First major scratch-built buildings

Inspired by many people on this site, I decided to have a shot myself.  I've been intrigued with the range of buildings in my local town in Lincs and especially a group 3 of that I thought could start a nice backdrop.  These will be at the rear so detail wouldn't be so important.   I've mainly used Scalescenes papers plus bits & pieces from other sites. Many ideas from this site as well.  Though a bit rough in places, I think they give the flavour of the originals.  I've learnt a lot:  if some things just can't be created in a reasonable time & are beyond your skills, don't worry !  (To give myself a breather after all this,  I'm fitting semaphore and ground signals and wiring up control panels).

I've found one problem:  I get glue stains which dry very shiny on places like roofs.  Not sure what is the best way to cover this.  Have tried weathering powders but they don't work very well.

Y4MBPJ~1.JPG

Y4MQHX~1.JPG

Y4MHSK~1.JPG

• Like 14

Hi Edward,

very well done with those, so very rewarding to build your own structures like that.

hope your pleased with the result.

Peter A L

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

Well done, Edward!  You have made a fine job of capturing the atmosphere of these attractive buildings.

About the glue stains, it's best to avoid them in the first place, though it's not always possible, but a few glue syringes with different size nozzles bought on eBay for very little money (search for glue syringes), will make life much easier!

IMG_4509.JPG

This sort of thing,   but make sure you have a means of sealing the fine tube after use, or washing the whole thing out, else it will dry and become useless (don't ask how I know this!)    You might also consider printing Scalescenes texture sheets onto self-adhesive label paper - no glue, no sticky fingers, and a chance of limited re-positioning if you make a mistake!

As for masking existing marks, any decent matt varnish, spray or brush should do the trick - I live in France, so pointless recommending a local brew, but in the UK, Testors Dulcote is the go-to product, I believe.

Cheers  Mike

Edited by Spotlc
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • RMweb Gold

As others have said, impressive, Barclays in particular with the detail around the doors and windows.

As for the stains I went for a different approach. I stopped using scalescenes roofing and have gone for Scale Model Scenery tiles. They do a set of laser cut weathered tiles which I then stick down with clear PVA and have not had the staining issue I used to get with paper. Below is an example using their dirty tiles which have lots of bird poop but there is also a lighter weathered sheet. 

060421_1_small.jpg.4c6524132022e0680a001245e86097f8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
22 hours ago, Spotlc said:

Well done, Edward!  You have made a fine job of capturing the atmosphere of these attractive buildings.

About the glue stains, it's best to avoid them in the first place, though it's not always possible, but a few glue syringes with different size nozzles bought on eBay for very little money (search for glue syringes), will make life much easier!

IMG_4509.JPG

This sort of thing,   but make sure you have a means of sealing the fine tube after use, or washing the whole thing out, else it will dry and become useless (don't ask how I know this!)    You might also consider printing Scalescenes texture sheets onto self-adhesive label paper - no glue, no sticky fingers, and a chance of limited re-positioning if you make a mistake!

As for masking existing marks, any decent matt varnish, spray or brush should do the trick - I live in France, so pointless recommending a local brew, but in the UK, Testors Dulcote is the go-to product, I believe.

Cheers  Mike

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your tips. I do try very hard to keep the glue away but always seems to happen.  This time is was mainly the roof ridge tiling!  I'll certainly try the matt varnish trick!

22 hours ago, Spotlc said:

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, pirouets said:

As others have said, impressive, Barclays in particular with the detail around the doors and windows.

As for the stains I went for a different approach. I stopped using scalescenes roofing and have gone for Scale Model Scenery tiles. They do a set of laser cut weathered tiles which I then stick down with clear PVA and have not had the staining issue I used to get with paper. Below is an example using their dirty tiles which have lots of bird poop but there is also a lighter weathered sheet. 

060421_1_small.jpg.4c6524132022e0680a001245e86097f8.jpg

I do like your cottages!   I fear in my case it's just cackhandedness!  But I will keep trying!

• Friendly/supportive 1
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edward said:

I fear in my case it's just cackhandedness!

Ah, a fellow sufferer of everyone else must be better than me :-) Can't see any signs of cackhandedness if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nice buildings Edward.  They certainly have lots of character.  Re the unwanted glue stains.  I use an acrylic glue called 'Cosmic Shimmer' which is available online.  Any excess glue can be picked up whilst wet with a wooden cocktail stick, leaving no residue or staining.  Great stuff.  I also use it around the layout for fixing down figures, buildings, lamp posts, fencing and most other things.

Terry

• Like 1
On 03/05/2021 at 04:28, Edward said:

've found one problem:  I get glue stains which dry very shiny on places like roofs.  Not sure what is the best way to cover this.  Have tried weathering powders but they don't work very well

There are glues used in decoupage that wont give that stain. Some as well as using to glue the item down you also brush all over the finished piece  and it gives a matt or satin varnish finish of your choice.

I know Mod Podge have a range, there may be others. I only know this because my sister was into it for a bit and would give us stuff that she'd decoupaged every christmas and birthday.

• Like 1

If you have a local The Range shop, they sell Windsor and Newton acrylic matt varnish in 500ml pots that works out much cheaper than the modelling equivalents, its for artists but it works great on card/paper and I also use it on my plastic models.

HobbyCraft also sell micro glue applicators in a pack of 3 which are good for PVA glues, they come with a pin to seal the thin nozzle.

1 hour ago, Campaman said:

If you have a local The Range shop, they sell Windsor and Newton acrylic matt varnish in 500ml pots that works out much cheaper than the modelling equivalents, its for artists but it works great on card/paper and I also use it on my plastic models.

HobbyCraft also sell micro glue applicators in a pack of 3 which are good for PVA glues, they come with a pin to seal the thin nozzle.

Andy  ,  yes we have a Range and I'll explore their stock.  Thanks for the tip

Edward