The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

8 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Yes you can he’s in the bottom left corner ^_^

No7 has always been a favourite of mine.
She was still a set of frames when I stopped volunteering. I have had numerous great trips behind her on subsequent visits.
I assume she's too modern for your period of the SR, Tom.
I look forward to seeing more posts from this layout as well as the subsequent layouts you build.
Take Care,
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Out of interest will you be able to join the layouts together to give a longer run?

Possibly, it would nice to join Scaca to the next board. Something I'm very much keeping in mind.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

No7 has always been a favourite of mine.
She was still a set of frames when I stopped volunteering. I have had numerous great trips behind her on subsequent visits.
I assume she's too modern for your period of the SR, Tom.
I look forward to seeing more posts from this layout as well as the subsequent layouts you build.
Take Care,
Regards,
Chris.

Yes No. 7 'Ivo Hugh' is a bit too late for my modelling period. I'm pretty much covering up to 1960, which covers the period before the quarry closes and the MoD take ownership, plus before the loop line opens.

The sale of the quarry to the MoD funded a loop around Skarloey Lake, used predominantly in the summer months.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Tom top drawer stuff, read the whole thread over the last couple of days after Rob @NHY 581mentioned it.

What a fantastic build you have achieved, so realistic like all of your work though!

The photography is a credit to you too.

Looking forward to more of your quest to build more of the railway.

I’ll be also interested to see how the foam board holds up.

cheers

Ade

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tom F said:

"Trucks!" snorted Sir Handel, "TRUCKS!"

"Yes," his Driver repeated, "Trucks."

Sir Handel jerked forward; "I won't!" he muttered, "so there!" He lurched, bumped, and stopped. His Driver and Fireman got out.

"Told you!" said Sir Handel triumphantly.'

image.png.f73563637bc7a86045d19d150d776b79.png

Just like No3 did when she first came to the TR.
She wasn't keen on the TR's 'interesting' permanent way!
Love the shot.
Get the jacks out boys.
In this time period, is Mr Rusty/Midlander working on the line, or is it too early?
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2021 at 14:21, Sandhole said:

Just like No3 did when she first came to the TR.
She wasn't keen on the TR's 'interesting' permanent way!
Love the shot.
Get the jacks out boys.
In this time period, is Mr Rusty/Midlander working on the line, or is it too early?
Regards,
Chris.

No5 is a favourite of mine.
I cut my diesel driving teeth on her on the Nant Gwernol extension.
She taught me a lot.
In those days, she had four separate exhaust pipes. To stop water getting down the pipes, tin cans were put over them.
One morning an over-enthusiastic working party member started the starting cycle.
Decomp engaged, throttle set, start winding the handle like a maniac. When the engine was turning he threw the decomp just as I shouted, "DON'T"
Too late, four cans went flying into the air and bombarded us as the engine fired!
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning Tom, 

I've been looking back through the thread, can you just confirm if the track you've used is the PECO 009 trackwork ? 

Your thread has inspired me to think about a little something for a Bachmann Hunslet or two............{ Well, they are on the way......ish}. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Tom, 

I've been looking back through the thread, can you just confirm if the track you've used is the PECO 009 trackwork ? 

Your thread has inspired me to think about a little something for a Bachmann Hunslet or two............{ Well, they are on the way......ish}. 

Rob. 

Morning Rob!

I can confirm that the track work is indeed peco 009.

I'm going to have to acquire some more in due course, as I'm planning the next Skarloey layout with my friend @BritishGypsum4 :)

• Like 4