Bachmann Summer 2021 - New products - New 24/0

AY Mod

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Some interesting other observations as well - detailed interior you just cannot see for example.

That made me wonder if wherever the grills were going to be flush brass so you could see some of the detail inside at some point and then decided no so reverted to keeping the grills the same material as the rest of the body

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Some interesting other observations as well - detailed interior you just cannot see for example.

Presumably because when this chassis is used for the forthcoming class 25s parts of it will be seen through the side windows. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2021 at 23:35, Jim76 said:

Are these HO scale or really OO scale?

They will be the OO ones just rebranded as HO for the American market.  Much like they have done with the Thomas The Tank engine range Bachmann sell in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Really impressed with the sound project on these - very responsive to the controller and the brake effect is brilliant. Some have said the speaker is too small but I've upped the volume (F28) and to my mind its more than adequate for my attic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

According to the Bachmann website the LMS compound, the remaining class 24s, a couple of the wagons and the Intercity MK2F carriages have arrived.

Ahh that looks like the first of my orders then . Good news  as I feared it was on same container as 812 and Precedent which are delayed . Thanks for info 

Having ordered 24035, this prompted me to start on my green D5038. The first thing I do is look for an alternative ID, so trawling photo sites and books narrowed it down to D5031 in economy green and SYE. The stripe and numbers came off very easily, a blunt wood kebab skewer did the trick without leaving a single mark. Next I need to tackle the exhaust, fill/blank out the circular one and drill out an opening and file to a letterbox shape plus add the edging, tomorrows job. I have no clear picture of the exhaust but this one looks to show a letterbox exhaust.

71 196 110771 Chester No 5 D5031 and D5081

D5031 will join D5096/099(SLW plus24081), D5149 in green with SYE, 5170 in blue, waitng in the wings is another 24137 to do 5146. 

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 7

My 24035 arrived this morning, a couple of very quick observations. Bachmann have not painted the various detail bits below the underframe as per 24137. I also note that all the buffer beam detail is now in the bag for the buyer to attach, both of my 24/1 variants had some details preinstalled. Non of this is any anyway a bad thing, my 035 runs very well and is a near match for all my other Bachmann current issue class 24's, making double heading easier to programme on DCC. 

My intention is to do a chassis swap with 24137, yes the lighting circuit boards for the discs/headcode will need swapping over as well. This will allow me to create a 25/0, my second. The fuel tank is correct for the final 10 of the 25/0's. I have already done on example, 5170.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, w124bob said:

My 24035 arrived this morning, a couple of very quick observations. Bachmann have not painted the various detail bits below the underframe as per 24137. I also note that all the buffer beam detail is now in the bag for the buyer to attach, both of my 24/1 variants had some details preinstalled. Non of this is any anyway a bad thing, my 035 runs very well and is a near match for all my other Bachmann current issue class 24's, making double heading easier to programme on DCC. 

My intention is to do a chassis swap with 24137, yes the lighting circuit boards for the discs/headcode will need swapping over as well. This will allow me to create a 25/0, my second. The fuel tank is correct for the final 10 of the 25/0's. I have already done on example, 5170.

Neither of my pair of 24’s, D5094 and D5149 came with any of the buffer beam details fitted. 

Really quite pleased with these. We're going to see 97201 on exhibition layouts everywhere soon enough so I won't overdose on that one, and we've had some nice comparison shots between the new model and the sublime SLW model.

How about something in a similar vein, but the old and new Bachmann models...I must admit to liking the old Bachmann 24 (24/1 in this case with 24077) but when you look at all of the detail variation you can see just how well justified a complete retool is.

1461586733_class24pic1.jpg.2f5075d2d674b699b21b70a256acbc56.jpg

2117875666_class24pic2.jpg.aa0eed53a45dae604e715444c9196cd6.jpg

1017804901_class24roof.jpg.178fe792946c77292d11df3a86524e92.jpg

365881271_class24fonts.jpg.1f2dd5a170a85b427b338a633b4e8d2d.jpg

224436015_Class24.jpg.bcaac9e9e64782d3ba0bfc456de24565.jpg

Guilty admission time, I still quite like the overall appearance of the old model. I know it is wrong in most aspects, and only made more obvious when parked up surrounded by the new guard. But its still a characterful little thing, and after purging all of the old models from my fleet I think I'll hang on to this last one.

The sound project on the new model is quite impressive, and that speaker has surprised me somewhat on turning the volume up a tad on F28. I will still switch one of them out for a more bass unit though for a comparison, but after some quite poor speakers in other recent models this one makes a nice change. Very impressed overall with the skinhead 24s, every bit as good as the headcode box 24/1s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Pleased for everyone who was able to attend that they had the chance to get some decent bargains. I had hoped to go, but was just too knackered after our exhibition yesterday :(

Personally I have got the message loud and clear re: announcements, were we to have seen any N related TINGS would have been the place. Incidentally when is the next quarterly announcement set for? Not saying I will dial into it, just curious.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, so this might be a daft question; please bear with me if it is.  Was there a 3-month announcement in August that I missed?  Not that I'm in a screaming rush for anything and I doubt that there will be anything new now the 47s has been announced, which looks like a welcome change in policy from Blue Box to reduce apparent lead times, on which I have pontificated enough and will not say more now.