Track underlay

Morning all, has anyone tried using the fibre sheets as used on laminate flooring. I am starting another small layout 6'x4' with thick plywood and due to mobility problems I wanted a quick and easy base. Any other ideas? Thanks Tim

The Hobbycraft 2mm foam works out at £7.40 per square metre.  Depending on how much area you want to cover it might work out cheaper to use 2mm foam underlay e.g. this from B&Q which is only £1 per square metre - but you have to buy 20 square metres at a time.

(I'm sure you used to be able to get the foam flooring underlay in 3mm thickness as well - in fact I still have some offcuts which are definitely that thick - but that doesn't seem to be available any more.  I came in z-folded 'stacks' rather than rolls.)

• RMweb Gold

I have used the 5mm laminate flooring underlay. It's the dense blueish foam rather than fibre so it may not be what you have.

It is ok, bit it dents really easily if you lean on it or put something heavy on it.

Bearing in mind the cost of 3mm cork being not high (I paid £6 per sq m) I have reverted to cork and not regretted it for one moment.

This stuff is 5mm. Just used it as underlay on my hobby room floor.  Similar density to Depron foam, which I use the 3mm version of for my track underlay, though now the minimum order is 40 sheets, 1200 x 800 mm.

Thanks for all the replies lads, I think the answer was under my nose literally. The wife has an anti slip sticky underlay on our rugs, available from IKEA, I will investigate further and keep you informed.