Moving sound effect to F8 Mute

philsandy

I'm in the process of programming all my locos to have same sound effect at the same F key, hence all the recent questions regarding moving sounds.

I have 3 or 4 locos  (all ESU V4 decoders) where the F8 key mutes the volume, and I want this key for Coupling  effect. The three CV's for the F8 key 478, 479 & 480 all read 0. How do I disable the mute function from F8?

You appear to be making a number of errors in the way the question is asked 

1  -  ESU use Indexed CVs for all CV's from 256 upwards.   Without knowing and setting the index values first (CV32 and CV31), the CV read might be anything random, and WILL NOT be what you're looking for.       

2 -   ESU's function mapping does NOT follow rigid rules.  Function 8 can be set in ANY of the 40 mapping lines of the Function Mapping, it is not necessarily in line 14 (which is what I think you're assuming by suggesting CV478-479-480).  Line 14 is the factory default position for Function 8, so many sound projects may use it.    To find all cases of Function 8's use in a specific decoder, there are 40 CV's to read to find the mapping line.  And then from there the CV's for that line.  

3 -   Index CV32=2, CV478/479/480 refers to sound slots on mapping Line 14.  The Mute feature is called "Sound Fader" in the ESU manuals and is part of "Logical Output" Control N , and for Line 14 is in Index CV32=2, CV477

For Function Mapping changes in an ESU decoder, I strongly recommend using a computer program.  Either DecoderPro and a connection to your DCC system, or a LokProgrammer device.   Use them to read in the complete Function Map (there are 640 CVs involved).  Both tools offer the same capabilities for function mapping changes.  

• Informative/Useful 1