The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

Last one for today of the little photoshoot.DSC09844.jpg.5d87fe1806f8e0054f2282d25115056f.jpg

This week's modelling time will be dedicated to wagon building! Next weekend.......track laying just might begin!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Last night I made my first 009 rolling stock in nearly a year. Three '2 bar' Talyllyn slate wagons and an 'incline' wagon, which I hope to get painted over the next few days.

I have also made some amendments to the track plan, primarily shortening the layout down to '2ft-7in'. There is always a temptation to go 'big', but the long term plan is that 'Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing' as a modular layout, fits to a bigger board which would be 'Skarloey Station'.

Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing (2ft 7)-2.jpg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 19

One more photo for the evening.

No. 6 propelling stock (for the layout this would depict one of the last  workings in 1958, before the Quarry closed and became a permanent RNAD ammo depot).

DSC09962.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Loving the work so far. What couplings are you using on the layout? There seems to be a mix in the photos. I'm thinking of a 009 layout in the future and thinking of going with 3-link but I don't know if it's too fiddly when it comes to operating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom F said:

It's sort of my own method as I wasn't happy with any of the off the shelf couplings.. Wire bar under the buffers of locos and stock, with a single '3 link' loop shackle  and one  shackle opened into a hook. It works, but I'm going to have to remember to hook them up around the bar when not in use, as they will get caught in the points.

I’ve seen both the N Gauge couplings and the peco 009 used but neither suit my fancy. Most of my locos will be 3D Printed so a simple copper bar and 3-link chain will do the job I think...

Excited to see the progress!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Although it’s only in the rough at the moment, it’s very reminiscent of the forestry commission track crossing the Talyllyn near Abergynolwyn station.

Excellent work to be instantly recognisable even at this early stage! Following with interest, although wondering if the Ffarquhar project has been abandoned in favour of this one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Excellent work to be instantly recognisable even at this early stage! Following with interest, although wondering if the Ffarquhar project has been abandoned in favour of this one?

Ffarqhuar is on long term hold. Finances are very limited, and this allows me to still be able to model at least.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thank you for those.

However I will be scratch building the water tower and guttering. It will keep my costs down, but will also help me learn some new skills.

I won’t be needing any road vehicles, other than the AEC Timber Tractor which is kindly being made for me.

• Like 1

Lovely work Tom. It is going to be interesting to see how it develops and looks when finished. 
Do I spy a model of I?
Hands in my Pockets,

Not a care in world.

Trucks rattling and loco steaming,

And I don't seem to give a hoot!

Right that's the end of the (poor) poetry from me! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Lovely work Tom. It is going to be interesting to see how it develops and looks when finished. 
Do I spy a model of I?
Hands in my Pockets,

Not a care in world.

Trucks rattling and loco steaming,

And I don't seem to give a hoot!

Right that's the end of the (poor) poetry from me! 

It is indeed mate! I imagine you'd be letting the fireman do all the work! :lol:

Granted if this is 1945-1952 period, you might be playing the role of 'Mr Hugh' and driving and firing! 

22.jpeg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Work has started on No. 2 'Rheneas'

Now broken down into its component parts ready for the orange livery to be stripped and detailing to commence.

image.png.7b0ac1f80cf7ef4ff1fb1f856c0bbb95.png

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 14

On 24/05/2021 at 10:36, Tom F said:

It is indeed mate! I imagine you'd be letting the fireman do all the work! :lol:

Granted if this is 1945-1952 period, you might be playing the role of 'Mr Hugh' and driving and firing! 

22.jpeg

Well I'd only have myself to blame if it ran out of steam then! 

• Funny 3

Looking good Tom

On 23/05/2021 at 21:40, Tom F said:

The main landscaping work is done. Next stage will be some scribing and plaster work on the rock face (to the left)

86804F3F-8996-463A-ADA4-2E6E50ECA0F5.jpeg

350740AB-7657-4F35-8E92-4B96BE54FFC8.jpeg

014267C3-A1C1-42E2-939D-267C0724E4B7.jpeg

Looking good. How have you constructed the baseboards? 

Will

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LBSC123 said:

Looking good Tom

Looking good. How have you constructed the baseboards? 

Will

Thanks Will

It is various layers of 10mm foam board.

Just had a browse of your Welsh Highland thread, very nice! Love the rocky outcrops. I'm going to be scribing into the polystyrene rock face, before adding plaster to resemble the craggy rock face in the illustrations (and at Nant Gwernol)

DSG_2302_LR.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Tom F said:

Thanks Will

It is various layers of 10mm foam board.

Just had a browse of your Welsh Highland thread, very nice! Love the rocky outcrops. I'm going to be scribing into the polystyrene rock face, before adding plaster to resemble the craggy rock face in the illustrations (and at Nant Gwernol)

DSG_2302_LR.jpg

The baseboard looks like an interesting idea, I'll be interested to see how it lasts. Thanks for the comments regarding the WHR Layout, it was my first foray into modelling for about 10 years and was built under the (self inflicted) time pressures of lockdown and so has a few areas I know I could do better next time! I'm trying hard to resist starting another OO9 Layout/Diorama and this isn't helping!

Looking forward to seeing the layout progress, keep up the good work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rheneas is coming along nicely. It’s gone from looking like an animated cartoon character into something actually resembling No. 2!

image.png.90adaad00a8652ca680b519ff58f1351.png

Mocked up the water tower on the layout too which helps give a nice impression of how it will all look.

image.png.120ff44836af19828ab5caa8fffd9b30.png

image.png.35b476a0a8837009ae1eedc59725d043.png

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1