Cutting Peco O gauge track

Sorry, I DID do a search before posting.    I am on the verge of starting the build on a layout in the garage, in O gauge.

I've never worked with such bulky track.    Will a Xuron rail cutter get thru it?   Or do I need to use my moto tool (Dremel) with an abrasive disk?

Or a razor saw, which seems tedious.  

Way back (long before the existence of Xuron cutters or the universal possession of mini-drills, Dremels etc), Dad and I always used a junior hacksaw, whilst holding the rail steady with pliers. Didn't take long, and seemed to work. Whilst our layouts weren't, by current standards, very good, none of our problems stemmed from dodgy track joints. These days I'd refine the holding method by cutting a pair of suitably spaced grooves in an offcut of pine to slip over the rails, as I have for 00.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PatB said:

These days I'd refine the holding method by cutting a pair of suitably spaced grooves in an offcut of pine to slip over the rails, as I have for 00.

I second that recommendation. :good:

I prefer using a Dremmel with a cutting disc, it gets a neater cut in my experience over a hacksaw and saves the need to make a cutting block (I only have a small layout so needed to make about 4 cuts)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dremel with cutting disk. Fast & clean cuts.

To get precision with the cut, I clamp a block across the track and cut downwards using the block as a guide. 

It needs a bit of de-burring after the cut with a needle file, but that seems to be the same for all the cutting methods.

I recommend putting some containment around the cutting point (cardboard, etc) to catch the fine grains sprayed out from the disk as it cuts - and certainly you should wear a mask to avoid breathing in the stuff, plus eye protection.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1

The problem with a "Dremel" type tool is that due to the thickness if its body, and your fingers holding it,  it can't be held truely parallel so rail cuts come out at an angle.

I find that a grooved wooden block to hold the rails and a razor saw/junior hacksaw give the best results.

• Like 1

Funnily enough yesterday afternoon I laid a small loco siding and had to cut a few rails. I had no spare discs for my Dremel so I used a standard Xuron cutter whilst wearing safety glasses. Now I've ruined a couple of Xurons in the past cutting Peco O track (the blade snapped and flies off so hence the safety glasses) so this method is not ideal and I don't recommend others do it. Hacksaws give an iffy cut, I like the razor saw idea,  May be me but new Peco O track seems harder to cut these days. 

Brit15

The Dremel died last Thursday. It was my second in twenty years and has had a hard life. Before I committed the best part of a hundred pounds for a replacement I gave little brother a call and was recommended to look at an Ozito. It arrived this afternoon, in a case, with accessories including a flexible drive. It is a little heavier than the Dremel but has variable speed control and the chuck on the flexible drive is like using a fountain pen. It was thirty quid.

I understand that Homebase are giving them away for under ten quid. Too late for me!!

I can certainly recommend the flexible drive for a Dremel or equivalent - it is lightweight and neat in the hand and very easy to manipulate.

Getting a chuck for the Dremel is also something I recommend - I use a lot of micro drills (0.5mm - 2.2mm) with 2mm shafts and the chuck is way better for handling these and changing them is really simple.

Yours,  Mike.