretation of what constitutes a petroluem tank (corn syrup, anyone?), but I can live with that.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking advantage of this thread to ask a quick question.

When it comes to 1950s/60s - what tank wagons prevailed and which manufacturers produce these wagons in 4mm/OO scale. 

I have built a fair few Airfix/Dapol B tanks and have a couple of the Heljan version - but understood these came into use in the early 1960s.  I really like some of the private owner tank wagons produced by Bachmann, but I understood these to be from pre grouping era.

Grateful for any insights.

Thanks

Steve

35 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

When it comes to 1950s/60s - what tank wagons prevailed and which manufacturers produce these wagons in 4mm/OO scale. 

I have built a fair few Airfix/Dapol B tanks and have a couple of the Heljan version - but understood these came into use in the early 1960s.  I really like some of the private owner tank wagons produced by Bachmann, but I understood these to be from pre grouping era.

Thanks

Steve

Tank wagons had a remarkably long service life. Our local steel-works recived unfitted Class B tanks (Shell-BP and Esso) into the 1970s; when they were finally retired, the steelworks bought them, and sliced the top halves of the barrels; instant scrap carriers. 

I saw a bogie oil tanker at Landore diesel depot in the late 1960s. 'What's so unusual about this?', you might say. Well, this one was built pre-WW1, and would survive into the early 1970s.

What you would find in the 1950s and '60s is either block trains, or 'cuts' within a mixed freight, where the wagons would be of a variety of types, but owned by the same company

As to models, a combination of 'Oxford Rail' and Bachmann kits would provide a good starting point

• Thanks 1

The drawings in the last edition are better - Tourret had found a compass (circles are important or tank wagons and they are noticeably freehand in the 1st edition). 

Brian is correct about the PO tank wagon fleet. There was increasing need for tank wagons - think of how much more fuel was being used by road transport in the 1950s - and the pipelines were only just being constructed. So, the fleets remained much the same, but with more wagons being added during the 1950s. SMBP was by the far the largest fleet and was very slow to accept they would continue to use rail - they didn't have any of those 22T vacuum brake types you mention and didn't really start to replace their fleet until 45 ton and 100 ton bogie tanks became available. They had many hundreds of very old wagons in local area movements, but the mainline long distance fleet comprised wagons from the 1920s build onward (which isn't really terribly old - there are plenty of 40 + year old wagons in use today) 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pounbraked

Paul

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2021 at 21:15, sjp23480 said:

Thanks

Steve

Your best answer will be provided by the book itself, recently made available at a bargain price, available from all decent outlets including mine:

https://www.titfield.co.uk/Books/Wagons-det.htm#1765

Simon

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Yes have that one,   is the revised tourret

On 04/05/2021 at 17:37, Not Jeremy said:

Your best answer will be provided by the book itself, recently made available at a bargain price, available from all decent outlets including mine:

https://www.titfield.co.uk/Books/Wagons-det.htm#1765

Simon

Is the reduced price a recent reprint or is it old stock from 2009

1 hour ago, paul 27 said:

Yes have that one,   is the revised tourret

Is the reduced price a recent reprint or is it old stock from 2009

It's the revised, and considerably fatter, volume. The most recent entry is for bitumen tankers from 2009, and the publication date is also for that year. For me, one very annoying feature of the original was that illustrations and captions were often several pages apart; this is much less common in the recent edition.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The HMRS book was originally £19.95 + p&p to nonmembers, so £6 plus p&p is quite a bit less even allowing for increases in postage costs since it was published.

But at that price I might look out for the Tourret one next time I get to a show.

Jonathan

• Like 1