Bachmann Summer 2021 - New products - New 24/0

AY Mod

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

I'm just wondering how nice it would be for SLW to diversify a little, and add another, larger Sulzer-engined diesel ... the Class 47 ...

Al.

I honestly can't imagine that SLW would produce a 47 any time soon if at all , natural progression would suggest that after a plethora of 24's and 25's they would more than likely move onto 26's/27's and 33's , in fact , after the issues Philip Sutton faced with Heljan in the past I'm surprised he didn't produce the 33 first

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I was just wondering whether Bachmann would do a Class 24 RTC again and it appears they read my mind.  The SLW model is excellent but I find all those fine extra details fall off, or are easily damaged; consequently don't run it as mich as I should.

Also it is difficult to modify or scratch build rolling stock for the tribometer train at the same level of detail to match the SLW model. Bachmann seems to strike the right balance for detail, quality and durability - prices are rising but the 2nd hand marketplace is competitive.

• Like 4

All the talk about the 24/0 and SLW - to be honest, I'm probably going to end up with a mixed bag of new Bachmann, SLW and Heljan 24s and 25s, they are all comparable price wise, probably slightly more choice of options with the Bachmann/Heljan range than SLW (he's not got a non-Scottish 24 in his sales range at the moment although that will no doubt be remedied) but the quality and in particular the sound options for SLW are outstanding.  As you can never have too many Rats in the Black Country, I'm happy to pick and mix as finances allow.

If anything, the SLW - Heljan - Bachmann competition has grown the market for me and isn't a case of wasteful duplication.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, wombatofludham said:

All the talk about the 24/0 and SLW - to be honest, I'm probably going to end up with a mixed bag of new Bachmann, SLW and Heljan 24s and 25s, they are all comparable price wise, probably slightly more choice of options with the Bachmann/Heljan range than SLW (he's not got a non-Scottish 24 in his sales range at the moment although that will no doubt be remedied) but the quality and in particular the sound options for SLW are outstanding.  As you can never have too many Rats in the Black Country, I'm happy to pick and mix as finances allow.

I know what you mean, but I'm in N I had two 24s and one 25 for my Northwest based layout and I had to hunt hard to find another new 25, but managed to find one hidden in Scotland.  Rat infestations are so important on the Midland.

image.png.f3e6808d4e327e28e489b5ee567aec48.png

Not sure if the chimney here is a Fowler or Stanier, A crimson Compound is much more likely to have a Fowler chimney, I can't remember ever seeing a photo of one with a Stanier.

I like the green 24/0

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Not sure if the chimney here is a Fowler or Stanier, A crimson Compound is much more likely to have a Fowler chimney, I can't remember ever seeing a photo of one with a Stanier.

Already covered in the topic on Page 6 - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/164395-bachmann-summer-2021-new-products-new-240/&do=findComment&comment=4428749

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/05/2021 at 21:57, Steamport Southport said:

Yes. Photo of the same loco available from Colour Rail at Crewe in that condition dated 1937 (I think). Even in colour.

And this photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/51017448392/

Jason

Thanks to AY Mod

The chimney in this photo seems to me to be a Fowler, not Stanier. 

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Thanks to AY Mod

The chimney in this photo seems to me to be a Fowler, not Stanier. 

The chimney on the Bachmann image above is not the same as the chimney in the b/w photo of 1119 linked to the comment on page 6. The chimney on the Bachmann/NRM model of No. 1000 is different again. My understanding is that the b/w picture shows a short Fowler chimney, as fitted to 1065 onwards, to allow them to work in Scotland (according to Fowler Locomotives, by Brian Haresnape), the Bachmann model of 1119 is wearing a Stanier chimney.

Edited by Flittersnoop
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Flittersnoop said:

The chimney on the Bachmann image above is not the same as the chimney in the b/w photo of 1119 linked to the comment on page 6. The chimney on the Bachmann/NRM model of No. 1000 is different again. My understanding is that the b/w picture shows a short Fowler chimney, as fitted to 1065 onwards, to allow them to work in Scotland (according to Fowler Locomotives, by Brian Haresnape), the Bachmann model of 1119 is wearing a Stanier chimney.

Absolutely right!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/05/2021 at 21:58, Flying Pig said:

There are circumstances where a toilet block is by far the most welcome announcement.

Unpleasant thoughts of line blockages come to mind 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 05/05/2021 at 12:45, Clagsniffer said:

If “moaning” about prices is not allowed, then what about the comments by people moaning about the people moaning? If it causes so many headaches why not just post the announcements and then lock the thread.

Then you have the people moaning about the people moaning about the people moaning. Does that put me in the category of the people moaning about the people moaning about the people moaning about the people moaning? Hmm this could get messy pretty quickly.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 05/05/2021 at 10:21, atom3624 said:

Lots of information - thank you.

I notice the V2 cab pony truck has non-flanged wheels aka Hornby, instead of the previous floating flanged wheel set-up of Bachmann.

Al.

Good grief! That’s a bit awful.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 10:25, woodenhead said:

Sonic perhaps is another interesting potential, but one loco so far which still hasn't hit the shelves, another baking in the oven and then what?  If it is a one item at a time enterprise, it will never be more than another RevolutioN in scale.

Something people need to do is have patience for the new entrants into the market.

Given how expensive tooling is it takes time to build up a new companies cash flow to the point where they can start to fund multiple items at once and consider expanding the staff.

Rapido was founded around 2005, and the first 10 years were slow with few products - yet they survived long enough and have grown enough that they are now tooling say 15+ items a year in the North American market and have made a move into the UK market with 3 rail products plus however many items in the Titfield collection.

So give the Revolution, Sonic, and others plus anyone else who comes along time to build their businesses (if that is what they want).

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, mdvle said:

Given how expensive tooling is it takes time to build up a new companies cash flow to the point where they can start to fund multiple items at once and consider expanding the staff.

Not only that, but it is by no means guaranteed that the initial releases will generate the requisite profits; it’s not just cash flow.  You can have the biggest cash flow in the world, but if you don’t make profit, there is nothing to capitalise new projects, or ultimately even to continue with the existing one(s), and nobody will lend you the money either, given that you have already proven yourself incapable of being profitable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, mdvle said:

Something people need to do is have patience for the new entrants into the market.

Rapido was founded around 2005, and the first 10 years were slow with few products - yet they survived long enough and have grown enough that they are now tooling say 15+ items a year in the North American market and have made a move into the UK market with 3 rail products plus however many items in the Titfield collection.

So give the Revolution, Sonic, and others plus anyone else who comes along time to build their businesses (if that is what they want).

12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Not only that, but it is by no means guaranteed that the initial releases will generate the requisite profits; it’s not just cash flow.  You can have the biggest cash flow in the world, but if you don’t make profit, there is nothing to capitalise new projects, or ultimately even to continue with the existing one(s), and nobody will lend you the money either, given that you have already proven yourself incapable of being profitable. 

Quite right. 

We all remember a certain guy who told us his business was based on him pumping everything into his first model, then then the profits from that paying for the second etc etc. 

Look how well that business turned out, although perhaps the individual should probably have been considerably wiser anyway. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I wonder if he is, even now. There is self-belief, and there is....

It was always someone else's fault

He made the classic mistake for new start ups of failing to appreciate the need for working capital. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I wonder if he is, even now. There is self-belief, and there is....

On a business trip to China in his private jet, probably. 

3 hours ago, Legend said:

It was always someone else's fault

He made the classic mistake for new start ups of failing to appreciate the need for working capital. 

His character was almost a self fullfilling prophesy of business failure.  He thought he had a good idea and could undercut and outperform the larger RTR concerns, and when reality intruded on the Master Plan, became paranoid and blamed the competition.  In business, it is never, ever, the competitions' fault, the blame always lies much closer to home.  If you can't stand the heat...

Undercapitalisation is always going to be an issue for startups; nobody is going to lend you money until you've proved you can turn a profit and pay it back with dividends or interest, and you can't prove this until somebody's lent you the money.  Startup capital is much easier to access than working capital until you have built credibility, which is why a majority of startups fail within the first two years.

Money does not actually exist, and can therefore vanish irreplaceably without trace as easily as it can be conjured out of thin air by the successful operation of a profitable business.  Success, however, cannot be conjured out of thin air, while failure is difficult not to conjure out of thin air.  This is why, in a capitalist economy, we are happy to allow businesses to make fair profits as a reward for their success.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

On a business trip to China in his private jet, probably. 

His character was almost a self fullfilling prophesy of business failure.  He thought he had a good idea and could undercut and outperform the larger RTR concerns, and when reality intruded on the Master Plan, became paranoid and blamed the competition.  In business, it is never, ever, the competitions' fault, the blame always lies much closer to home.  If you can't stand the heat...

Undercapitalisation is always going to be an issue for startups; nobody is going to lend you money until you've proved you can turn a profit and pay it back with dividends or interest, and you can't prove this until somebody's lent you the money.  Startup capital is much easier to access than working capital until you have built credibility, which is why a majority of startups fail within the first two years.

Money does not actually exist, and can therefore vanish irreplaceably without trace as easily as it can be conjured out of thin air by the successful operation of a profitable business.  Success, however, cannot be conjured out of thin air, while failure is difficult not to conjure out of thin air.  This is why, in a capitalist economy, we are happy to allow businesses to make fair profits as a reward for their success.

For the first time since I graduated from Uni I feel like I’ve just sat through a lecture.......!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

For the first time since I graduated from Uni I feel like I’ve just sat through a lecture.......!

Did you nod off too ?

I never wanted an APT , but even the alarm bells were ringing for me with that chancer. I wonder if anyone’s paid him a visit ?!

On 05/05/2021 at 10:21, atom3624 said:

Lots of information - thank you.

I notice the V2 cab pony truck has non-flanged wheels aka Hornby, instead of the previous floating flanged wheel set-up of Bachmann.

Al.

Well observed. Bachmann has just confirmed to me that the trailing wheels will be flangeless. What is the world coming to? I was rather looking forward to the new V2 but I would want, if not perfection, a model to my taste. I shall depend on my old V2s. It won’t be difficult to find something else to splurge my money on. :cry: Now that I’ve blown my nose, that Compound looks rather juicy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Well observed. Bachmann has just confirmed to me that the trailing wheels will be flangeless. What is the world coming to? I was rather looking forward to the new V2 but I would want, if not perfection, a model to my taste. I shall depend on my old V2s. It won’t be difficult to find something else to splurge my money on. :cry: Now that I’ve blown my nose, that Compound looks rather juicy.

Has the last most recent version with the new chassis got a flangeless pony? It does seem a retrograde move.  I'm also 50:50 on the valve gear - real V2's look like 'fliers' and have the grace of Gresleys best work whereas Bachmanns model looks strangely leaden which I think is optical effect of the valve gear being slightly overscale. I'm really up for a decent V2 though - proof of the pudding will be seeing it in a dealers cabinet (Hornby please note - I wont buy what I can't see first :))