REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

Although he has already written that he has sold out of 143/144s.

Never mind, the problems with the Hornby 142 aren't anything that cannot be fixed... with time, patience, lots of £££ and a big space in the round to it shelf.

It could also be Charlie's clever sales pitch, aimed at getting you to buy more Pacers! ;)

• Like 1

Charlie, after you taking the time to answer several questions on other threads and explaining the scale of what you are working on, I have really developed quite a high level of respect for you.

(Is this an example of Charlie's well known incredibly dry sense of humour or does he really not realise I was joking?- Charlie, I'm sorry I really am. You are too busy to be asked to respond to what laughingly passes as my sense of humour- after all you are working on your new DMU- remind me again what class it is please...)

It a 1** Class

Although he has already written that he has sold out of 143/144s.

Never mind, the problems with the Hornby 142 aren't anything that cannot be fixed... with time, patience, lots of £££ and a big space in the round to it shelf.

In with the NEW DMU we 'Might' get a few more First Great Western Class 143s.  'Here's hoping'  Charlie

• Like 3

Here you go Charlie

A 4 car 143 with the two middle cars each fitted with a cab so that it can be split into two halves of 2 cars each. Apparently they have also made a six car version, but I've never seen it.

There is a regular 6 coach (2x2 coach 143s and 1x2 coach 150) which work the 1503 from Exeter st Davids to Paignton and 1612 from Paignton to Exeter st Davids.

There have even been sightings of an occasional 8 coach set (various formations) around Exeter during the dead of night, normally because the night shed drivers would rather do one trip instead of two.

I wont mention the 10 coach we tried, it didnt go well because the control MCB kept tripping in the front cab, so the driver at the back (there was one at each end) had to propel the lot out (a bit naughty that), we didnt do it again!

Edit-

Da rools state that only 8 cabs are allowed in a train with a 143 in, normally its 12 cabs, its to do with the voltage drop in the control wires, hence the  MCB tripping when we tried to be clever.

Edited by royaloak

In with the NEW DMU we 'Might' get a few more First Great Western Class 143s.  'Here's hoping'  Charlie

Ooooo, I like the sound of that, I wouldn't say no to maybe just one more to go with the 3 (Yes, I really do have enough FGW Models to do a nice recreation of Exeter Depot!).

Incidentally, ended up with the 'Realtrack' Pair last week on my way to Sandy Park!

• RMweb Premium

That's been done with the Hornby 142. To chop a £40 ebay 'toy train' is one thing- to chop a Realtrack model costing considerably more, well that takes some nerve.

0-0brock3.JPG

I currently have a few slices of a DC Kits resin kit that I'm in the middle of making in to a centre car, I thought about putting the two cabs and remaining centre section together to make a single car version, but the result didn't seem to justify the work - lots of filing, splicing and filling, plus lots of work on the chassis to make it all fit. I've enough of that to do as it is on the centre car! If anyone's interested in seeing what they can do with them, PM me, I'm sure we can come to some arrangement, they're heading for the "It might come in handy one day but I've no idea why" bin otherwise!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's the DCK reference? Did Charlie produce a kit before the RTR then?

Yes - sometime back about 2002 IIRC. I even remembered where mine was in the loft to grab a picture or two.

post-408-0-29392500-1474656927_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-25623200-1474656928_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me please?

Am I correct in thinking that Realtrack have produced four Class 144s so far and these are 144003, 144007, 144009 and 144012?

I have been looking on the Realtrack website recently at the four models considering buying one/some. Am I correct in thinking that the second to latest version of the Northern Rail livery which is worn on the model of 144012 and the majority of the Northern Rail Class 144s is sold out?

If so are more models of 144012 been produced?

I have then looked at the model of 144007. Is the livery worn on the model of 144007 the livery worn before the one modelled on 144012?

I am just asking because if I was to buy one/some of these models I would ideally like the latest livery.

Please could someone tell me which/how many of the four models are currently available to buy?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered previously.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hmmmm, after a little online searching for photographs, am I correct in thinking that these units are predominantly northern-based?  The majority of liveries appear to be either Scotrail, Northern Rail, Strathclyde etc.  Okay, I see that there are also some in East Midlands Trains, Anglian liveries etc, but I'm thinking more Southern or/and Western regions, or even London Midland City etc.  Does anyone know if these units have appeared in any liveries suitable for the more southern/south-west/south-eastern areas of England?

thanks

• RMweb Premium

I think you might have posted that in the wrong discussion YesTor!  Although the answer to the question is pretty much the same for the newly announced 156s, which I assume you mean (you refer to Scotrail, Strathclyde, East Midlands) as the 144s, but the 143s and other newly announced 142s are both very much provincial English/Welsh units, both up North (Northern & its predecessors) and in the West Country and Wales (FGW, ATW and their predecessors)

Class 14X and 15X DMUs are generally not common in the south/south east, Greater Anglia 153s and 156s in Anglia (unsurprisingly!) being about as close as you'll get, and FGW 158s in places like Portsmouth.  In the south west, Great Western Railway (formerly First Great Western) runs 143s and had 142s too, while Arriva Trains Wales runs the same two classes in south Wales.  156s are more northern units, spread from Greater Anglis through East Midlands trains, Northern and up to Scotrail.

(Obviously the above is a very general comment, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me I've forgotten something!)

I think you might have posted that in the wrong discussion YesTor!

Hmmm, okay thanks and yes correct, I am indeed referring to the 156.  I'm finding it difficult to justify a ScotRail liveried example, or even EMT, and they both do look very, very nice indeed. :scratchhead: