Running in stored stock

Vistisen

• RMweb Gold

I am in the lucky situation that I have just be given a whole storage chest of rolling stock, this includes 30+ locomotives, these have not been used for years. I need to fit DCC chips to them. But before doing so, I think that I should make sure that they run OK using conventional DC power. I am thinking of purchasing a rolling road of some sort to allow them to run for a while. But is this enough to be able to get them back into service, or do they need to run on a real track pulling stock?

Edited by Vistisen

• Vistisen changed the title to Running in stored stock

Ideally run them on a test track,  a circle of 3rd radius track with a couple of 2ft radius points and a couple of straights should be enough.   Cheap and nasty, ( or expensive and nasty)  rolling roads don't help with checking the loco wheels on tender drive chassis. Some of the locos may be Mainline with split chassis, not worth bothering with as regards DCC conversion or Airfix or Lima  tender drive locos and half an hour running should be enough to see if the wheels stay on or not and  see if they can actually pull trains.    

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The grease &/or oil on drivetrains can go "gloopy" during long term storage causing extra drag.

Make sure that the drivetrain runs freely before running locomotives for long otherwise you may end up with burnt out motors.

Some locomotives will free/warm up with careful use of the controller but make sure that you don't overoil/grease them.

Figure of 8 test track with a couple of pairs of points, 1 x set "straight" & the other "curved" would be ideal (don't forget to keep the test track clean & avoid track rubbers if possible - especially the one from the South West.)

Edited by SamThomas
tiepo.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello, just came across this thread: how did you get on with running in the stock?

I had something similar when I inherited stock from my dad, most of which hadn't been run in a long time - measured in decades rather than years.

I found they all needed a basic but thorough service - a 'clean and lube' sort of thing, before any proper running in could be done - was it the same for you - but they came up very nicely afterwards. Here's one, a Triang Rocket, complete with tender and coaches though not shown here - hope it's ok to post these on your thread:

1430124890_Tri-AngRocket20210308(1).jpg.58856bc5c2dc40c57a185022ed6a19c9.jpg

570403806_Tri-AngRocket20210308(3).jpg.f4863797113ea41a918ee9a4638e92c6.jpg

• Like 2