Bachmann Collectors' Club - London Transport Class 20s

AY Mod

On 05/05/2021 at 10:36, wainwright1 said:

Very nice, although I could not afford the sound versions.

Will have a look at the London Transport Museum site for the non sound ones.

I have an original Lima model of Sir John Betjeman, although I think in a Metropolitan livery, obviously nowhere as good as these two.

All the best

Ray

179£ on sale now

On 05/05/2021 at 10:54, The Black Hat said:

I suspect your right, but then it might add to the whole saga of Bachmann class 20s and lights... seems a pity for the model to look so good but then miss that final detail and for the prestige of the Collectors Club and the price they will be set at some will think they should have done it. 

They did special tooling for the light on 37099 didn't they?

16 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Or the current London Transport livery, along with Florence Nightingale the LMS Inspection Saloon.

That would be great!

LT45029 is the same type and number as the EWS one Bachmann released previously (P/N: 39-778)... so it's just a question of whether another run of a 4-TC's is likely.

I guess I now have to say "...or all three!"?! :) 

Ref the London Transport Museum variants (non sound), as these are pre-orders, if i order now when will payment be taken off my card?  Instantly or when the models arrive and are despatched (ie July time)?

Hopefully payment isnt taken instantly.  Anyone confirm?

Edited by MRGREWCOCK

13 minutes ago, MRGREWCOCK said:

As these are pre-orders, if i order now when will payment be taken off my card?  Instantly or when the models arrive and are despatched (ie July time)?

Which version are you talking about, the standard version from the London Transport Museum or the sound fitted version from the Bachmann Collectors Cub?

Edited by Paul.Uni

12 hours ago, MRGREWCOCK said:

Ref the London Transport Museum variants (non sound), as these are pre-orders, if i order now when will payment be taken off my card?  Instantly or when the models arrive and are despatched (ie July time)?

It is instantly unfortunately! But as I said above you can use a 10% discount code by signing up to their newsletter which saves £18 bringing down to £162.

You might have some more time though - their other Bachmann models like the Pannier and 1938 stock have been listed there for a while, suggesting that they have good amounts of stock? I remember the Bo-Bo being up there for ages too.

Edited by drt7uk

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

How often do these run together? Most of the pics I can find they are on their own.

The only times that the pair have been together have been a railtour in 2018 along the Met to Quainton Road and a North Norfolk Railway Diesel Gala.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Paul.Uni said:

The only times that the pair have been together have been a railtour in 2018 along the Met to Quainton Road and a North Norfolk Railway Diesel Gala.

Thanks, good to know that they don't "have" to be bought as a pair!

2 hours ago, drt7uk said:

It is instantly unfortunately! But as I said above you can use a 10% discount code by signing up to their newsletter which saves £18 bringing down to £162.

You might have some more time though - their other Bachmann models like the Pannier and 1938 stock have been listed there for a while, suggesting that they have good amounts of stock? I remember the Bo-Bo being up there for ages too.

They don't have 1938 stock, it has not been manufactured yet.

Ray

54 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

They don't have 1938 stock, it has not been manufactured yet.

Ray

drt7uk may well be referring to the non-motorised pre-efe 38 tube stock. These were stocked by the museum shop and featured in their sales from time to time.

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

drt7uk may well be referring to the non-motorised pre-efe 38 tube stock. These were stocked by the museum shop and featured in their sales from time to time.

The only 1938 stock on the LTM shop website is the preorder for the motorised EFE Rail pack.

Edited by Paul.Uni

I asked about the roof detail on 20142 being added (as its present on the 20/3 tool) and wether 20227 would have the nose end headlight as its in the standard position.

this is the seemingly copy & paste response i recieved. Urgh.

but yeah seems that what you can see in the pics is what you will get.

its a shame that they arent tooling for headlights ect on such a new model but i giess im just glad they are being produced. 

7C50CD69-CD6A-45DC-BD24-D068ADA1AC9E.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

I asked about the roof detail on 20142 being added (as its present on the 20/3 tool) and wether 20227 would have the nose end headlight as its in the standard position.

this is the seemingly copy & paste response i recieved. Urgh.

but yeah seems that what you can see in the pics is what you will get.

its a shame that they arent tooling for headlights ect on such a new model but i giess im just glad they are being produced. 

That is the quandary we face when a model we really want comes along with imperfections spotted before they arrive. Buy it, they didn't need to go to the trouble of doing it right, don't buy it and you miss out on a near approximation of what you originally wanted, but if enough people do the same a point might be made.

I would have had some 20/3s had they done the lighting right (it winds me up watching my Bachmann 66s go around with mediocre lighting) but I didn't want them enough to spend £150+ each on a "nearly right". Looks like the same will happen here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it's one of those circumstances where if the detail omissions bothered you, is the sum of the leftover parts still useable before making the purchase decision!

The lining on the sides appears very intricate, and is likely a higher quality finish than I myself could do with a home repaint (nightmare visions come back of me first tackling lining during a repaint of Lima GWR 60081 back in late year 2000 :lol:) - so I'd think, 'can I install the roof & light mods and do a patch repaint while keeping the good bits intact?', and if it's a yes then that'd influence my decision there! 

Cheers,

James 

• Like 1

Yeah spot on James, i myself will likely fit some replica railways headlight mouldings and look into the roof detail but they wont put me off buying them.

as someone who has painted one, the lining is a nightmare, even with transfers.

also disassembly of the handrails ect is a pain too and leaves you with broken bits.

bachmanns paint finish is always spot on though so theyll look amazing 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Yeah spot on James, i myself will likely fit some replica railways headlight mouldings and look into the roof detail but they wont put me off buying them.

as someone who has painted one, the lining is a nightmare, even with transfers.

also disassembly of the handrails ect is a pain too and leaves you with broken bits.

bachmanns paint finish is always spot on though so theyll look amazing 

I think that the replica railways headlight is a great example and then I'm sure extreme etchings or similar will come up with the roof pods, not to forget an Led can probably be added to the RR headlight moulding to make it functional for those who want it to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Makin said:

I think it's one of those circumstances where if the detail omissions bothered you, is the sum of the leftover parts still useable before making the purchase decision!

Yes, there is that, but at £180 I don't feel I should be altering the model for what are pretty simple detail errors/omissions.

Especially given they have in the past made such changes (I am pretty sure the model of 37099 has a unique front end for the EXACT reason we are talking about)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

One assumes then that there is no nose end tooling with a high intensity headlight in the correct place(s), such as fitted to the class 20/0 examples still running around on the network, which is going to be forthcoming in the future - otherwise they would have done so already for these particular LT models (or could have delayed doing the LT models until the correct tooling was ready).

From that it would follow that Bachmann probably do not intend to offer more models of the most recent liveries of class 20/0 (not accurate ones anyway) and we will just have to hope Accurascale or SLW can produce them sometime in the future.

Perhaps Bachmann already know something we don’t.. although it did not stop them producing the recent class 24/25 variants in the face of the forthcoming competition from Heljan and SLW.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very satisfied owner of a Bachmann 20/3 already and would/will probably get another one in the future. However I will be taking a much closer look at future Bachmann releases prior to purchase than I might have done in the past rather than trusting them to get the prominent details of the prototype correct (as they did with the noses on 37099).

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Typo
  • Like 1