Digitrax power supply DCS51

Calibra57

I have just acquired a Digitrax Zehyr DCS50 but it does'nt have a power supply (DCS51) and these seem to be unavailable, could I use a laptop style switched 18v 2.5a dc pwr supply or  must I use a transformer type, I have read DC can be used up to 22v or 15v AC, anyhelp would be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

You can use either a DC or AC supply according to Digitrax's website:

https://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB513/zephyr-non-usa-power-supply/

Maximum Input: 2.5 Amps, 15 Volts RMS AC, 50/60HZ, 37.5 VA continuous.
DO NOT exceed 16V RMS AC, 50/60HZ or 22VDC input.
A DC supply of 12 - 18VDC and 3 Amps can also be used, and will ensure correct track voltage.

If using a DC power supply, the 2mm connector needed would have the "+" connection in the center of the connector, with the outside of the connector being the "-" pole of the power supply.

I use a laptop power supply which has a 18V DC output for my DB150.

Steven B.

• Like 1

Just about any DC powerbrick will work that's within the recommended voltage range, provided it has the right diameter connector on the end (very common size).    I've email somewhere in an archive from Digitrax' tech support confirming that.  

The voltage input will be directly reflected in the track voltage.  18v in will be about 15-16v out at the track.   The PSU should be at least 3A, otherwise the PSU will shutdown rather than the Zephyr in the event of a short.  Something between 3A and 5A at the PSU is sensible.  

I've used an old IBM Thinkpad PSU* for something like 15 years on my DCS50.   

Its rated at 16v DC, 4.5A output.  Gives a sensible track output.  

(* yes, a real IBM one, it is that ancient.. )

- Nigel

• Like 2

Thank you both very much, that was just what I was hoping to hear, especially the old IBM PSU, I might even have one knocking around,  time to visit the loft!!

By the way, my layout is N gauge.

Richard

9 minutes ago, Calibra57 said:

Thank you both very much, that was just what I was hoping to hear, especially the old IBM PSU, I might even have one knocking around,  time to visit the loft!!

By the way, my layout is N gauge.

Richard

For N, I suggest aiming for 16v PSU rather than 18/19v.  

The Zephyr (DCS50) will do everything, but the keypad on the Zephyr has a few limitations:  It won't access CV's above 255, and only does functions F0 to F8.  Both of those can be an issue with sound decoders.     

If you attach a newer throttle to the Zephyr - real one, or a computer/phone based - then the throttle limitations go away.  (Can't remember for certain if the programming limit goes away, though I think it does, but I do almost all my programming with a Sprog).

- Nigel

• Like 1

Thank you Nigel, very useful to know,so the PSU i've seen on ebay will be fine, only 2.5amp though.  I'm not planning on sound at the moment but probably  in the future, this is my first venture into DCC and my first "proper" layout. 

Richard

As Nigel stated, your PSU has to be at least 3a or it will shut down before your DCS, not a good thing. Ebay is showing a 15v 3a supply which should be more than adequate. 

• Like 1

I'm assuming you mean 15V, 4.2A DC.    Then yes, it will good.  

Track voltage will be on the lower side, say 13v, so if you expect to run the fastest full-speed high speed trains, then you may find its a tad slow.  But for normal running it will be fine.   

- Nigel

• Like 1