Hitachi trains grounded

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Afroal05 said:

Update expected by 1800 on up to 25 units for GWR.

Writing and implementing a plan to go from 2 to 25 units overnight will be the biggest challenge. (From both a unit and a crew point of view.)

Thanks - its been suggested to me that if the plan is signed off today then probably a small number of extra services back Friday, but majority of those 25 sets over the weekend.

As @Afroal05 says implementing the plan, working with NR to establish a reliable and deliverable timetable and then getting that timetable in the system will take time.

Edited by MarshLane

1 minute ago, MarshLane said:

Thanks - its been suggested to me that if the plan is signed off today then probably a small number of extra services back Friday, but majority of those 25 sets over the weekend.

The ambition (and it is ambitious) would be to introduce a couple more ad hoc this evening, a wider plan tomorrow and a bigger plan from the weekend.

I have my pen in hand writing some things out now...

Priority today would be to get that turbo (166215) off the RDG-NWP circuit and try and strengthen 800009 so that there are 9/10 cars running around to help with passenger loadings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Afroal05 said:

The ambition (and it is ambitious) would be to introduce a couple more ad hoc this evening, a wider plan tomorrow and a bigger plan from the weekend.

Priority today would be to get that turbo (166215) off the RDG-NWP circuit and try and strengthen 800009 so that there are 9/10 cars running around to help with passenger loadings.

Having been there and done that in the past (Kentish Town relay room fire, barge hitting Blackfriars Bridge, Gauge Corner Cracking) I feel for you and hours you will all be putting in to try and build a plan based on constantly shifting sands.  Most people will never understand the amount of effort made behind the scenes to keep trains running.  The effort is appreciated, especially by someone who has a trip to Edinburgh in early June booked which uses both affected routes!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Railway history is littered with problems and faults:

Bulleid Pacifics chain driven valve gear wasn't a great success

71000 Duke of Gloucester was poor at steaming despite 100+ years of steam loco development!

And it's not the first time an entire class of headline express passenger locomotives have been hastily withdrawn from service following the discovery of cracks... Kings and Merchant Navies at least both suffered the same ignominy. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

LNER has some sets running of which all that I can confirm are 5-car sets; some turns have 91+Mk4 sets in use as substitutes.  Rubber-tyred replacement still applies north of Edinburgh and for some other journeys.  Mandatory reservations do not apply when alternative stock with non-matched seating plans is substituted.  This might also help shift the numbers of people who have been inconvenienced and told to "re-book on a later train" only to find that all trains which are running are fully booked to Covid-19 capacity.  

GWR seems to have nothing available whatsoever.  Such main-line services as they are able to offer is covered by 158 / 166 units, "Castle" class HST short sets and loaned XC traction (covering Swindon - Bristol shuttles at least).  

41 minutes ago, Nimbus said:

Lots of shock loadings going on under the 717 units!

It has been said to me many times, and I have to agree based upon experience, that the suspension can be both felt and heard to be working (how effectively is a moot point) on all new stock from the 700s.  I have yet to sample a 701 but am told they are not much better than a 707 from the cab.  I am utterly unimpressed at the 707 and 80x-series suspension and have already made the decision that future rail trips to the south-west will be by the much slower LSWR route using class 159 and HST / 158 stock rather than suffer any more numbness and lurching, hard rides on the Hitachi sets.  Seat quality does not help one bit.  A hard ride from the suspension is exacerbated rather than ameliorated by having hard uncomfortable seating.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Friendly/supportive 3

20 minutes ago, Afroal05 said:

Good luck. You're very brave using a pen- I used to have a drawer of HB pencils and rubbers for occasions like this......I (fairly) recently retired after 23 years at Control in Eurotunnel.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I get somewhat irritated by people banging on how they should have been built in the UK as they would have been “better”.  Sorry I just don’t believe it, remember the fiasco’s with reliability with the Class 60’s and 92’s; and their still not 100% reliable unless they rip out the the old electronic or redundant gear.  It took Brush nearly 3 years to build 100 Class 60’s and nearly 4 to get them into service with some degree of reliability.

On the other hand, GMD built 250 Class 66’s for EWS in 18 months, and they worked right off the ship!  I spoke to a friend of mine who works in the aviation industry and he’s just baffled over the headless chicken comments about aluminium being used on railway stock because as he pointed out, aircraft are built using aluminium and if a cracks found, it’s drilled out and a doubler plate glued and either welded or riveted on.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Afroal05 said:

And '009 came into service late after striking a badger ...

I knew it would just be a matter of time until badgers were implicated....  :huh:

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Quite a number 9 car units northbound out of KX over the next couple of hours but information on LNER 5 car bi modes is scarce.

Last figures I had, which were yesterday so could have changed now is that there were four five-car 800 bi-modes available, all the rest were five and nine car Class 801 pure electrics.

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

GWR seems to have nothing available whatsoever.  Such main-line services as they are able to offer is covered by 158 / 166 units, "Castle" class HST short sets and loaned XC traction (covering Swindon - Bristol shuttles at least).  

There is one set out today, working Newport - Reading.  It should have been two, but I gather one hit a deer last night and required repair - the loss of the second unit was nothing to do with the crack issue.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

There is one set out today, working Newport - Reading.  It should have been two, but I gather one hit a deer last night and required repair - the loss of the second unit was nothing to do with the crack issue.

It never rains but it pours.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

That deer would have been OK in proper GWR days - a printed warning to drivers to watch out for hunts.

Mind you, it really was bad luck. How many deer are hit these days even with a full timetable? Or is it like the goats at Llandudno which have got very bold over the past year?

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I get somewhat irritated by people banging on how they should have been built in the UK as they would have been “better”.  Sorry I just don’t believe it, remember the fiasco’s with reliability with the Class 60’s and 92’s; and their still not 100% reliable unless they rip out the the old electronic or redundant gear.  It took Brush nearly 3 years to build 100 Class 60’s and nearly 4 to get them into service with some degree of reliability.

On the other hand, GMD built 250 Class 66’s for EWS in 18 months, and they worked right off the ship!  I spoke to a friend of mine who works in the aviation industry and he’s just baffled over the headless chicken comments about aluminium being used on railway stock because as he pointed out, aircraft are built using aluminium and if a cracks found, it’s drilled out and a doubler plate glued and riveted on.

And what, the best part of a decade to build 135 class 56's, spread over two different plants.

Britain-workshop to the world? The fact is, our locomotive building industry has never been much more than a cottage industry compared even to the European builders, never mind GM & GE in the US.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Last figures I had, which were yesterday so could have changed now is that there were four five-car 800 bi-modes available, all the rest were five and nine car Class 801 pure electrics.

Notice that the 9 car units are now working to both Glasgow and Stirling. But still nothing to either Inverness or Aberdeen which of course need bimode.Hang on though ,is Stirling under the wires then ? Edit : yes it is !

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

is Stirling under the wires then ?

Yes.

The local's car parking is a bit iffy, though...

a2d4d00e-3460-4920-a7da-a2301358a832.jpg

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

And what, the best part of a decade to build 135 class 56's, spread over two different plants.

Britain-workshop to the world? The fact is, our locomotive building industry has never been much more than a cottage industry compared even to the European builders, never mind GM & GE in the US.

Actually it was three.  The first 30 by Electroputere in Romania to which the build quality was questionable, but given the regime there, hardly surprising, then BREL at Doncaster built 85 and BREL at Crewe built the final 20 as Doncaster was concentrating on the Class 58 build.

• Agree 2

Bit off topic, talk earlier on this thread was about the risk of running critical systems off the web - 

Well, it's happened in the USA today

US gas shortage fears: Georgia & Florida in state of emergency after crippling cyberattack

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1435227/US-Petrol-Cyberattack-Joe-Biden-State-of-Emergency-Pipeline-Russia-Latest-News-VN

Brit15