The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

15 hours ago, Tortuga said:

The orangey red of the loco really stands out against that rock face. Excellent work!

Thanks Tortuga!
Really pleased how it's all coming together.

I’ve begun work on the water tower this evening.

One side of the tower, the resin seemed partially melted. So I’ve given it the same treatment as the aqueduct pillars, adding micro strip pieces, plus I've added the water tank rivets.

image.png.a4820e2ddf4a22bafc123ecd7893b06d.png

image.png.bb84dd58cefee74c34188a904461f9f3.png

I’ve also ordered some etched ladders, and a grid/manhole cover for the excess water.

image.png.2b8d527618fe034c711f7ceeaec8abc5.png

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

New rock face now given a spray of chaos black. Pleased with how it butts up to the original piece.

Later today I’ll glue the track extensions down.

image.png.789a578104ab25e053606613fb30476f.png

image.png.8bd55d5844e7d5b3654c2132a88a33e2.png

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Tom, 

What a smashing thread. This will look lovely. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Tom, 

What a smashing thread. This will look lovely. 

Rob. 

Morning Rob and many thanks! :)

I originally started working on locos and rolling stock over a year ago, but last summer my mental health took a bit of a stumble and I stepped away from modelling (other than client's weathering). Getting back into it was one of the best things I could have done.

The plan is to make small micro layouts of a number of other Skarloey Railway locations.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear of that Tom but it happens to the best of us at some point. 

However this modelling lark  is a great antidote and its lovely to see this coming along. 

I shall look forward to the others as they emerge. 

Following this with interest aplenty !

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Some absolutely wonderful and inspirational modelling, which is giving me more improper ideas! 

I've seen a number of your posts about this on the Twitter machine, but ever so glad I stumbled across it here for the added detail and explanations! 

Rheneas looks absolutely fantastic, the extra detail (and especially new chimney - where's that from please?) really bring the loco to life.

I don't know if you've mentioned it anywhere else, but is there any chance you could give us a bit of background info on the models you've used for the various locos and rolling stock please?

Very much looking forward to further updates.

Cheers

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Some absolutely wonderful and inspirational modelling, which is giving me more improper ideas! 

I've seen a number of your posts about this on the Twitter machine, but ever so glad I stumbled across it here for the added detail and explanations! 

Rheneas looks absolutely fantastic, the extra detail (and especially new chimney - where's that from please?) really bring the loco to life.

I don't know if you've mentioned it anywhere else, but is there any chance you could give us a bit of background info on the models you've used for the various locos and rolling stock please?

Very much looking forward to further updates.

Cheers

J

Good to hear from you Jaymz!

I'm afraid I came off twitter over a year ago. I found the 'Thomas Community' generally didn't help my mental health. I tried to make it clear my models weren't 'Trains with faces' and it was about depicting a real railway as Awdry intended. On one occasion I did ask that I wasn't tagged or people didn't post TV series related content to my profile which didn't go down particularly well. It was the worse decision I ever made posting my Awdry modelling on twitter.

This is why I now limit where I post to RMweb, or sharing in a couple of Facebook groups.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

On 24/07/2021 at 22:46, Tom F said:

This has just spurred me on to carry on writing my book 'The Skarloey Railway: A History', which will feature photographs of Scaca Fell, and the future layouts I plan.

The layout, as many have said, looks superb. I must add that this paragraph sounds very interesting too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 1722 said:

The layout, as many have said, looks superb. I must add that this paragraph sounds very interesting too!

Thank you Chris!

I'm working on with help from a friend of mine. Chapter 1 is completed and I'm just working on to discussing the arrival of Skarloey and Rheneas. It's a long term project, as I want to avoid using any copyrighted material from the Railway Series (which is owned by Mattel), so photography will be made up of Talyllyn Railway and my own layout shots.

That's the plan anyway.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Good to hear from you Jaymz!

I'm afraid I came off twitter over a year ago. I found the 'Thomas Community' generally didn't help my mental health. I tried to make it clear my models weren't 'Trains with faces' and it was about depicting a real railway as Awdry intended. On one occasion I did ask that I wasn't tagged or people didn't post TV series related content to my profile which didn't go down particularly well. It was the worse decision I ever made posting my Awdry modelling on twitter.

This is why I now limit where I post to RMweb, or sharing in a couple of Facebook groups.

It must have been one of the NG modelling groups on FB that I saw it then, I have found and joined the 'official' group this morning! There are some really good RWS modellers out there, but from what I've seen from the outskirts of the fandom, there do seem to be a LOT of negative people in it, who don't seem to appreciate genuine skill and effort like yours, which is a crying shame.

I'm glad that you kept going though as your work is indeed inspirational, though my bank account and workbench may not agree as I've already got several new ideas floating around!

Cheers

J

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I'm glad that you kept going though as your work is indeed inspirational, though my bank account and workbench may not agree as I've already got several new ideas floating around!

Cheers

J

Thanks J!

I must admit, it was one of the contributing factors that I stopped modelling for a good 10 months. It ground me down on twitter and deleting my account was the best decision I could have made.

The RMweb thread and my own group (which I am glad to see you have joined) are a welcome outlet for series Awdry discussion. :)

• Friendly/supportive 3