Bachmann Summer 2021 - New products - New 24/0

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TomE said:

This is only the second set of announcements this year, with two more yet to come. It shouldn't be a surprise that not every 3 month period will feature N Gauge products given the smaller market. Add to that the considerable backlog of N Gauge products previously announced and I really can't understand why people start predicting the end is nigh for the Farish brand, or even the end of British N Gauge. 

I stumbled across a useful little site at the start of this year that shows just how much is actually going on in N Gauge at the moment: www.ngaugenews.com

More than most would give it credit for I suspect!

Tom. 

I don't disagree that other manufactures are still making progress but when you look further back for new announcements from Bachmann concerning rolling stock for n gauge the picture is bleak. 

Summer 2021 

Nothing

Spring 2021

1x new loco livery (class 66)

1x new coach livery

2x new wagon liveries

Winter 2020

6x new loco livery (all class 31 - all sound fitted).

Autumn 2020

3x coach new liveries (2 of these were a single pack).

Summer 2020

Nothing

Spring 2020

Nothing

What I do acknowledge is that during this time there have been some other items arrived but these were all previously announced. 

Polite doesn't mean they are a pushover, it just means they don't put their Marketing manager up on TV spouting that a particular item is theirs, or doing some odd model announcement just before a competitor does theirs.

The issue with Hattons was most likely a terms of contract matter, the matter being Hattons were wholesaling their own product as well as retailing items made by another manufacturer i.e. they became more than a shop that commissioned models.  But back to politeness, there was an issue, Hattons and Bachmann went their seperate ways in a businesslike polite manner, no bad mouthing or story telling.

They are not a pushover, the EFE set up shows they are prepared to make structural changes to ensure their future, and the 24/0 retool is another example of their continued engagement with RTR trains.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, davidw said:

I think it's been mentioned earlier in the thread - the continued lack of maroon Thompsons is a startling omission. 

Perhaps the earlier releases haven't sold well - I'd have thought maroon would have been more popular than earlier liveries 

Agree its a strange omission - especially with the V2 (maybe) imminent. But then they did the same with the Portholes - we seemed to wait an age after the B&C versions for the maroon. Again, a rerun of the portholes in maroon would be welcome, especially the 3rd class variants. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Kris said:

I don't disagree that other manufactures are still making progress but when you look further back for new announcements from Bachmann concerning rolling stock for n gauge the picture is bleak. 

Summer 2021 

Nothing

Spring 2021

1x new loco livery (class 66)

1x new coach livery

2x new wagon liveries

Winter 2020

6x new loco livery (all class 31 - all sound fitted).

Autumn 2020

3x coach new liveries (2 of these were a single pack).

Summer 2020

Nothing

Spring 2020

Nothing

What I do acknowledge is that during this time there have been some other items arrived but these were all previously announced. 

True, but Bachmann have been quite open about the fact they over announced in N Gauge prior to 2020 and they are still playing catchup. 

We've just had the following:

8F

Class 31

There are still the following new tool locomotives to come:

Class 450
Class 319
Class 158

And being retooled for sound:

Class 14
Class 60
Std 5
N Class

Plus various other re-liveries from pre 2020. 

Bachmann are never going to be churning out new tool N Gauge locomotives at the same rate they were back in the heady days of 2007, but this notion that just because they don't announce a new tool model every time they make an announcement means they are pulling out of N Gauge is ridiculous. 

Tom. 

• Agree 5

I was surprised to note that the two green Class 24s are both ER allocated examples.

Not being too knowledgeable on such matter, is there any reason why they could not be renumbered as LMR D5084 - D5093? Were there detail differences - for instance, was the silver grille livery variation of D5094 a Finsbury Park feature?

Thanks in anticipation for any input.

John Isherwood.

6 minutes ago, TomE said:

this notion that just because they don't announce a new tool model every time they make an announcement means they are pulling out of N Gauge is ridiculous.

Every hobby I participate in is always “dieing” according to certain participants.

This is despite they fact that usually the hobbies have increased participation compared to previous years and the range of products and companies supplying into them has increased.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

I’m never one to join the doom and gloom ‘nothing in it for me’ crowd, but given the paucity of new announcements in N gauge from Bachmann lately (lots of new releases still on their way however), you would have thought someone at Barwell would have questioned making an N gauge lavatory block the key release for this quarter as it might not be sending the best of messages...

David

I did chuckle myself at the same thing, but who put it first Bachmann or @AY Mod

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Surprised no ones commented on the Bachmann Collectors club model yet....

Rather nice looking pair of LUL class 20s... 

A bit of Sherlocks might find Betjeman

:D

Separate thread for them.

Moriarty.

Edited by Steamport Southport

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I did chuckle myself at the same thing, but who put it first Bachmann or @AY Mod

I just did them in catalogue number order! 

17 minutes ago, TomE said:

Bachmann are never going to be churning out new tool N Gauge locomotives at the same rate they were back in the heady days of 2007, but this notion that just because they don't announce a new tool model every time they make an announcement means they are pulling out of N Gauge is ridiculous. 

Tom. 

I still want to hear a Peak announcement though :D

• RMweb Premium

The Cadbury steel hopper wagon is quite entertaining - especially described as a 24 ton ore hopper (cocoa ore direct from the Lincolnshire chocolate mines?) - but labelled 12 tons per the reference photo! The Chas Roberts builder's plate is nicely printed, though. 

Is the top half the old Mainline moulding? If so, hasn't it already done the rounds in Cadbury liveries, both yellow lettering on blue and blue lettering on yellow, the latter possibly via Dapol? A quick google only turns up prototype photos with (supposedly) yellow lettering on blue...

just had this from the horse's mouth and more encouraging for Farish hopes

I can also assure you that if you get asked and I am sure you will, Graham Farish has not been forgotten just wait until the Autumn launch, rest assured we have some very exciting models en route.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, osbornsmodels said:

just had this from the horse's mouth and more encouraging for Farish hopes

I can also assure you that if you get asked and I am sure you will, Graham Farish has not been forgotten just wait until the Autumn launch, rest assured we have some very exciting models en route.

As long as that isn't a set of outside loos to go with terraced houses...:jester:

• Funny 3

32 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I was surprised to note that the two green Class 24s are both ER allocated examples.

Not being too knowledgeable on such matter, is there any reason why they could not be renumbered as LMR D5084 - D5093? Were there detail differences - for instance, was the silver grille livery variation of D5094 a Finsbury Park feature?

Thanks in anticipation for any input.

John Isherwood.

The grey grille treatment was a Darlington Works feature John.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Clagsniffer said:

If “moaning” about prices is not allowed, then what about the comments by people moaning about the people moaning? If it causes so many headaches why not just post the announcements and then lock the thread.

Don't go painting a target on your back please; they're difficult to wash off.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Add to that the considerable backlog of N Gauge products previously announced and I really can't understand why people start predicting the end is nigh for the Farish brand, or even the end of British N Gauge. 

Tom. 

My point about Farish quietly fading away is about really about the realities of running a business. Kadar has to decide what projects will go to the tooling next. There will always be a queue of project proposals from around the world queuing for a slot in tooling manufacture. Making tooling is expensive and I am going to guess that the skilled toolmakers are a fairly scarce resource. Any business must prioritise investment in the projects that are most likely to provide the best return on investment otherwise they will

go bust. The problem for British N gauge is that with small volumes it is likely to be very difficult for any project to get to the top of the best return on investment queue. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Or that the mythical manufacturer comes riding over the horizon who can produce the models at a quality to satisfy everyone and a bargain price. This is what the free market promises us.

People have been predicting the end of the hobby due to price since at least 1946 as you can see from this letter. 

I don't disagree, but I would love to see some graphs of cost of  v wages over the period 1939 or 1946  until now.

If I am honest, I do not know what it would show, but I think it would be very interesting.

Edit: I still buy a significant amount and happily do so.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The Cadbury steel hopper wagon is quite entertaining - especially described as a 24 ton ore hopper (cocoa ore direct from the Lincolnshire chocolate mines?) - but labelled 12 tons per the reference photo! The Chas Roberts builder's plate is nicely printed, though. 

Is the top half the old Mainline moulding? If so, hasn't it already done the rounds in Cadbury liveries, both yellow lettering on blue and blue lettering on yellow, the latter possibly via Dapol? A quick google only turns up prototype photos with (supposedly) yellow lettering on blue...

Blue and yellow by Mainline.

http://www.mainlinerailways.org.uk/wagons.htm

Jason

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

The grey grille treatment was a Darlington Works feature John.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Can I assume that, beyond this livery variation, the early LMR allocated 24s matched the the new Bachmann model?

John Isherwood.

3 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Got excited at the mention of new 009 coaches, but looks like they're just the Liliput HOe Austrian coaches with a 'faux British' livery.

Feels very much like a case of "We have to announce something in 009, what can we fudge?"

I thought they looked a bit 'Germanic'. 

Would have considered a few, if it were not for the ill fitting windows. 

17 minutes ago, Chris M said:

My point about Farish quietly fading away is about really about the realities of running a business. Kadar has to decide what projects will go to the tooling next. There will always be a queue of project proposals from around the world queuing for a slot in tooling manufacture. Making tooling is expensive and I am going to guess that the skilled toolmakers are a fairly scarce resource. Any business must prioritise investment in the projects that are most likely to provide the best return on investment otherwise they will

go bust. The problem for British N gauge is that with small volumes it is likely to be very difficult for any project to get to the top of the best return on investment queue. 

But what is produced sells, so the price/quantity which has to have passed profit tests with Kader must be OK.

I had to hunt high and low to find a 25225 recently, found one in Scotland mislabeled as Hornby so it didn't appear in general Farish searches, I was looking for the specific product so it appeared.  There don't appear to be many banger blue 31s about now and the only 40s in town are the recent releases with some of those now low in numbers.  I think it is similar with steam, so that is healthy too.

19 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I suspect that you are correct, but the thing is Farish still haven't released items (or even given an ETA) that they announced two and a half years ago that were simply reliveries of existing items. It seems to be an issue of the priority of productions slots as well the tooling itself.

• Agree 1