The Railway Children Return. Sequel coming 15 July 2022.

Paul.Uni

Info from https://kwvr.co.uk/the-railway-children-return-2/

THE RAILWAY CHILDREN RETURN

All aboard! We’re delighted to announce cameras are rolling on STUDIOCANAL’s The Railway Children Return, a sequel to one of the most beloved British family films of all time.

Jenny Agutter resumes her role from the original film. Sheridan Smith, Tom Courtenay & a new generation of railway children to star. Coming to UK cinemas 1 April 2022.

A group of children are evacuated to a Yorkshire village during World War 2, where they encounter a young soldier, who like them, is far away from home…”

London, Paris, Yorkshire, 6 May 2021 – STUDIOCANAL is delighted to announce the start of principal photography on THE RAILWAY CHILDREN RETURN revealing that BAFTA & Emmy Award winning Jenny Agutter will resume her role from the original THE RAILWAY CHILDREN, BAFTA winning Sheridan Smith, Academy Award nominee & BAFTA winning Tom Courtenay & a new generation of Railway Children will star. Shooting begins on location in the UK 10 May 2021.

BAFTA winning Director Morgan Matthews (X+Y) will be shooting in key locations from the original film to include Oakworth Station, Haworth, and The Bronte Parsonage. the Iconic Keighley & Worth Valley Railway from the original film will also feature.

Written by BAFTA winning Danny Brocklehurst (BRASSIC, Red Production’s THE STRANGER, THE FIVE, SAFE and COME HOME) and Produced by BAFTA and award-winning Jemma Rodgers for STUDIOCANAL.

Inspired by one of the most beloved British family films of all time, THE RAILWAY CHILDREN RETURN is an enchanting adventure for a new generation bringing a contemporary sensibility to a classic story and combining British cast with stunning locations. THE RAILWAY CHILDREN RETURN will take audiences on an exciting and heart-warming journey, in which a group of children are evacuated to a Yorkshire village during World War 2, where they encounter a young soldier, who like them, is far away from home…

Edited by Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

It's all over the web, so looks genuine.

I just hope they get all the railway aspects correct and we don't (for example) have mk1s or BR liveried stock running in WW2...

7 hours ago, ikcdab said:

It's all over the web, so looks genuine.

I just hope they get all the railway aspects correct and we don't (for example) have mk1s or BR liveried stock running in WW2...

Which gets me as it said somewhere that it's set fifty years after the original which would mean it was the 1950s. So BR stock would be correct.

The original was set in 1905 according to Wiki

The book refers to the then current Russo-Japanese War and to attitudes taken by British people to the war. This dates the setting to the spring, summer and early autumn of 1905

I have a feeling it's going to based on this though

In 2021 BBC Radio 4 broadcast The Saving of Albert Perks, a monologue by Bernard Cribbins in which the now adult Roberta returns to Oakworth with two Jewish refugee children who have escaped Nazi Germany on the Kindertransport.[2]

Jason

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I saw the trailer on tv last night and immediately thought - oops.  Nothing to do with using wrong era stock or liveries or anything like that but a very big hole in the story itself which I suspect that even Jenny Agutter and Sheridan Smith can save.  I won't waste money using one of our reduced priced cinema tickets going to see it as it will no doubt be on tv within 18 months of cinema release.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I wonder if they would have called this something different, whether it would have been successful?

Why would they? There's a lot of affection for the original and I reckon the likes of George Lucas and Spielberg have thought through movie titles and they obviously think a degree of continuity is a sensible thing.

:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I'm not a fan of sequels/prequels and all the other stuff they do these days and I don't think I've been to the cinema since 'Les Mis' but I shall certainly give this a chance and not condemn it on the strength of a few seconds of trailer. It looks to me like they've caught some of the 'feel' of the original, Jenny is as lovely as ever and I'll be interested to see what they do with the Three Chimneys as the last time I saw it, it had white UPVC window frames that'll stick out like a sore thumb in wartime Yorkshire! (CJL)

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

There's a lot of affection for the original

Because I'm an old softie part of me was hoping for a small cameo appearance from the great Bernard Cribbins .

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

I'll probably wait until reviews come out, but to be honest I think it looks alright. I must admit that my first thought when I heard a sequel was coming was "sacrilege," but I'm prepared to judge it on its own merits. I just hope they don't try to retread the original too much - there were one or two bits in the trailer that looked worryingly like "this is the bit where they - " if you know what I mean.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought it shows promise. I'm sure it'll prove to be a charming cinematic equivalent of those feel-good TV programmes screened on a Sunday night as a distraction from the horrors of work on a Monday morning. I look forward to it coming to our local picture house.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Paul.Uni changed the title to The Railway Children Return. Sequel coming 15 July 2022.
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...