The Skarloey Railway 1942-1960: Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing

Tom F

Only just come across this topic. Absolutely stunning modelling (and photography) Thank you for a couple of hours enjoyable reading. I do like the story that goes with the cameo photos which draw you in even further. 
Regards. 
Bill. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Only just come across this topic. Absolutely stunning modelling (and photography) Thank you for a couple of hours enjoyable reading. I do like the story that goes with the cameo photos which draw you in even further. 
Regards. 
Bill. 

Thanks Bill!

Well even though my focus is now on the new layout, I'll make sure to keep some cameo photos coming for this thread.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Hello Tom,

due to the link in the NGRM-online forum I have discovered this fine thread about your excellent layout.

That is top-class modelling !

Thank you very much for building, photographing and showing this.

Most enjoyable.

Yesterday night I have read all 17 pages and admired your pictures.

It took around 2 hours as I am not a native english speaker, but it was really worth the time.

Well, square eyes afterwards...

I do look forward for your new project then, which I follow -this time on NGRM-online- with some pleasure.

Best wishes

Dirk 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/01/2022 at 09:01, hespertalbahn said:

Hello Tom,

due to the link in the NGRM-online forum I have discovered this fine thread about your excellent layout.

Me too!  Haven't read through all of it yet, but its looking lovely.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/01/2022 at 09:01, hespertalbahn said:

Hello Tom,

Thank you very much for building, photographing and showing this.

Most enjoyable.

And me too. Just read it from start to here. Bl**dy fantastic.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I came across a shot of a Baldwin 4-6-0 that appeared to have derailed on the crossing, on Instagram.
Any chance of seeing that on this thread, please.
Regards,
Chris.

Hi Chris

It's in the Ballamoddey thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/169184-ballamoddey-1937-on-the-mid-sodor-railway/&do=findComment&comment=4760703

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't normally buy the modeller but this could well be an exception. 

Tom is an artist. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I don't normally buy the modeller but this could well be an exception. 

Tom is an artist. 

Rob. 

Wholeheartedly agree! Have to admit I’m missing my fix of his modelling - he seems to have gone very quiet on here.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Wholeheartedly agree! Have to admit I’m missing my fix of his modelling - he seems to have gone very quiet on here.

Had a very nice message from Tom when I posted about this thread in the Ffarquhar layout at Warley thread and he mentioned the RM article.

I think there’s some over enthusiastic analysis of his stunning vision by some that were draining the fun for him so he’s limited his constructional posts for now. 
Fortunately he’s done the article and hopefully will share more in the same way over time and I hope the article has also helped fund more 😀 Much like Gordon Gravett, James Hilton and others I think Tom has a good future in print, if he so chooses, for some inspirational layouts and writing just by enjoying it on his terms. 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Had a very nice message from Tom when I posted about this thread in the Ffarquhar layout at Warley thread and he mentioned the RM article.

I think there’s some over enthusiastic analysis of his stunning vision by some that were draining the fun for him so he’s limited his constructional posts for now. 
Fortunately he’s done the article and hopefully will share more in the same way over time and I hope the article has also helped fund more 😀 Much like Gordon Gravett, James Hilton and others I think Tom has a good future in print, if he so chooses, for some inspirational layouts and writing just by enjoying it on his terms. 

Well put, Paul. 

Sadly, there are some on here that fail to appreciate just how damaging their comments can be. 

As a result, we all lose out. 

I reiterate, Tom possesses a rare talent. I only wish I had a small part of his ability. 

Rob. 

• Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I reiterate, Tom possesses a rare talent. I only wish I had a small part of his ability. 

I agree with the first bit and tosh you’re too modest for the second bit. 
It’s just nice we can all find the best way for us to share our exploits, in print, on forums or social media. The good stuff gets out eventually anyway 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Tom now sticks to posting on his personal Facebook page as he was having some issues with certain elements of the Thomas fandom

That’s a shame.

I’ll try looking him up on Facebook. I really enjoyed following his work on Cwm Prysor, but his take on the railways of Sodor encouraged me to look at the works of Rev Awdry in a new light - I’d never considered them in the context of a ‘fictional’ / ‘might-have-been’ line before, but, by the powers, it works so well!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, A Murphy said:

That is an outstanding, atmospheric picture. Lovely Tom, thank you.

My first thoughts were 'ridiculously good', too.

Years ago, Andy Y used the term 'inspirational' for the best model pics, and surely this sits squarely in that category. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

My initial thought was “that’s an excellent drone shot of the Talyllyn”.

…but it’s not is it?

@Tom F I genuinely don’t think anything anyone can say about that picture and model will ever be able to fully express how good it actually is.

Please, please, please take more photos of your work and post them up on here - I need that inspiration to drive me to reach those heights I’ll never achieve (though I’ll try).

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My first thoughts were 'ridiculously good', too.

Years ago, Andy Y used the term 'inspirational' for the best model pics, and surely this sits squarely in that category. 

I’d say it defines that category!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Inspirational is the word and an understanding of how a railway in the landscape really looks.

It takes me back to being twelve years old or so when a couple of friends and I tried hacking our way through the undergrowth to find and follow the remains of the 2ft gauge Cliffe Hill Railway. I can remember standing in several places trying to picture what it was like in the thirties with a train running through, your last picture sums up that day.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1