legacy models lm-id train detection

deepfat

• RMweb Gold

I am looking at these units but wondered if anyone had tried them or have a better /cheaper alternative?  I have DCC concepts digital motors throughout and I am trying to put  detection  far enough from my points to throw them if points are set against my express trains  

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple - recently acquired. I use them simply to indicate track occupancy on a couple of hidden spurs. They are very simple to install and do work - mine just light an LED. Only problem, for an odd loco or two, they can illuminate when these locos are approaching before it gets to the isolated section (which I guess wouldn’t be a problem for your intended usage), and /or when said locos are approaching on the adjacent parallel track. I’ve queried this with DCC Concepts and their view is it is probably caused by higher -than-normal resistance, most likely caused by dirty wheels on these locos. This is so recent, I haven’t yet got round to sorting it one way or another.

I also occurs to me that because I installed these after the track was originally laid/wired, the connecting leads to the devices do run parallel on the surface alongside the (adjacent) tracks, so I wondered if there was any interference. 
I also have some Heathcote IRDOT infra red detection devices used for a similar purpose,  and these work well, but can be subject to the nature of the background and/or flickering as a train goes over them, as daylight flickers in gaps between rolling stock.

Not used the device in question, but it seems quite pricy for a single block detector.  

Other brands are perhaps £25 for four sections. 

Or build your own current sensing coil detector from a kit at around £3.50 per block. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

£5 would easily get you a 5 volt IR sensor and relay board designed for use with an Arduino. The Arduino wouldn't be required, just output the IR sensor into the relay. Relay output triggers the Cobalt push-button connectors. Advantage of IR is that it would react to anything heading towards the point, useful if a long rake of coaches / wagons is being pushed and the loco hasn't reached the DCC current draw sensor.