Wagons of the filthy variety - A Problem

A couple of new ones. First, a 12t BR van (parkside) finished using the old acrylic over enamel method. The matt varnish has frosted the transfers a little here but just about OK. 

20210717_183707.jpg.59753efd5dad75f7becb84fcb8f5e600.jpg

A close up of the process here. The white spirit and acrylic leave a nice flakey, cracked paint effect. Areas where scratched away with a cocktail stick. 

20210717_183744.jpg.0c686622d86c1f73c2719c154feffef2.jpg

Below is a gwr 12t van, showing the weathered underframe using powders. The wheels are "painted" with a powders and decalfix mix. 

20210717_183513.jpg.1e3b5ceecc370476a5b19005e63dc435.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 months later...

Away from the wagon topic slightly, here are a couple of my latest efforts. It has been a while since I went near the models but was sifting through some photos and decided to share. 

20211011_211218.jpg.921464e9e4bc8f40b56da70f5a76c029.jpg

A lima upgrade finished with a humbrol matt varnish and carrs weathering powders. 

20211011_211038.jpg.4609910a797aaf2526b6523bbc7a78aa.jpg

And a van which was a slightly different approach to my norm. This involved priming with halfords red, dry brushed humbrol oranges, brown and reds and then another spray of halfords red then soaking of thinners and scratching with a cocktail stick to reveal the layers. 

20210718_092249.jpg.d15f47fff582bbe1e75a33b6575a7bb1.jpg

And finally an old pic of a van i finished using powders and humbrol decalfix. Finished with white pencil legends. 

20211210_000201.jpg.0fa53099aed4e248b3c78dad59856346.jpg

• Like 12

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Here is a recent "back to modelling" project. 

298304892_20221103_2127582.jpg.2076ecc68758491f9ce59d4069b920ff.jpg

A Parkside insulated van kit with etched brake gear items. 

The paint work and weathering involved the priming of the whole wagon in halfords red. Then, a light spray of an acrylic white (very cheap). Then some white spirit brush over the metal parts (bracing, van ends etc) and a cocktail stick used to gently scratch away the white paint, revaling the red primer which now hopefully reads as rusted metal showing through the paint. 

Next, a black wash into the grooves etc, wiped back with a cotton bud and turps.

I am experimenting with my airbrush and used mig washable black over to add dust etc. 

Quite happy but hope to get a bit more refined with the airbrush. 

• Like 12

On 04/11/2022 at 06:49, sb67 said:

Looks very grubby David 👍

The reference picture is very much worse! I felt if I went too far, it might not be believable. 

Im enjoying having the airbrush but it might now be getting a bit cold for it. 

Edited by westernviscount

I have been continuing to fiddle about with the airbrush. I have had my comet kits hawksworth hanging about for over a year, awaiting some grubbing up. I have to admit  having spent a good amount of time on building it, I was loath to weather it!

I think it is all the better for it though. 

20221111_221949.jpg.4f966b2c9181c3dc55b5cf078915e3e0.jpg

20221111_222011.jpg.8fc01fccf6474a4cd87aed9b5193820f.jpg

20221111_222001.jpg.04e358b062225a779cbb76f1f55f649e.jpg

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• westernviscount changed the title to Wagons of the filthy variety - A Problem

In the above images of the Hawkworth Bg there is a small amount of staining around the ends of each side (it looks damp). 

Since these photos, the "damp patch" has spread to a much bigger area. I am slightly confused as to why this is happening. I used Mig airbrushed acrylics. 

It is a brass kit, primed with halfords red primer, then railmatch colour rattle can , then humbrol acrylic matt varnish. It remained in this state for a year until I finally got round to weathering. The area is near soldered joints so I wonder if some flux or other contaminant has crept through? I thought I had cleaned it however. 

Any thoughts welcome. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, westernviscount said:

In the above images of the Hawkworth Bg there is a small amount of staining around the ends of each side (it looks damp). 

Since these photos, the "damp patch" has spread to a much bigger area. I am slightly confused as to why this is happening. I used Mig airbrushed acrylics. 

It is a brass kit, primed with halfords red primer, then railmatch colour rattle can , then humbrol acrylic matt varnish. It remained in this state for a year until I finally got round to weathering. The area is near soldered joints so I wonder if some flux or other contaminant has crept through? I thought I had cleaned it however. 

Any thoughts welcome. 

If it seems to be around a soldered joint I'd go with your flux theory.

Remember, cleanliness is not next to godliness, it's next to impossible.

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Logic suggests it must be solder/flux related but it looks more like the stain you sometimes see after weathering a RTR loco that has been enthusiastically lubricated at the factory leading to a tidemark....

Chris H

• Like 1

Thank you @Gilbert and @Enterprisingwestern. What to do next I wonder. Some white spirit perhaps to remove the weathered layer? I am surprised it didnt show on the blue paintwork but it may have seeped through the handle area over time. 

I had been nervous to weather it, being my first brass kit but I don't think all hope is lost. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

Thank you @Gilbert and @Enterprisingwestern. What to do next I wonder. Some white spirit perhaps to remove the weathered layer? I am surprised it didnt show on the blue paintwork but it may have seeped through the handle area over time. 

I had been nervous to weather it, being my first brass kit but I don't think all hope is lost. 

Without seeing the model close up my advice may be useless but....my first action would be to do nothing,  wait and see if it gets worse?

Did you build the kit in such a way you can see inside - does the underframe or roof come off - it may help diagnose the probem?

FWIW it does look nicely weathered and it might be that leaving it for a while may lead you to ignore it as trying to sort it may make things worse.....or alternatively wait as I suggest and see if it stabilises and decide if it can be disguised with - say - pigments or risk a bit more airbrushing. It may end up being something that does not look as bad to you over time if you leave it....

ATB

Chris

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Without seeing the model close up my advice may be useless but....my first action would be to do nothing,  wait and see if it gets worse?

Did you build the kit in such a way you can see inside - does the underframe or roof come off - it may help diagnose the probem?

FWIW it does look nicely weathered and it might be that leaving it for a while may lead you to ignore it as trying to sort it may make things worse.....or alternatively wait as I suggest and see if it stabilises and decide if it can be disguised with - say - pigments or risk a bit more airbrushing. It may end up being something that does not look as bad to you over time if you leave it....

ATB

Chris

Cheers Chris. Yes I can take a look inside and you are right, it may shed some light. 

Again, I think I agree that it is worth waiting for a bit. The patch is now a lot bigger and although initially I thought it didnt look bad it is now very distracting...20221116_190350.jpg.81773a6e97345a2f73fd66149f42e5fd.jpg

It is following the area of the weathering. 

I shall report back!!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

Cheers Chris. Yes I can take a look inside and you are right, it may shed some light. 

Again, I think I agree that it is worth waiting for a bit. The patch is now a lot bigger and although initially I thought it didnt look bad it is now very distracting...20221116_190350.jpg.81773a6e97345a2f73fd66149f42e5fd.jpg

I shall report back!!

I can only make sympathetic noises at this point...sorry..don't do anything quickly...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, westernviscount said:

I shall report back!!

That's a bit frustrating, I've never come across anything like that before, especially as you've not touched it until you started weathering. That said my first thought would be remove that bit of the weathering and if the paint below is ok, clean and degrease then put on another weathering coat. I'd gently remove it using downward strokes so any residual weathering would look like rain marks. 

Good luck.

• Agree 2

This phenomenon has been mentioned in respect of oil on RTR locos and I have had it happen on a kit built vehicle as well.  I'm usually fairly religious about washing kits after every soldering session and I have only had one occurrence, so maybe there is a connection.  

I left mine until it stopped spreading - which was over a year - then cleaned it off and reweathered.   I do the same with locos when it happens, though there I clean off regularly to reduce the amount of oil in play.   Personally on a vehicle like that I wouldn't think twice about patch painting, maybe with a cigarette paper patch stuck on to simulate a repair, although I appreciate that not everyone might want to do that.  

Cleaning it now might stop it spreading, but it might also make it hard to see whether it's still spreading, if that makes sense.  I'd leave well alone and see what happens, I think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have seen similar regarding oil (weeping through plastic rtr loco bodies) and also WD40 spreading from a dousing of gears in kit built locos.

What sort of flux did you use? Poweflow (or plumbers mate) is really hard to wash off

Put it away ( use it on the lauot) for as long as you can then recheck.if it is flux I would suggest the base coats may start to peel, if it is oil or grease, clean it up (some judicious use of washing up liquid my even work).

It took a good few years before the wd40 stopped spreading onthe loco in question.. it then gave the weathering a very realistic sheen so I left it alone.

Baz

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1