T30RRA

I’ll sit back & enjoy this!  Whose kits?

I have a love hate relationship with coach building.  You need lots of them, but they’re as complex as a loco, large, fragile and fiddly, and difficult to paint well.

enjoy!

simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It looks like one of Malcolm Binns' excellent 'Sidelines' kits.  Like you, Simon, I don't enjoy building carriages but NPCS are O.K. - I think it must be all those hinges and door handles.  I took the easy way out and got most of mine RTR from Malcolm !

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Simond said:

I’ll sit back & enjoy this!  Whose kits?

I have a love hate relationship with coach building.  You need lots of them, but they’re as complex as a loco, large, fragile and fiddly, and difficult to paint well.

enjoy!

simon

Indeed the coaches are and will continue to be Sidelines. I intend on getting a streamlined coronation loco kit from the tower collection. 

Thanks for now.

• Like 3

Guest WM183

Oh I am getting a nice cold drink and some snacks for this. That is a great looking kit!

Watching with interest, 

Amanda 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started the bogies on this tonight. They're both in a similar state apart from one has wheels temporarily fitted. Once I've decided how many washers to put on for side play, I'll solder the bearings in and get them finished. 20211105_232726.jpg.2cfacb87cd0c0be41b99d5ef06e5d5bb.jpg

20211105_212023.jpg

20211105_224257.jpg

20211105_232702.jpg

• Like 2

On 13/10/2021 at 14:05, T30RRA said:

Added the extra jumper cables tonight. Train alarm gear next.

20211013_204405.jpg

Soldering footsteps is a bug bear for me.   I just can't get the knack of soldering such small detail.   On my LNWR six wheelers I choose super glue.   They seem properly stuck on.   I use a thick formula that does not go off instantly.    One has to hold the step for a few seconds, but the time to get it level and lined up is much appreciated.   One of my six wheelers is from an NLA kit.    The steps stick thru a slot etched in the end.   Simple as can be, generously soldered on the inside, no mess at all on the outside.   I wish the rest of my coaches were designed thus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluestag said:

Soldering footsteps is a bug bear for me.   I just can't get the knack of soldering such small detail.   On my LNWR six wheelers I choose super glue.   They seem properly stuck on.   I use a thick formula that does not go off instantly.    One has to hold the step for a few seconds, but the time to get it level and lined up is much appreciated.   One of my six wheelers is from an NLA kit.    The steps stick thru a slot etched in the end.   Simple as can be, generously soldered on the inside, no mess at all on the outside.   I wish the rest of my coaches were designed thus.

Most of the end detail on this fits through the end to be soldered. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not bad for my first guild show. I also got a connoiseur bogie brick wagon kit. I'm still on with the coach, I've had train alarm gear castings arrive from dj parkins recently, more updates soon. 

20220305_195351.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry. I've only just checked the thread from last time. As Ray says, they come with them, very good but the brake shoes are a bit of a fiddle to get right. 

Any way... Not perfect but worth the effort I think. Just a bit more to do the other side of the valve box. The white metal bits are castings from the cavalier coaches range, available as components from dj parkins

20220422_235505.jpg

• 4 months later...