Inlaid commercial points - help!

ManofKent

Any tips or thoughts on infilling points between the blades?

I'm wanting to inlay much of the track with stone setts. I'm fairly confident in adding extra rail to create a flange gap before filling with DAS on the main sidings, but I could really do with having one or two sets of points infilled. Points are Peco short Ys - no interest in track building at this stage. I thought I'd look at other layouts for inspiration, and thought of Chris Nevard's Brewhouse Quay, but discovered he'd been crafty/sensible and avoided cobbling the points. 

Only thoughts so far are make sure the gap between sleepers is full of DAS, paint then affix a slim piece cut from Wills sheet, putting up with large gaps to ensure good running.

Any ideas or pointers welcome.

• Informative/Useful 1

I usually use card stuck on top of the sleepers to the required height and painted, or topped with Scalescenes ground surface printed onto paper or thin card. This way everything is easy to take up if I need to re-use the points.

Not as good looking as the 3D Wills sheet, which I have also used between tracks, but not bad either.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rodshaw said:

I usually use card stuck on top of the sleepers to the required height and painted, or topped with Scalescenes ground surface printed onto paper or thin card. This way everything is easy to take up if I need to re-use the points.

Not as good looking as the 3D Wills sheet, which I have also used between tracks, but not bad either.

Thanks I tried cutting card, but whatever infill leaves massive gaps if the blades are operational.

The issue here is that the throw of 1:1 scale points is only enough as it needs to be to allow a train's wheels to pass cleanly through the gap left.   This is quite small.

The throw on commercial model railway points is massively overscale when compared to the prototype.  Hence the massive gaps.

• Agree 1

Yeah, so the solutions are:

1. Tolerate the massive point throw and the huge gaps.  Probably the cheapest option, but looks the worst.

2. Build your own track using tramway components.  Requires some patience and skill.  The overall price will probably depend on whether you already have the tools you need or if you need to invest in tools.

3. Use Tillig tramway track https://www.tillig.com/dateien/Produkte/TTModellbahnen/Zubehör/Sonstiges/TILLIG Straßenbahngleis.pdf

On 13/05/2021 at 14:02, SteveyDee68 said:

There can be running issues with Tillig track - see Peckett Paradise thread for details! Enough to put me off that system!

Steve S

Does that apply to the Y points as well as the LH/RH points?

Also, are track pieces not aligning properly due to lack of fishplates between the rails, in which case, would adding fishplates help with the alignment?