The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

1 hour ago, westerner said:

Hi Tom, only just come across this, magnificent modelling as usual Tom

Hi Alan! Lovely to hear from you.

Just had a catch up on your 7mm modelling, looking stunning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

The driver looks like a man who is patiently hoping the old girl is going to make it back 

If Rheneas is driven from the same side as TRNo2, then I think that's the fireman.
Sorry,
I'll get my coat.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

45 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

If Rheneas is driven from the same side as TRNo2, then I think that's the fireman.
Sorry,
I'll get my coat.
Regards,
Chris.

It is indeed the fireman, although in this case it’s the driver ‘Bill Thwaite’ letting young fireman ‘Ben Taylforth’ have a go on the regulator. :) 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Tom F said:

It is indeed the fireman, although in this case it’s the driver ‘Bill Thwaite’ letting young fireman ‘Ben Taylforth’ have a go on the regulator. :) 

AH, the TR proceedure of letting the fireman gain experience doing light engine moves and empty stock.
Thanks Tom.
This layout brings back many happy memories and the modelling is exquisite.
Best Wishes,
Chris.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hi Tom, great work, enjoying the thread.

Apologies if you have said already but what's the source of the ferns you've used on the layout?

Hi Chris

They were from the Noch range of ferns. They come in a shaded green finish which looks pretty good, but as I'm depicting the autumn I repainted the majority of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tom F said:

Lass the border collie looks on, as the loaded are given the 'Right away' out of the exchange sidings.

image.png.5ee460ac5bb33b4dac5927cf30e5fcae.png

She's a good girl.
How's the Douglas coming on Tom?
A Friend has a story of a Unipower demonstrator timber tractor plus driver, came to the big estate he worked on.
It was the Dogs parts. It had double axle steering. Big winch, land anchor, the lot. My mate Ted asked, "Why do we need double steer?"
The driver looked down his nose at him and said, "I can get out of anywhere with this!" He then parked so close to the big Cotswold Stone barn, that he couldn't turn the wheels sufficient to get away from it!
You've guessed it, Ted got his Fordson, a chain and hoiked him out sideways.
They carried on hauling what bit of timber they had, with tractors and horses!
Chris.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Tom F said:

Ah the Douglas is pretty much complete (courtesy of Corbs) but is on hold for the moment while I work on rolling stock.

As for Lass, she is indeed a very good girl. The model you see really is her too, @alanbuttlerscanned her when he scanned my late Dad back in 2016.

image.png.60c5a08bcbbd8a9b29c91f904ac1238b.png

Here's Lass on top of Blake Fell in the Western Fells of Lakeland

That is a Stupendous shot.:heart_mini:
Hugs,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The War Department is coming to Ward Fell!

image.png.d00655aea79195be43bb2dcc7b6664e0.png

The fabricated headstock extensions have worked well, and the buffers line up nice with Rheneas’s when I checked last night.

Some more detailing to add before fitting the roof and painting. The transfers arrived earlier in the week.

• Like 17

• Tom F changed the title to The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

How is the Kerr Stuart Diesel coming along Tom?
I've re-read your excellent site and re-found the post with the kit and the aged Minitrix chassis.
I have a VERY OLD Peco Varikit with that chassis. I got the beast out of storage and gave it a run. Bit of persuasion and off she went, for the first time in over 30 years.
Quality chassis.
Chris.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sandhole said:

How is the Kerr Stuart Diesel coming along Tom?
I've re-read your excellent site and re-found the post with the kit and the aged Minitrix chassis.
I have a VERY OLD Peco Varikit with that chassis. I got the beast out of storage and gave it a run. Bit of persuasion and off she went, for the first time in over 30 years.
Quality chassis.
Chris.

Not touched it I’m afraid, not until a get the chassis from N Drive. I always like to have both kit and chassis before I start work.

In the meantime, Rheneas will be on WD haulage duty :) 

• Like 4

I just love this, I still find it hard to believe you think you could over saturate us with images!

Its inspired me To think  (purely think, I have neither the skill of the knowledge of scales etc)  about something similar with Rex, Mike and Bert and their line and what mileage there would be in that. 

Keep posting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1722 said:

Its inspired me To think  (purely think, I have neither the skill of the knowledge of scales etc)  about something similar with Rex, Mike and Bert and their line and what mileage there would be in that. 

Funny you should mention that!

More tomorrow.... ;)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1