Sarf London inspired sidings

11 hours ago, Multigauge said:

Initially I was, but the more I've looked at it the more I've thought it could end in tears and broken points. Dunno in short. 

I suggest making the infills for the turnouts as removable units, locating on pins that go through into the baseboard. That's 1 mm brass pins that slide in rather than hammered track-pins. Then you can lift them out and fix them if they give grief. Or lift them out and bin them if they give continual grief. That's what I'm planning for my layout.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/05/2021 at 09:00, jonny777 said:

I like these inner city industrial rail linked layouts. They give scope for adding lots of detail which seems to be missing from many larger industrial models. 

I spent ages looking at photos from the railway in the region of Moorgate and Farringdon in the 1950s/60s and it is amazing the wealth of detail which may not be seen at a first glance. I know that is below street level in places and therefore has a myriad of pipework and other bits and pieces which just add to the atmosphere. 

On 16/05/2021 at 09:00, jonny777 said:

I like these inner city industrial rail linked layouts. They give scope for adding lots of detail which seems to be missing from many larger industrial models. 

I spent ages looking at photos from the railway in the region of Moorgate and Farringdon in the 1950s/60s and it is amazing the wealth of detail which may not be seen at a first glance. I know that is below street level in places and therefore has a myriad of pipework and other bits and pieces which just add to the atmosphere. 

Now that's an area of London that really has a fascinating - and unsung - railway history. A real tangle of lines as well as pipe work. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Some more Wills sheets cut and fitted today. I've found some issues with one section affecting the running of the Peckett. Seems like the sheet may be a smidgen too high so I need to sand it down a tad. 

I've also noticed problems with the Peckett stalling on the frog of the second Y. Problem solving tomorrow...

Managed to cut a kadee magnet in half and it still does a good job in pulling the knuckles apart. 

IMG_20210523_003525400.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Multigauge said:

Managed to cut a kadee magnet in half and it still does a good job in pulling the knuckles apart. 

Useful to know. I imagine the only real issue is more careful positioning when shunting.  I was thinking of cutting one down and disguising it as a barrow crossing - I tried a few different neodymium blutacked in place and couldn't get the level of consistency I wanted (others appear to have used them successfully). What did you use to cut the magnet down?

2 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Useful to know. I imagine the only real issue is more careful positioning when shunting.  I was thinking of cutting one down and disguising it as a barrow crossing - I tried a few different neodymium blutacked in place and couldn't get the level of consistency I wanted (others appear to have used them successfully). What did you use to cut the magnet down?

I can't claim ownership of the idea - it came from elsewhere on this forum. I used a cutting disc, but it is a very tough thing to cut; it did seem to snap like a tile in the end. 

I was interested in using the neo mags but had the same issues under a test bed. I appear to have misplaced them now anyway. And yes, disguising them as some other part of the infrastructure should be easyish.

• Informative/Useful 1

Going back to London yellow brick. How weathered was it say 1940/50s? Did it even look yellow then? 

The only photos I've seen so far in that era have been back and white. 

Edited by Multigauge
Can't spell

Whilst I can't claim direct experience, I've always been under the impression that, prior to the Clean Air Acts, the predominant colour of any exposed masonry in a large urban area was grey/black. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lurgy, trips away and catching up with work has slowed the modeling down somewhat.

However, some more Wills sheets have been fitted and I've made a start on a low relief terrace house back.  

I need to make a set of gates to go between the two buildings; the temporary one is there to give an idea.

IMG_20210609_211201017.jpg

Edited by Multigauge
Poor Grandma
  • Like 6

A bit more progress tonight. A few more sheets of Wills stone setts butchered to fit. Whilst far from perfect, it is also far from finished, but I'm rather pleased with it so far. I intend to fill in any of the large gaps with a bit filler and make it look like detritus. A small amount of fettling has been required - I think in places the sheets are interfering with the loco wheels a smidgen so causing stalling at low speed - but overall, it's running ok. 

I'm not sure how much more of the stone setts I want to lay as I think it may need some variation, but I will see. I think once I've fitted some more of the inlays I shall pause on that front for a bit an concentrate on the arches forming a scenic break, buildings, gates, and hopefully build up a little canal scene.

IMG_20210615_234614787.jpg

IMG_20210615_234533975.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Multigauge said:

A bit of weathering of the setts done. Starting to look a little lived in; more to be done though.

IMG_20210621_224503714.jpg

Hi Matt.

That's starting to take shape. If you can, stick the sections together with polystyrene cement and solvent to hide the joins. (Ideally done before they are permanently stuck down if possible).

A little variation in the shades of the sets works well and the Wills plastic moulding lends itself to having some rendering applied between the stones either with paint or dilute filler. Perhaps finish off with a light dressing of weathering powder.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ray,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. The ship has sailed regarding not being stuck down, but I shall give the solvent method a try. 

There will be little work down now for a good few days due to the room being needed for other purposes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing done on the layout board for a while now due to various reasons that are not modelling related, but I have been trying to get some Wills brick arches suitably coloured up. 

These have been recycled from a layout I built almost 30 years ago. I had painted them red brick but have roughly removed most of paint and started again to get a weathered yellow brick. I've used pastels, chalks and pencils. 

What do think so far?

IMG_20210705_223237578.jpg

IMG_20210705_223247721.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Hi Matt.

Thai is looking good. Reminds me of our old 'Andy Arches' layout that we built as a commission for British Rail Property Board.

That was basically an advert showing the railway viaduct in original condition, much later in 'traditional' use and finally in refurbished and modernised form. The only problem that there was so much brickwork to weather, so we never really did a full job on it.

We have a similar situation with Crystal Palace, but that has even more brickwork !!!

We sold the layout on a couple of years ago to a family in Bexley to form part of a loft layout.

Keep up the good work.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time has been tight over the past few weeks so little has been achieved.

However, I gave the setts a coating of spray varnish to seal in the work done with the pencils/chalks etc. Disappointingly there was some blooming - this happened before of some card structures too - although it doesn't detract too much and tbh I think it will get covered with weathering. 

I have also started to construct the back scene boards, but I've realised that I should have thought a bit harder about how they are going to be secured because the wooden bracing is a bit light; I've been sourcing corner bracing and other suitable brackets to hold everything in place.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Further work done with covering the area with setts. It is still not finished but almost done. I'm pretty happy with the direction it's going in, but I recognise that some on the inset track pieces could be better. You can see where the first half have been finished with various shades of grey intermixed with occasional colours against the bare wills sheets. The back boards have had a single coat of matt emulsion for the time being, but will need to be finished with something else. 

IMG_20210821_134623787.jpg

IMG_20210821_135017368.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Slowly but surely it is starting come together. 2 weeks galavanting around seeing friends, a funeral, festival and returning to work has left little time for much modelling, but I have finally completed laying the setts the night before last; weathering next. I started on lining up the arches that form the scenic break but they need some work. I also built a scalescenes barge over a few nights too, and although I made a mistake here and there I think I've rescued it. I'm too knackered tonight to do anything - photos can wait for another day. 

Edited by Multigauge
Missing word

On 05/07/2021 at 23:09, Multigauge said:

Nothing done on the layout board for a while now due to various reasons that are not modelling related, but I have been trying to get some Wills brick arches suitably coloured up. 

These have been recycled from a layout I built almost 30 years ago. I had painted them red brick but have roughly removed most of paint and started again to get a weathered yellow brick. I've used pastels, chalks and pencils. 

What do think so far?

IMG_20210705_223237578.jpg

IMG_20210705_223247721.jpg

I've just found this thread and it's a great little project. That yellow brick looks superb, I've always found yellow London brick difficult to get right, what colours have you used? 

• Like 1

@sb67 thanks for the kind words. 

The arches were coloured with a mixture of Skin tones soft pastels by Boldmere (stocked by the works from memory) Derwent pastels from Hobbycraft and and polychromus pencils by Faber Castell from WHSmith.

There is a thread on RM web about using pencils - search polychromus - that gave me the idea, but trying to find the right ones was a chore. Dark chrome yellow was used a lot, but I also used light yellow ochre and yellow ochre. Brown ochre, raw umber and burnt sienna were used too. I just did bits at time and sometime wiped bits away if I thought it was overdone. The stone setts have been coloured with a graphite pencil to start then odd ones highlighted with the coloured pencils too. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1