Hitachi trains grounded

• RMweb Gold

Don't get me wrong, if there's a problem, it needs to be tackled. But I'm not sure there is a problem here, and it would be wrong to insist on solving it for rail users, but doing nothing car/bus/cyclists/pedestrians on the street.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Does there need to be a fix, or is this just a non-story produced by a journalist who hasn't presented the facts in full context?

As mentioned above, comparing the peak levels in a train with the average on a road is meaningless without other information, such as number & duration of samples, time of day etc.

One would have to read the report to come to a conclusion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The answer of course is electric trains, but that is far too simple. And needs electricity.

Also, not to take most "news" stories too seriously.

And if you want decently researched and written news stories you need to go back to the situation where journalists were journalists rather than also being page designers, proof readers, typesetters etc. But with fewer people buying newspapers that will not happen.

Back on topic, did anyone else find anything about more cracks developing in LNER 80x class bodies?

Jonathan

• Agree 3

re. that guardian article

The peak hourly mean NO2 on Marylebone was 198 in 2019 (took a pre-covid number), despite the OVERALL mean being lower. The peak on the bi-modes was about 210 (although the guardian graph and story clearly is very confused about different types of peaks and averages etc). 

Ultimately the UK needs to move to electric/hydrogen propulsion, and more rapidly. Suck up the extra cost because the health impact from air quality isn't worth it. I'm sure you can engineer in air cleaning (for PM, not NO2) on fresh air intakes, and try to tweak the airflow, but in the end the way to stop NO2 being produced is to stop producing it. Our lungs would be very appreciative.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

And our wallets not so appreciative! Not a vote winner for any party but the Greens...

22 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Short of commercial CO2 for food use maybe.  We have more than enough atmospheric CO2 thank you ;) 

Oh goody! Only squash and Real Ale in the pubs, no fizzy drinks and keg beer! :lol:

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2021 at 20:47, ess1uk said:

What’s the latest news on this?

Nothing on my last update from 15th September. Units still fail crack checks from time to time and then require moves to North Pole for remedial welding. Units still running under concessions.

I believe that there is going to be some experimental work undertaken on the two units that have not been in traffic since April. That's 800013 & 800026 which both had extensive cuts made to establish the severity of the damage when the problems were first discovered. 

Al

EDIT: An example of a unit that has recently failed crack checks is 802012 currently at Long Rock (Penzance) and requires a 75mph restricted move to North Pole. It has been down there since 20th October as resourcing such a move is quite difficult, especially with ongoing driver shortages.

Edited by Afroal05
Added further information.
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Afroal05 said:

EDIT: An example of a unit that has recently failed crack checks is 802012 currently at Long Rock (Penzance) and requires a 75mph restricted move to North Pole. It has been down there since 20th October as resourcing such a move is quite difficult, especially with ongoing driver shortages.

Not going to be speed restricted in Cornwall then! 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

What percentage of the GWR fleet is currently grounded? And are we still looking at a timeframe of years before the problem is resolved?

I've seen a timescale of 18 months quoted. However, I presume that starts when the first set goes in for rectification.

AIUI, the two sets currently in works are guinea pigs being used to work out what measures will provide the long-term solution.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

What percentage of the GWR fleet is currently grounded? And are we still looking at a timeframe of years before the problem is resolved?

Well as of this moment there are only three units stopped listed as cracked: 800026, 800307, 802012. As a percentage that's 3.22%.

I can only understand this to mean 800013 has had some kind of repair made on it - it was still stopped last week having been stopped since April but I can see it is out in traffic today.

By comparison there are nearly as many (two) units long term stopped for impact damage repair (completely unrelated).

I haven't heard any recent ETAs for a fix but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't one. The original dates being kicked around were 18-24 months from first unit repaired.

35 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've seen a timescale of 18 months quoted. However, I presume that starts when the first set goes in for rectification.

AIUI, the two sets currently in works are guinea pigs being used to work out what measures will provide the long-term solution.

John

Yes, that is my understanding as well John. Interesting to see that '013 is back in traffic though as I was only told last week the cuts they had made were extensive and a return to traffic was unlikely soon.

Al

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Kris said:

Not going to be speed restricted in Cornwall then! 

It'll get there dreckly

(with apologies to those not familiar with Cornish dialect).

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Cornish : any term of endearment will do. Typically “My c0ck, duck, luvver, ansum, beauty” though others are used. “My lover” does not refer to one’s lover because that would be confusing :jester:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Cornish : any term of endearment will do. Typically “My c0ck, duck, luvver, ansum, beauty” though others are used. “My lover” does not refer to one’s lover because that would be confusing :jester:

Several decades ago, I was climbing one of the several steep hilly roads in Port Isaac, at, I may say, some pace. A local coming down the hill said "You'm goin' like a bu**er!"

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Several decades ago, I was climbing one of the several steep hilly roads in Port Isaac, at, I may say, some pace. A local coming down the hill said "You'm goin' like a bu**er!"

I was driving one of the back-road bus routes one day - the sort which a handful of isolated folk rely on but which demand enough skill to drive along roads where the hedges brush your mirrors on both sides - up around Dingdong behind Penzance.  Anyone who's been there in a car will know it's a tight enough fit with numerous blind corners.  Having been delayed, in good Cornish fashion, by the herd being led out across the road for milking back on the moors I was keen to be on time for my next trip.  

Despite seldom exceeding 15mph through the narrows I was patted on the back upon arrival in Penzance by a local with the words "You'm bin goin' like flop out back Tommy's 'effer" :O  Tommy being a local farmer whose bovines were apparently renowned for having fast and prolific bowels!!!  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

The rail vehicle crack epidemic seems to have become a pandemic in trams at least, CAF Urbos 3 fleets have been withdrawn from several cities worldwide recently. 

(Following from the previous posts, this is your cue for some West Midlands and Australian dialects, among others) 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

The rail vehicle crack epidemic seems to have become a pandemic in trams at least, CAF Urbos 3 fleets have been withdrawn from several cities worldwide recently. 

(Following from the previous posts, this is your cue for some West Midlands and Australian dialects, among others) 

I'm not sure the Aussie dialect is printable on a family friendly forum?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

GWR Hitachi IET cracks much worse than previously thought .....  

1808626151_Screenshot2021-11-17at14_44_59.png.4ea9af3b3f89e02218916748e158f28b.png

Found on GWR Instagram feed along with other "Christmas" goodies.  Hmmmmmm.  :notme:

The IET Achilles heel.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, SHMD said:

You lot are just callus.

Kev.

Surely you don't expect us to toe the line?

What's the similarity between a sock with a hole, and an IET?

The owners both said "darn it!"

Why would an IET make a good comedian?

They crack themselves up.

What's the difference between a breakfast cereal and an IET?

One goes "Snap Crackle Pop" and the other is a breakfast cereal.

Thank you very much, I'm, here all night - and so are the welders.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14