Kernow Model Rail Centre confirm Warship versions

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre are pleased to announce that they are now taking orders for their D6xx OO Gauge Warship model. Their Beattie Well Tank and Class 205 Thumper models were laser scanned which saved a considerable amount of time and resulted in them overtaking the D6xx Warship in the development process. With no preserved prototype available the D6xx Warship model has taken longer to develop than they had hoped, but working from original drawings and other reference sources the CAD-CAMS are being produced and will be available shortly.

D601.jpg

Image courtesy of Kernow Model Rail Centre and Exe Rail (copyright)

The models will be priced at £129.99 (subject to the VAT rate remaining at 17.5%) and delivery is expected during 2011. The models will be produced by Dapol on their behalf using tools owned by Kernow Model Rail Centre. Each model will be a certified limited edition of 750 and will feature etched nameplates, working directional and cab lighting, 5-pole skew-wound motor with flywheels and be DCC Ready.

No deposits are required and no funds are taken from debit or credit cards until they are ready to send the models.

They are producing five versions as detailed below - see them on the http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com website

K2600 Dapol Class 41 Warship Diesel Locomotive number D600 named "Active" in BR Blue livery with full yellow ends, headcode boxes and mesh grilles £129.99. KMRC Web Page

K2601 Dapol Class 41 Warship Diesel Locomotive number D601 named "Ark Royal" in BR Green livery with no yellow ends, headcode disks and louvres £129.99. KMRC Web Page

D602.jpg

Image courtesy of Kernow Model Rail Centre and Exe Rail (copyright)

K2602 Dapol Class 41 Warship Diesel Locomotive number D602 named "Bulldog" in BR Green livery with small yellow ends, headcode boxes and mesh grilles £129.99. KMRC Web Page

K2603 Dapol Class 41 Warship Diesel Locomotive number D603 named "Conquest" in BR Green livery with small yellow ends, headcode disks and mesh grilles £129.99. KMRC Web page

K2604 Dapol Class 41 Warship Diesel Locomotive number D604 named "Cossack" in BR Green livery with no yellow ends, headcode disks and mesh grilles £129.99. KMRC Web Page

You can place your order on-line through their website from the links above or alternatively if you wish to send a cheque please ensure that you date it 1st April 2011 or preferably leave it undated.

Kernow Model Rail Centre contact info

Tel: 01209 714099

Email: kmrc@btconnect.com

Web: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

• RMweb Gold

Just recieved a Newsletter from Kernow Model Rail Centre.

Does anyone have any info on when the grilles changed from louvres to mesh?

Yes, good news! But ....... as Kernow have distributed this newsletter tonight (Tuesday), they haven't as yet updated their website. This means we can't place pre-orders yet. Hopefully they will update the website and open the order book in the morning, or they may be quite busy on the phones when they clock on and open the shop!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Yes, good news! But ....... as Kernow have distributed this newsletter tonight (Tuesday), they haven't as yet updated their website. This means we can't place pre-orders yet.

Placed my order ok.

Got a receipt to prove its been taken.

• RMweb Premium

Orders are now being taken with the website fully updated. Though it did seem to be a little busy when I logged in ;)

A long-anticipated announcement and with the Beattie well tank already being generally praised before metal is cut I have every confidence these models will turn out to be of the same quality.

• RMweb Gold

There I was drooling over each version, picking out the one I wanted and going to the Kernow website. I am a 1st time buyer from this particular retailer and registered all my details, added the loco to the basket and headed for the check out.

I then almost fell off my chair when I saw the quoted P&P to Ireland!!! Is there alternative methods for shipping (ala Hattons etc.) that I'm missing out on? If there isn't then I wont be placing my order. I wont give the figure but its almost four times what Hattons or Modelfair would charge for a similar package (no connection, just the two mail order shops I usually use and both have, thus far, delivered excellent service.)

Sorry for the almost OT rant, but the P&P price quoted feels like a bit of a rip-off. I have no problem paying the quoted amount for the model as its a one off and I know the retailer needs to cover the considerable cost of taking on such a limited run, high risk venture. Maybe I am overreacting, but the P&P feels like I'm being ripped off, and as a result, I wont be placing an order as a result for this loco or indeed any other items the retailer sells. Pity.

• RMweb Premium

Shipping costs are not within the control of the retailer. The only option they have is in some cases where there may be a choice of carrier. It appears to be the case that certain retailers are offering shipping at well below cost and wearing the loss based upon what I have paid to them and what is shown on the package.

I then almost fell off my chair when I saw the quoted P&P to Ireland!!! Is there alternative methods for shipping (ala Hattons etc.) that I'm missing out on? If there isn't then I wont be placing my order. I wont give the figure but its almost four times what Hattons or Modelfair would charge for a similar package (no connection, just the two mail order shops I usually use and both have, thus far, delivered excellent service.)

Sorry for the almost OT rant, but the P&P price quoted feels like a bit of a rip-off. I have no problem paying the quoted amount for the model as its a one off and I know the retailer needs to cover the considerable cost of taking on such a limited run, high risk venture. Maybe I am overreacting, but the P&P feels like I'm being ripped off, and as a result, I wont be placing an order as a result for this loco or indeed any other items the retailer sells. Pity.

Here's their rates:

http://www.kernowmod....html?action=12

It says 17 pounds maximum to Ireland. Maybe the cart is set up to add the maximum and the actual price will be lower? They say 'at cost' to the US, and the shipping firms mentioned are I believe the same used by Hattons.

The worst offender is by far the NRM. They charged me over 20 quid shipping for the Proto Deltic. ohmy.gif

Hattons charges about a quarter of that to the United States for your typical diesel.

We now return the topic to very fine looking North British diesels... cool.gif

• RMweb Gold

Shipping costs are not within the control of the retailer. The only option they have is in some cases where there may be a choice of carrier. It appears to be the case that certain retailers are offering shipping at well below cost and wearing the loss based upon what I have paid to them and what is shown on the package.

Fair enough Gwiwer, but I have been looking further on their site and they say the rate to Ireland is a 'flat fee', so this would indicate to me that they do control over the P&P rates they charge, whether it be up or down. Anyway, there is a paragraph stating that if I leave details in a window where I confirm the P&P address they may be able to offer a cheaper option. I'm going to do that, and if they can help me out, great! If not, then I may well be declining on buying one. I thought it would be good to leave some feedback to the retailer from an international customers point of view.

Anyway, back on topic, I hope these are a great success for both Kernow and Dapol! Nice, varied choice of prototypes to pick from too, demonstrating good attention to detail as well by the sounds of it.

• RMweb Gold

Here's their rates:

http://www.kernowmod....html?action=12

It says 17 pounds maximum to Ireland. Maybe the cart is set up to add the maximum and the actual price will be lower? They say 'at cost' to the US, and the shipping firms mentioned are I believe the same used by Hattons.

The worst offender is by far the NRM. They charged me over 20 quid shipping for the Proto Deltic. ohmy.gif

Hattons charges about a quarter of that to the United States for your typical diesel.

We now return the topic to very fine looking North British diesels... cool.gif

I set up the cart and it stated the same £17 price Pete, but thanks for checking, you might be right. It was just a bit of a dissappointing shock at the time. As you can see, your NRM Deltic to the States was almost a bargain in comparison! I have a plan though, as per previous thread ;)

And as Pete said, back to the NBL's themselves :)

Pretty good price too considering the spec and the amount of effort to get these models right.

Obviously we haven't had a Dapol diesel yet but when you compare the initial attention to detail and the CAD available so far they knock the spots off the Hattons 14 and other limited ed's!

I look forward to the CAD for these as well as the engineering sample of the 22.

Fair enough Gwiwer, but I have been looking further on their site and they say the rate to Ireland is a 'flat fee', so this would indicate to me that they do control over the P&P rates they charge, whether it be up or down. Anyway, there is a paragraph stating that if I leave details in a window where I confirm the P&P address they may be able to offer a cheaper option. I'm going to do that, and if they can help me out, great! If not, then I may well be declining on buying one. I thought it would be good to leave some feedback to the retailer from an international customers point of view.

Anyway, back on topic, I hope these are a great success for both Kernow and Dapol! Nice, varied choice of prototypes to pick from too, demonstrating good attention to detail as well by the sounds of it.

Looking on the same link provided by Pete, I think the key bits of text for you would be:-

"Within most of Europe we have a flat rate and these orders will be sent by Parcelforce. This flat rate is the maximum that we will charge and if we can send the items cheaper by International Signed For we will do this and reduce your postage charge accordingly"

"Our website will automatically add these flat rates and we will then reduce it if applicable once the order is packed, weighed and measured. We have to do this as the method of calculating the exact cost is very complicated and depends on a combination of weight and size. There is no simple formula for this! As a rough guide a single locomotive to Europe would cost £5."

My geography not being great, but I think Ireland would count as Europe! I am sure if you contacted them direct they would confirm this.

Back to the D6xx, I believe the body side grills were amended around the same time that yellow warning panels were added, but before headcode boxes were fitted. Dates of these changes are a bit vague and from my books it would appear that if you have original grills you can only have plain green. You can also have small yellow panels and original grills and the same livery with modified grills. Early 1960s from photos but I would have to go back and look properly and see what the earliest dated picture is with these modified grills.

Looks like a nice spread of liveries to choose from but the one I was hoping for is not available! I really wanted D602 in Blue with small yellow ends. Plenty of others to keep me happy for now and I like the attention to detail in the differing grills etc being made available.

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to that nice Mr Trerice for responding precisely to my request for D601 in that condition - the first mainline diesel I ever saw (beating the second, D200, by about 3 weeks). So I'd best order another one as well as a show of appreciation :)

And yet again from Kernow a nice professional demonstration of the way to set about introducing and taking orders for a limited edition. I await September with considerable interest.

Looks like a nice spread of liveries to choose from but the one I was hoping for is not available! I really wanted D602 in Blue with small yellow ends. Plenty of others to keep me happy for now and I like the attention to detail in the differing grills etc being made available.

Thats the one I,m after as well,might hold off and wait for it as my credit card is at its limit on preorders alone!

Hi,

No the ' big announcement' did not include the D6xx loco's for Kernow, nor a B.P. ( as more than 1 company is looking to produce that, ditto a class 76 ), i'm afraid you will all have to wait until Saturday 11.00am for the info.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Hi,

No the ' big announcement' did not include the D6xx loco's for Kernow, nor a B.P. ( as more than 1 company is looking to produce that, ditto a class 76 ), i'm afraid you will all have to wait until Saturday 11.00am for the info.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

I await with baited breath (and nervous credit card)...

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

I'm gonna have to save up for a gas turbine as well? :blink:

And interesting to see that 'more than 1 company' is looking to produce a BP and a Class 76/EM1 - it's starting to get like 'buses with some of these commissioned models ...... you wait for ages and then ....

...nor a B.P. ( as more than 1 company is looking to produce that, ditto a class 76 ), i'm afraid you will all have to wait until Saturday 11.00am for the info.

cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

GOOD GRIEF!!! :blink: :O

Two companies to produce the Blue Pullman?

Ah - hang on :D

One 00 version by Heljan - Dapol to produce an N gauge version? :lol: ;)

The speculation continues apace! :lol:

Archived