REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

GWR have now withdrawn their Class 143 fleet (although some were still running about at the weekend). Units 143 611, 620 & 621 are now stored at Swansea Landore before they head off to SIMS Newport in the New Year to meet their maker. 

Now I'll have to order a GWR Green one from Charlie :D

P1200711.JPG.7a6fe4c2d49644d427ef882ae46c2de2.JPG

IMG_20201221_121800.jpg.5f601f84f6ba7189032623cc0ec03d78.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Just been looking at the [relatively] newly listed Class 144s and there are a couple in the West Yorkshire Metro livery.

Now I’d really like a couple of original, as delivered, livery ones but I believe the cream band was wider and it had a thin yellow stripe to start with?

When was the narrow cream band and no yellow stripe version that is shown on Realtrack website introduced and did it last long before privatisation?

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks The 158 Man, that’s really helpful.

I’m modelling mid/late 80s into 1990, so the versions listed on Realtrack site are going to be too late - hopefully Charlie can produce a batch of the original livery as well sometime soon! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Would be fairly straightforward to do a bit of modelling and convert a newer-liveried model into the original livery. Certainly easier than trying to do it the other way.

Remove all the logos from the bodyside, mask up the cab windows and the extended yellow panel and spray, blending it into the existing yellow panel to save a full repaint of the front end. Mask up a widened white bodyside band. Apply new transfers including the yellow stripe - job done.

The worst part of painting any model is always stripping it and removing the glazing, particularly in n gauge where it's very easy to break stuff. This adaptation could be done without stripping anything at all :good:

Would be unrealistic to expect every single permutation of livery to be produced. If you want one enough, sometimes you have to make it happen yourself (or pay someone else to!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, ash39 said:

Would be fairly straightforward to do a bit of modelling and convert a newer-liveried model into the original livery. Certainly easier than trying to do it the other way.

Remove all the logos from the bodyside, mask up the cab windows and the extended yellow panel and spray, blending it into the existing yellow panel to save a full repaint of the front end. Mask up a widened white bodyside band. Apply new transfers including the yellow stripe - job done.

The worst part of painting any model is always stripping it and removing the glazing, particularly in n gauge where it's very easy to break stuff. This adaptation could be done without stripping anything at all :good:

Would be unrealistic to expect every single permutation of livery to be produced. If you want one enough, sometimes you have to make it happen yourself (or pay someone else to!)

don’t disagree with any of this. Isn’t the bigger problem the availability in any livery?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The last car of 143 621 ( 55687) has just left Landore less than 10 minutes ago on its final journey to the scrap-man. This week saw 143 620, 611 & 621 go for scrap. I believe these are the first 143's to be scrapped other than a couple that were fire damaged while in service.

So I now need a GWR green 143 that I can de-brand :smile_mini2:

IMG_20210211_123030.jpg.8ad082288f63dc012f9e7d57bfc90a08.jpg

IMG_20210211_130520.jpg.ddcabab3315c8b1e9c098566124f7400.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m wondering if any 144s will be scrapped.

So far its a home run to preservation... 7 left to go.

Because there are not enough units in preservation, they play a part but really will Mummy and Daddy want to be taking little Johnny and little Matilda to ride on a 144 rather than Thomas or something else big and broody.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Because there are not enough units in preservation, they play a part but really will Mummy and Daddy want to be taking little Johnny and little Matilda to ride on a 144 rather than Thomas or something else big and broody.

Depends, bouncy ride on jointed track, could be a fairground ride.

For scenic views their windows are pretty good.

2/3rds of a fleet of 144s preserved.. the other 7 are yet to be decided. For a lot of “off the mainstream” preserved lines they are a very cheap source of ex-BR traction, the likes of which aren't going to be seen again... computerised units from the 90’s onwards are going to be very hard if not impossible to maintain in the future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 19/02/2021 at 18:50, adb968008 said:

Depends, bouncy ride on jointed track, could be a fairground ride.

For scenic views their windows are pretty good.

2/3rds of a fleet of 144s preserved.. the other 7 are yet to be decided. For a lot of “off the mainstream” preserved lines they are a very cheap source of ex-BR traction, the likes of which aren't going to be seen again... computerised units from the 90’s onwards are going to be very hard if not impossible to maintain in the future.

There would be a load of Sprinters presumably when they come to be retired - Class 150s, 153s, 156s, 158s that should be similarly easy to maintain

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

There would be a load of Sprinters presumably when they come to be retired - Class 150s, 153s, 156s, 158s that should be similarly easy to maintain

I always thought a 156 could be a good sleeper conversion.

a vast open space on the interior to allow reconfiguration, easy to couple/uncouple, spread the geography of dropping off coaches enroute and connecting across multiple sleeper routes at hub cities in the night, has legs for distance, smooth riding... use 153 as lounge / buffet cars.

similarly if we ever had a parcels network again, I figured 150/2 with its multiple wide doors... we’ll find out from the 319’s (same layout design) if it has legs.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

30 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I always thought a 156 could be a good sleeper conversion.

a vast open space on the interior to allow reconfiguration, easy to couple/uncouple, spread the geography of dropping off coaches enroute and connecting across multiple sleeper routes at hub cities in the night, has legs for distance, smooth riding... use 153 as lounge / buffet cars.

similarly if we ever had a parcels network again, I figured 150/2 with its multiple wide doors... we’ll find out from the 319’s (same layout design) if it has legs.

would a sleeper coach want the drone of an underslung DMU engine though? if you start taking that off then you wouldn't gain anything over rebuilding spare Mk3s

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, GordonC said:

would a sleeper coach want the drone of an underslung DMU engine though? if you start taking that off then you wouldn't gain anything over rebuilding spare Mk3s

Its put me to sleep before now, besides theres room for more insulation.

interesting logistic on rebuilding a mk3, is how to maintain service for upto a year or more ?

GWRs op its bare bones as it is.. where is the 2 spare rakes coming from whilst you rebuild each rake with sliding doors, different electrics etc, test it get it approved for passenger use etc ?
What if, like the 92’s they need supporting mods..then you need double the number of locos during that period. Gbrf had ability to draw on heritage AC and spares 92’s....

it could cost as much to support this kind of operation for a couple of years, as it is to buy new stock and cheaper to convert something else.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 16/07/2012 at 21:20, charliepetty said:

The order should be:

144:

2 X Northern Done (RT144-111 and RT144-112)

2 X Metro (Arriva & Northern) Done (RT-144-113 and RT144-114)

143:

2 X Arriva Trains Wales Done (RT143-211 and RT143-212)

2 X First GW Done (RT143-213 and RT143-214)

144:

1 X Northern (Named) + Updated ariel. x2 showing on website (RT-144-413 and RT-144-414)?

143:

2 X Visit Bristol

2 X Valley Lines (Named)

144:

2 X WYPTE Red/Cream (Regional & Arriva) + Bus Seating showing on website (RT-144-411 and RT-144-412)?

2 X Regional Railways + Bus Seating

143:

2 X Regional Railways (Named) + Bus Seating showing on website (RT143-313 and RT143-314)?

2 X Tyne & Wear PTE + Bus Seating

144:

Original WY Metro Red & Cream + Bus Seating

143:

2 X Provincial + Bus Seating

2 X Provincial (Bathgate-Edinburgh) + Bus Seating

See the red text I've added to the quote from what appears on the website, I may have made some incorrect assumptions... Obviously the plan has changed a little with the addition of GWR livery (RT-143-311 and RT-143-312), possibly replacing the 'Visit Bristol' version, but what's happened to the ValleyLines version that was going to be in the second batch of 143s?

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 11:15, Rhydgaled said:

See the red text I've added to the quote from what appears on the website, I may have made some incorrect assumptions... Obviously the plan has changed a little with the addition of GWR livery (RT-143-311 and RT-143-312), possibly replacing the 'Visit Bristol' version, but what's happened to the ValleyLines version that was going to be in the second batch of 143s?

Things will become clearer as we get closer to the production Class 142.

Delays currently are 'Covid Related' sadly.    Charlie

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 22/02/2021 at 11:15, Rhydgaled said:

The GWR livery was done on the Class 143 after Charlie released that list. As well as the GWR livery the only other livery except different branding done after that list is Revised Arriva Trains Wales. 

Also GWR seems to be a popular scheme for Modelers so it make sense to cover it next even it doesn't follow the original plan.

Additionally i am hoping that Realtrack may also consider releasing another Local Lines Version.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sc2016 said:

The GWR livery was done on the Class 143 after Charlie released that list. As well as the GWR livery the only other livery except different branding done after that list is Revised Arriva Trains Wales. 

Also GWR seems to be a popular scheme for Modelers so it make sense to cover it next even it doesn't follow the original plan.

Additionally i am hoping that Realtrack may also consider releasing another Local Lines Version.

You never know!!

143-144 1990s.jpg

• Like 5