REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

144a.jpg

The Class 144 will be introduced in a range of current modern liveries suitable for operation during the period 2000 to 2012.

Ref 144-01 Class 144 Alexander/Barclay 2 car DMU in Northern Night Blue & Purple livery.

Ref 144-02 Class 144 Alexander/Barclay 2 car DMU in West Yorkshire PTE / Northern ‘Metro’ Red & Silver Grey livery.

144b.jpg

144c.jpg

These models will be followed by a Class 143, the specification of this 2 car DMU will be identical to our Class 144 but will include a new buffer beam with early footsteps, repositioned battery boxes and electrical equipment, repositioned air brake equipment and a redesigned seating layout to suit the Class 143, which differs from the later built Class 144 DMU’s in their current day operations.

The Class 143 will be introduced in a range of current modern liveries suitable for operation during the period 2005 to 2012.

Ref 143-01 Class 143 Alexander/Barclay 2 car DMU in Arrive Trains Wales current Aquamarine & Cream livery.

Ref 143-02 Class 143 Alexander/Barclay 2 car DMU in First Great Western ‘Local Lines’ attractive advertising livery.

Time scale on the Class 144 Northern models is approx 3rd quarter 2011 followed by the Class 143 during early 2012.

Further information and updates will be found in due course at http://www.realtrackmodels.co.uk/

• Like 2

Both are welcome to me, for however much the prototype is loathed by some, they've been a characteristic part of the scene for nigh on 25 years now. For me, it'll be a 143, probably to be repainted in Regional Railways. Maybe some modellers will use them to get a smooth running mech for their Hornby 142s as well!

I'm not hot enough on the real thing to give educated comment on the CAD, so I won't. 2012 for the 143... plenty of time to save up!

This really is a welcome addition to the modern unit scene. The class 144/143 is something that Ive put on wishlists for every single time one has come up. Okay, so they arent normally found in County Durham where Im from, but given how good the model looks I'm sure to get some. Taigatrommel is right. Being around for 25 years the classes have performed a sterling service running passengers back and forth on a journey that needed costs to be cut and work cheaply at the time they were made. Yes they arent perfect but the network would be significantly worse off without them, and their sister class 142s.

Its a shame that the 142 isnt following this unit, as the class 144/143 are virtually identical. Maybe thats something else for the future. One question I do have, is that is the centre car for the 3-car 144 going to follow the 2 car varients? Id love to see the 143 back dated to liveries from the 1980s, ie the Tyne and Wear yellow and provincial blue. Would certainly be getting models of those.

If its any help for Taigatrommel 144011 and 144013 carried the standard Regional Railways livery as well as the 143 counterparts that were in the north east, prior to their dispatch to Wales. The rest carried the standard WYPTE red and cream stripe....

Brilliant news all round!

• RMweb Gold

I wish Arran & Charlie well with this and I'm amazed it stayed fairly secret as Charlie mentioned it to me (never met him before that), at The Epsom show. I kept quiet as it seemed unfair to spoil their news and he seemed genuinely excited about filling the gap and couldn't keep in the news! How many did you tell Charlie? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, these 144s work my local line and they look rather better than the 142s even if they don't ride any better! I might get myself a 2 car one in WYPTE livery.

Not just a 155... but a 142, 150, 153, 155, 156 and even on occasions a 158!

I think the better prospects for this unit and model is to do the class 144 and 143 at the same time. Appealing to modern moddellers with the Valley Lines and Northern and WYPTE will offer everyone that models the current scene the chance to fill that small gap in the unit roster and fleet, providing an up to date model made with the most modern manufacturing methods. Its great news to hear that this is being made, but also should be a brilliant start for this new company REALTRACK.

Whats more, backdating the model should time well with those that are modelling the 1980s, and 1990s, including those who (if the 30 year rule) is anything to go by) should be starting to return to the hobby and one of these would go down well with the Blue diesels and start of railfreight, intercity and sectorisation.

Being from where I am, I've developed a massive soft spot for the humble and much derirded Pacer unit. If the 142 was to follow Id hate to think how much saving would be needed to replace the current fleet I have, but upgrade them for the layout with the latest specs.

Should be interesting to hear the brief and design specs, after those images, to understand exactly how much detail and extras are to be placed in the unit. Hopefully someone from the company is on the forum..... but its brilliant news....

I think the better prospects for this unit and model is to do the class 144 and 143 at the same time. Appealing to modern moddellers with the Valley Lines and Northern and WYPTE will offer everyone that models the current scene the chance to fill that small gap in the unit roster and fleet, providing an up to date model made with the most modern manufacturing methods. Its great news to hear that this is being made, but also should be a brilliant start for this new company REALTRACK.

Whats more, backdating the model should time well with those that are modelling the 1980s, and 1990s, including those who (if the 30 year rule) is anything to go by) should be starting to return to the hobby and one of these would go down well with the Blue diesels and start of railfreight, intercity and sectorisation.

Being from where I am, I've developed a massive soft spot for the humble and much derirded Pacer unit. If the 142 was to follow Id hate to think how much saving would be needed to replace the current fleet I have, but upgrade them for the layout with the latest specs.

Should be interesting to hear the brief and design specs, after those images, to understand exactly how much detail and extras are to be placed in the unit. Hopefully someone from the company is on the forum..... but its brilliant news....

A detailed update of 'What you get!' will be sorted in the near future. Charlie. 'Long live the Pacer!!

For those of you wondering!

Regional Railway & Metro Train Red & Cream will appear as and when we can along with Valley Lines etc.

(Any one who has good photos of the various Welsh Liveries we would be most gratefull. Send to customerservices@realtrackmodels.co.uk.)

We also plan to do a centre car, but not before our NEXT DMU project!!! No lusty Glaze here!

Hello, someone from the company here!

Class 144: All Wheel Drive (One Car Only) Seperate Handrails, Internal yellow handrails, Drivers cab detailing, Window Wipers, Seperatly Moulded (Removable) Roof Pod, Different light clusters to suit all era's, compromise on seating depth to allow for motor to be less obvious when looking at underfloor detailing, see through windows,quality decal & paint finish, DCC Ready, Constant DC switchable lighting, live coupling between carriages,

area in rear unpowered car for DCC installation & speakers, Bi-Directional lighting. The flushing toilet has been cancelled due to ingress of water into the dcc fitting area! We are working on making the ride of the unit as rough as possible but at the moment the slow running motor is smooth and quiet, may have to modify this to make it terrible!!!!

Charlie P,

• Like 7

No need to having to worry about the rough riding.... my trackwork will sort all that out good and proper! good_mini.gif

Im cringing on how many of these im going to buy.... what with a 2 car 144, a 3 car 144, in Northern, WYPTE red and cream, then Regional Railways, a 143 in Regional, Provincial and Tyne and Wear..... crikey.... better get saving.... chok_mini.gif

And should a sister unit appear.... it will happen all over again....

Can't wait!

I am building a 143 with the Hurst cab ends from a Hornby 142, I will make do with that and then sell it for this model.

Completely see through, saloon lights, dummy couplers, directional lighting, DCC with a conductive coupling so only one decoder!... exactly what we can expect for modern models!

Don't know how I managed to miss this! Sounds a really good spec for these units and I will certainly be getting one in Northern livery. Although not a unit I know well I did use to see them between Carnforth and Lancaster and odd times at Morecambe on Leeds services and as this fits into my West Coast plans for the future will fit in brilliantly and add yet more variety to my Northen and First North Western liveried units. Really hope this goes well for you Charlie and Arran.

Shame about the lack of a flushing toilet though but I suppose that makes it a more realistic feature!tongue.gif

Thanks,

Mark

Shame about the lack of a flushing toilet though but I suppose that makes it a more realistic feature!tongue.gif

Thanks,

Mark

All you need to do, Charlie and Arran, is print an "Out of Order" sign for the lav door. Nothing could be more realistic than that!! ;) ;)

Roll on 2012!

I will be able to justify at least one Arriva Wales 143 on Kingstoke Junction. FGW local lines is just out of scope though but should one, or even more, of the Visit Bristol units appear, then that will be me definitely sorted. And any other livery that ran in the Bristol/Cardiff area pre-2007 will be most welcome.

KSJ

Well, I think that at least one of these will be heading my way. Now if only Hornby would do a 142 to the same standards.

Personally, I'd hope that if these do well for them, REALTRACK should take a crack at the 142 and do it right. Whilst it's good to hope such developments would encourage the bigger manufacturers, I think it's better for smaller manufacturers to develop into bigger ones (I seem to recall people being quite dismissive of me listing Dapol as a manufacturer in OO a few years back in this parish's predecessor...).