The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

On 01/10/2021 at 18:04, 1722 said:

I just love this, I still find it hard to believe you think you could over saturate us with images!

Its inspired me To think  (purely think, I have neither the skill of the knowledge of scales etc)  about something similar with Rex, Mike and Bert and their line and what mileage there would be in that. 

Keep posting. 

All can be revealed.

@BritishGypsum4 and myself went on an adventure.....a rather damp adventure.

image.png.baf2f27bd878c6d85493f1fa120ec9c8.png

• Like 19

Hey Tom, 

loving reading about your modelling and the history behind your layout. Amazing work!. I’m planning a Skarloey station layout to get started as I’ve not built a layout yet. 

What are the kits you have used for the vans and what paints do you use for your Skarloey locos, blue for the rolling stock?. 

im thinking of starting small with some vans in blue as in Steamroller, a Cora and maybe Rusty 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tom F said:

By late 1940, it had become clear that this war wasn't going to be over any time soon. The War Department, looking to increase its number of ammunition depots across the British Isles, made contact with Sir Handel Brown, owner of the Ward Fell Slate Quarry and Skarloey Railway, enquiring as to the purchase of some of the old disused slate workings. Sir Handel Brown, wasn't too keen to sell off parts of his quarry, with slate production increasing due to wartime demand. However, he did wish to do his bit for king and country and agreed to a lease of the old workings to the W.D.

Goods work was already increasing on the Skarloey Railway, with timber and the aforementioned slate production. With this new addition of ammunition trains, it became clear very quickly that the two old engines No. 1 'SKARLOEY' and No. 2 'RHENEAS' wouldn't be able to handle the work alone.

The Government, in this time of national crisis agreed to the loan of two diesel locomotives to the railway. However, until they arrive (which could be some time).....No. 1 and No. 2 will have to cope as best they can....

image.png.7042f7c6368e7b82dfa7d6355f3dd31f.png

BLOODY GORGEOUS.:heart_mini:

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom F said:

Simmering in the exchange sidings. Fireman Ben Taylforth has the footplate to himself, while driver Bill Thwaite has a wander up the yard to have a chat with a few of the quarry lads.

image.png.f8d83efb9503655df2f4bbcec46386b3.png

Another superb photo, Tom. 

quick question, if I may. What make are the bolster wagons please?

Thank you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, 1722 said:

Another superb photo, Tom. 

quick question, if I may. What make are the bolster wagons please?

Thank you. 

Thanks Chris, they are the Rodney Stenning Talyllyn style bolster, which I think is now under the Dundas Models label. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1