Bachmann Summer 2021 - New products - New 24/0

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to the swallow Mk2fs.

Quite amusing people's reactions of being underwhelmed/disappointed to what amounts to just one quarter of an annual announcement. 

• Round of applause 2

Certainly not cheap!

I following the Deutsche Bundesbahn in N as my main interest, which has never been cheap, but these latest prices are surprising. 

The last OO loco I bought was 'Sir Gawaine' about twelve years ago for what would be termed now a pocket money price, I do not think I'll be adding to my OO collection anytime soon.

100 Quid for a coach, that is fairly expensive for a HO coach these days.

Lovely models though, I have to admit. If I do rekindle my interest in OO, I'll just have to bite the bullet. I may limit myself to a J15 and a module based on Worlington Halt, on the Mildenhall branch!

5 minutes ago, Foden said:

Quite amusing people's reactions of being underwhelmed/disappointed to what amounts to just one quarter of an annual announcement. 

Not much multipled by 4 is still not much!

I aren't disappointed, plenty of other stuff from other people to buy.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Well compound much requested and I'm salivating at the look of it  but £214 ouch . OK it may get discounted but the NRM/Rails Precedent is on order @£220 and my much delayed Caley 812 @£200, so I reckon they are being rewarded with too much business as it is . 

By the way its currently $1.39 to the £  compared to $1.22 last year . Most business in China is either in $ or benchmarked against it . Are we seeing a commensurate reduction  in price ......no 

£49.95 for a low relief semi .... really ?  

Don't get the 24 at all . I've got 2 of the original models . They are good enough and surely anyone who wanted a better one would have gone for an SLW one by now .  Is there a Bachmann Collectors fraternity that buy all models  Bachmann produce?  I think thats about the only market remaining for them 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Not much multipled by 4 is still not much!

I aren't disappointed, plenty of other stuff from other people to buy.

Two new OO locos in one half, and you don't know what the 'other half' has to offer yet either.

Add to that you can actually purchase these items within a reasonable timeframe of them being announced.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Foden said:

Two new OO locos in one half, and you don't know what the 'other half' has to offer yet either.

Add to that you can actually purchase these items within a reasonable timeframe of them being announced.

Yes, but most people's disappointment you are mocking is "nothing in it for me". Just because they are releasing stuff it doesn't mean it appeals to everybody.

I spend less with Bachmann than I do with any other mainstream OO manufacturer.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Was the two road engine shed - aka Whitby NER shed - done as part of the TMC range made for them by Bachmann or is it a Bachmann re-release? 

I was thinking it is the same model. Perhaps there was a certain time span where the tooling couldn’t be used until it had passed? 

12 minutes ago, Legend said:

Well compound much requested and I'm salivating at the look of it  but £214 ouch . OK it may get discounted but the NRM/Rails Precedent is on order @£220 and my much delayed Caley 812 @£200, so I reckon they are being rewarded with too much business as it is . 

By the way its currently $1.39 to the £  compared to $1.22 last year . Most business in China is either in $ or benchmarked against it . Are we seeing a commensurate reduction  in price ......no 

£49.95 for a low relief semi .... really ?  

Don't get the 24 at all . I've got 2 of the original models . They are good enough and surely anyone who wanted a better one would have gone for an SLW one by now .  Is there a Bachmann Collectors fraternity that buy all models  Bachmann produce?  I think thats about the only market remaining for them 

Interesting noting the prices as I was thinking something similar too. The Intercity Mk. 2 comes back at the same price, but the Virgin one that is to follow will arrive higher at about £74 I think. One massive shock to the system is the WCRC that is sitting on shelves - as at £174 for a West Coast railway engine which is normally popular - its still a massive hike compared to what was released before.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Now that would be interesting but it's common knowledge that they are intending to do further runs of skinhead 24's at some point but they are currently concentrating on the headcode box variants and the 25's

Nothing to do with that, its just the fact that a much bigger manufacturer has had the bareface cheek to also make a 24

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clagsniffer said:

Was excited about the swallow liveried Mk2’s but the excitement quickly turned to gutted when I saw the price. Best part of £100 each for one coach, I just simply can’t afford to buy a rake. By the time I save up for them they will be released and no doubt sold out straight away. And £32 for a single TTA??? Ah well.

Best part of £70 a coach if you can live without DCC lighting.  You can almost buy a TTA with the money saved…  Still not cheap, especially when you compare to coaches that come in red boxes, and my view is that the red box people are likely to see Baccy’s prices as a reason to increase their own prices. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I'm pleased to see the Swallow Mk2Fs, but having said that I've built up a nice rake of Executive ones so personally I'm not in a huge rush especially with the new RRPs!

I really dont understand the Class 24. I'm presuming that its developed as a fall out from the 24/1s, but did they really need new tooling for it? The upper end of the market must be going directly to Suttons so the market Bachmann would be aiming for would have to be more price sensitive ... but also why 24035 and 97201 again??? Those precise locos have been done before on older tooling.

I'm really surprised that they've obviously thought it more worthwhile doing the 24 than doing more reliveries on things like the Class 47s and 90s which would seem a much more open goal to me certainly at the moment. They had already announced a BR Blue Class 47/4 and Large Logo 47711 possibly in 2019 which we haven't seen yet and I would have expected to sell well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Clagsniffer said:

Was excited about the swallow liveried Mk2’s but the excitement quickly turned to gutted when I saw the price. Best part of £100 each for one coach, I just simply can’t afford to buy a rake. By the time I save up for them they will be released and no doubt sold out straight away. And £32 for a single TTA??? Ah well.

These Price are off the wall. Helps me cut down my model railway spending though which is fine as I have enough at this stage.

That Bog though, could almost smell it through the computer screen.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Does seem a little surprising that there's not a single N gauge item of stock, not even a re-livery.

I have to agree with that, I honestly thought when they started the video with a look at the GBRf 60002 and marking Graham Farish 50th anniversary there was going to be something major in N gauge coming, but I cannot see anything other than a few buildings. Perhaps the tribute should have been left till next quarter to tie in with (hopefully) something new for N gauge. Would be nice to see a newly tooled model sneak out.

To all OO gaugers moaning at the prices, come down to N gauge and you can't moan at prices if there is no price to moan at ;)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I am somewhat surprised to see another go at the Class 24/0. There are plenty of other diesels in Bachmann's tooling suite that are older and would benefit from an upgrade - Classes 42, early 47 and 55 in particular. The current 24/0, while not up to SLW standards, is perfectly acceptable, especially at its lower price point. Yes there are new 47s and 55s coming from Heljan and Accurascale, but Bachmann rightly doesn't seem averse to competing with new models from other manufacturers.

SLW will produce 24s in lower volumes than Accurascale or Heljan, and as SLW have moved to the 24/1 and the 25 then there is a gap again for a 24/0.

Who knows what may come at the next announcement when it comes to a 47 or 55, Bachmann play their cards close to their chest these days.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As ever complaints about RRP are utterly pointless - the manufacturer will charge what it costs to bring the product to market plus a margin for profit. The market decides whether it wants to pay that price and the product will either fly off the shelves or hang around and get discounted a couple of years down the road. It is that simple.

I wont pretend to know anything about manufacturing costs or exchange rates but one factor I think may well influence prices is the size of the potential market. I'm not sure it is as big as it was 20 years ago for two reasons:- Firstly, many of us have been in this for a while and so are essentially 'stocked up' - thus the dilemma for the manufacturer in finding a prototype that will find a reasonable market and secondly, more poignantly, 'attrition' - none of us are getting any younger and this pandemic has attacked the main customer demographic disproportionally.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

As ever complaints about RRP are utterly pointless - the manufacturer will charge what it costs to bring the product to market plus a margin for profit. The market decides whether it wants to pay that price and the product will either fly off the shelves or hang around and get discounted a couple of years down the road. It is that simple.

That's it; nothing else needs to be said and I'll just dump any further pointless comments on such.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

For any n gauge modeller this must come as the most dispiriting and anti-climatic announcement from Bachmann so far. Not even a new livery for a wagon. Even if a new model (or new livery) is produced that is of no interest to me it still creates confidence. Producing more ready to plant buildings is unlikely to stimulate this market sector.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Not moaning but just wondering if Graham Farish is going to quietly disappear over the next few years. It’s all about getting a return on investment and maybe the British N gauge market is just too small for it to make business sense for Bachmann to invest in it.

The last two announcements are certainly sad for us N gaugers. 

Edited by Chris M
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Why? They will probably sell many times more than the "rival" model which you can't even buy as they are never in stock.....

I was after a 24081. Never seen one. Where are they all? Oh they made a limited run of about 10 which were all sold to "friends". Yes, I'm slightly exaggerating, but with the other manufacturer it's like you need to know the secret knock in order to get things.

So as good as it may be, I'll now buy a Bachmann version in BR Blue as at least you can buy them!

Jason

Not sure why you comment on secret knocks, was hardly hard to purchase when announced and was widely advertised...

Roy

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

59 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I spend less with Bachmann than I do with any other mainstream OO manufacturer.

That maybe the case for you but the majority of RTr stuff I own is Bachmann because it produces the stuff that cover my period and area.

Just goes to show you can’t be all things to all men :dontknow:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Chris M said:

Not moaning but just wondering if Graham Farish is going to quietly disappear over the next few years. It’s all about getting a return on investment and maybe the British N gauge market is just too small for it to make business sense for Bachmann to invest in it.

Surprised to hear you say that, being a hardened N modeller.

We've just had some more 40s, there were the 31s at Christmas and I am sure there will be a Peak sometime - maybe they are saving stuff for Warley (if it is allowed to proceed, fingers crossed).  There isn't a great deal new here, but whatever is in the pipeline and already shared is still coming, these are just the new announcements.

I don't think all is lost, they wouldn't have bothered with buildings if they weren't going to bother with stock.

• Like 1