Cows on the line delay trains.

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

So that's why they put in barriers instead!

Like driving over a big matchbox apparently. Stop to remove large piece of white painted wood from the bufferbeam at Lewes and carry on. 

• Like 1

reminds me of the time sheep got on the line between Castleton and Rochdale the  local Ami were just arriving at Castleton so were despatched to chase the errant sheep back into theyre field . the managers names Tommy Shepard and Bill Wooley 

• Funny 2

8 hours ago, caradoc said:

Cows (and bulls) on the line are a serious hazard to trains; As Bert Cheese says, remember Polmont (July 1984, 13 fatalities). 

I was sent to rescue a HST once after it had hit some cows - 47 on the rear and drag it back - I think it had hit 3 cows, we went over the remains  of at least two.  After coupling up I walked forward to have a look how things were progressing - I had brought fitters (and P way) out with me - and remember vividly the damage to the front of the HST basically everything below the buffers/headlights was missing or destroyed.

However the thing I remember most was not blood or guts but that everything was covered in part digested grass and it stank!

Edited by 101
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I was once delayed for nearly an hour on a Reading train at Staines because there was a swan that couldn't be persuaded to move.

Back in the 1980s there was a series of black metal silhouettes of galloping horses along the line between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. I was on a train from Manchester that ran at a snail's pace along that stretch* because there had been a report of horses loose on the line. I did wonder if someone had reported seeing one of these sculptures, not realising what it was!

*No, not faster than usual...

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago I went from Swansea to Llandrindod for a student weekend on a double decker bus. We hit a sheep. Fortunately some of the students did potholing so they went under the bus and removed the sheep. The bus seemed undamaged but the sheep were now lamb chops.

Jonathan