The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Beautifully depicted. 

Well done, Tom. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob

It's not been too bad today. Kept busy pottering on the layout. Tomorrow I'll be adding more slate fencing. :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Steph' H said:

This just keeps getting better and better. Just loving how the vegetation is layering up and looking lush.

Thanks Steph.

Just some more bracken to add and some trees across the front and we are about there! :)

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Tom this is very inspiring.

Where did you get the parts to improve Rheneas if you don’t mind me asking?

Thank you!

It's the Narrow Planet detailing kit. They had just got a new batch of stock in when I checked the other day, but it now appears sold out again.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/npc-017?_pos=3&_sid=e33ac93e4&_ss=r

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tom F said:

On  cold autumn afternoon in 1954, the crew of No. 3 'Sir Handel' quickly get the tank filled at 'Thie Ushtey'. With a biting wind coming down the valley, they do not intend to hang around. 
image.png.5f75dfba8e47332b02a23256df722b60.png

Damn good show. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/08/2021 at 14:05, Tom F said:

Yesterday, I was incredibly privileged to be involved with the Awdry Extravaganza at the Talyllyn Railway. I had a brief stint on operating the Reverend Awdry's Ffarquhar layout (my goodness that Percy model has a mind of his own!!)

236298985_10158659589412984_608435375787926871_n.jpeg.3d6c05276b5163f3eecf981741f39058.jpeg

Fantastic seeing the original illustrations on display, and the Reverend's Ulfstead Road 009 layout depicting the Mid Sodor Railway. The evening came to a close, with Railway Historian Tim Dunn reading part of the Reverend Awdry's own 'Railway of Sodor' lecture notes.

237119283_10158660124242984_7389889352042880016_n.jpeg.77f10035a2fe095d4e44d1c712f3d529.jpeg

The highlight though, was meeting Veronica Chambers and her husband Richard again, for the first time in 24 years when I first met them at the Reverend Wilbert Awdry's memorial service (when I was 11). Richard took photos of my models of Rheneas and Sir Handel.

236098459_10158659589192984_9108782875730630771_n.jpeg.c6c96c53191b05b1da4d3e7355031d26.jpeg

A truly wonderful day, and was worth the 9 hours in the car. Special thanks to @ExplosiveCookie for organising the event

On the table of illustrations, can I see the Skarloey Railway's version of TR's No7, Tom Rolt?
This latout just gets better and better,
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Benbow said:

Going to miss your updates on what has turned into a fantastic bit of scenic modelling. Thank you!

Thanks Benbow!

I'll keep posting, just possibly not as much. I will have rolling stock updates, and I've current two 4mm landrovers on the workbench that need weathering. I also need to make the fiddle yards for Scaca Fell too.

I just know what I'm like and I'll either over saturate or bore people with photos.

Plus, Scaca Fell is the first in several Skarloey layouts to follow:

1. Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing (which includes the start of the exchange sidings at Ward Fell) *Completed

2. Skarloey Station (based on Abergynolwyn), the passenger terminus of the line,

3. Glennock (intermediate station, based strongly on Aberllefenni on the Corris
4. Cros-ny-Cuirn (first station out of Crovan's Gate, based on Rhydyronen on the Talyllyn). I'll also be depicting the road running along the side.

I'd then like to also do some dioramas depicting:

1. Rheneas Station

2. Tunnel Portal (northern section)

So this thread has plenty more to discuss as we go along :)

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Thanks Benbow!

I'll keep posting, just possibly not as much. I will have rolling stock updates, and I've current two 4mm landrovers on the workbench that need weathering. I also need to make the fiddle yards for Scaca Fell too.

I just know what I'm like and I'll either over saturate or bore people with photos.

Plus, Scaca Fell is the first in several Skarloey layouts to follow:

1. Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing (which includes the start of the exchange sidings at Ward Fell) *Completed

2. Skarloey Station (based on Abergynolwyn), the passenger terminus of the line,

3. Glennock (intermediate station, based strongly on Aberllefenni on the Corris
4. Cros-ny-Cuirn (first station out of Crovan's Gate, based on Rhydyronen on the Talyllyn). I'll also be depicting the road running along the side.

I'd then like to also do some dioramas depicting:

1. Rheneas Station

2. Tunnel Portal (northern section)

So this thread has plenty more to discuss as we go along :)

Out of interest will you be able to join the layouts together to give a longer run?

• Like 1

Tom, I have no words for your work and I'm fairly certain it would be impossible to over-saturate us with such wonderful modelling! 

A quick question, if I may. Where do you get the sea moss trees from - I'm most impressed from them and am thinking something similar would work on my planned layout. Thanks.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say 'keep posting, whatever it may be!'

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tom F said:

Well, there we have it!

241033457_10158682890742984_1242475658321993217_n.jpeg.65e7b2a240000bcbd0e42f460ebd1c37.jpeg

For all intents and purposes, the layout is scenically finished as I've just finished adding the additional pieces of bracken. I'm just waiting on the deluxe materials water for the aqueduct which should be arriving this week.

I'm sort of sad we have reached this point, as I've loved seeing it come to life. I'd had a vision of how I hoped the layout would look, and that has helped to keep my focus throughout. The next stage is working on a way to attach the layout to some foam board fiddle yards. My current thoughts are to use two pieces of 6mm ply to act as the touching faces between the two boards, and use bolts to secure the alignment.

I'll be cooling off from posting as much now. I don't want to over saturate the layout's exposure, and I've stock to be getting on with, in particular No. 1 'Skarloey'. I just need to build up the confidence to tackle making the piston rods, cross heads and motion bracket.

Thanks for all the lovely support. I've thoroughly enjoyed putting this layout together and escaping to this lovely little bit of Awdry's Sodor.

240880200_10158683206287984_2008289714433271532_n.jpeg.b95a64c5acdfb03b77c5cdb34dbf6217.jpeg

This is one of those layouts that is as near perfect as I can imagine.
It's a work of art and has stirred some memories of my time on the TR as a volunteer.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1